Wharton???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Wharton???
By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:41 am: Edit

so if anyone has any insight into this it would be much appreciated.

i'm currently a junior at The Lawrenceville School and am looking to pursue business, being that Wharton is the best undergrad business program out there, my aims are set for that. i was wondering if anyone could help me asses my chances..

freshman GPA = 4.0 (public school)
sophmore GPA = 4.0 (public school)
junior GPA = 3.6 (lawrenceville school)

the dip in my junoir year GPA can be explained by the fact that i switched schools and needed to adjust to the harder curriculum at lawrenceville... when getting a reccomendation from my college counselor i plan to have him mention this. keep in mind that my courseload has been rigorous throughout.

Sat 1 - 1440 (will retake in octover, was sick when i orginally took it, have prepared and have taken practice tests that have turned out to be in the 1500-1550 range)

Sat 2:

2c- 800
chem - 780
writing - 750
US - 680

AP:

Comp Sci A - 5
BC - 5
Chem - 5
US - 4
English - 3

Extracurric/Misc.:

Varsity XC
State Medal winner for science olympiad
Community Service Award for outstanding achievement (200+ hours)
state computer science compitition winner
wrote a magazine article that was published (junior year)
various jobs during the summer
Student Newspaper

i know that wharton values a good math perperation. being that i got an 800 2c and a 5 BC i think i have a good shot. however, i am worried about my chances because it is verrry tough to get into. i plan to apply early. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. THANKS!

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:49 am: Edit

Looks pretty good.
I have a question though, why is there like a 500% increase in people wanting to apply to Wharton? I mean is it all the IB threads we started? Competition isnt good! lol
GoodLuck though!

By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

hahah reaaaalllly?? i didnt see that many other wharton prospectives.....eehhhhh if there are idk iif thats good....

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:42 am: Edit

i don't think your chances are very good for wharton. what business ec's or economics skill have you shown? and your stats are average for their pool of applicants, maybe with a real high sat you'd get closer to a 50/50 shot, but i don't know.

By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

in response to 80drofnats:

you are probably more familiar with the wharton pool than i am. and since you are i would like to know more about the stats of the kids that apply there.

however, academically, i do ask you to keep in mind the follwing.
A) although my (unweighted) GPA at lawrenceville may be lower, you have to keep in mind that i did take the most rigorous courseload, and that lawrenceville is one of the most challenging highschool programs out there, i do hope penn admissions would keep that in mind.

b) yes, youre absolutely right about my SAT scores, they are pretty low, but i have been preparing, and on my most recent practice tests ive been in the 1500-1550 range

c) as for ec's, i feel that my non business ec's are strong enough to show that i am a student who is involved. as for business interest, i am taking both macro and micro this year. i plan to get a letter of recc from my teacher delineating my interest in the subject area.

but i think you made good points, let me know what you think about my ideas/strategies mentioned above. and thanks a lot for your input.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Don't listen to 80drofnats. It's a huge myth that wharton expects you to have business ECs. You will have to show them in your essays that you have an interest or a passion for business but they don't really care if you have business ECs. I didn't have any nor did many of my friends. My regional rep even admitted this to me. You're SATs are good and they are in penn's 25-75 range. One of the things penn looks for is good math skills - which you have. They also really really really like to see that you are a leader in your community. They would rather have a leader than a kid who had crappy business ECs like FBLA and DECA. So I would recommend trying to get leadership positions this year in some of your clubs or even START a business club, finance club, etc. (something that might be valuable).

What's your class rank?? If you're in the top 10% of your class then you have a good shot.

By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

im not in the top 10% unfortunately....top 20%, but remember that generally 20% of the kids per graduating class in my school go to ivys. so im assuming top 20% there is the equivalent of top 10% elsewhere.

on a side note, my uncle went to wharton, would tht help me out?

By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:45 pm: Edit

ps. thanks a lot for the tips, now i know where to channel my efforts in the coming months....

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

I think that to be considered a legacy your parents, siblings, or grandparents needed to go to penn but it can't hurt to put down your uncle maybe they'll give more attention to your app esp if you apply ED. Well if top 20% in your school usually go to ivy's then you probably have a really good chance. Just focus your efforts on showing them leadership. When I applied I had no business ECs. I just had NHS (pres.), French NHS (pres.), varsity and club soccer (captain 4 both), AZ St. NHS Board, and I volunteered and helped organize volunteer events for various organizations. So pretty much my ECs were normal but I had leadership positions in all of them.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Bern700, are you playing soccer in school?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

I was going to play varsity until I tore my ACL, so i was **NOT** able to benefit in admissions for being an athlete. Now I'm just going to play for penn's club team as I would rather just play 3-4/week in a less intense atmosphere and focus more on my studies. Playing varsity and going to wharton would be so intense!!! You practice 2x/DAY then go to class, to a ton of homework, and still try to maintain a social life...i would never survive that.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

It is intense.
How good are these guys at Penn? If my son makes the all county first team, but doesn't play club soccer because he also plays golf, does he have a chance?
Or do you have to be a state player?Or whatever?
What do you think?
One more thing, does Penn look at freshman grades?

By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

thanks a lot Bern700.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

well the varsity players are really really good. All of them are Adidas ESP Camp players (top 300 players in the nation program), ODP captains, state,regional, national champions. Many are in the national pool and could be called up for the national team. I think they even have one player right now who is a reserve player on the French national team.

For the club team, the players consist primarily of former high school varsity players who were good (many were all county, all city 1st or 2nd team, etc) but not all stars. You practice 3 times/week and play games once a week versus other university club teams. Like this year we play JMU,all the Ivys, Gtown, American, Bucknell, etc. It is much more relaxed and IMO way more fun.

Your son could probably easily play club. I'm not entirely sure if Penn looks at freshman grades. I think that they might look them over but I don't think that too much emphasis is placed on them. They would rather see progress and improvement in grades. If your son has ok freshman grades and the rest of his grades are outstanding then I don't think it will be a problem.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Bern700, thanks for the info.
I had no idea these varsity players were so good.
Club soccer looks like a lot of fun while still being great soccer.

By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

bump

By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

bump

By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 07:17 am: Edit

Bern700, whats is Wharton's 25-75?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

well penn's is like 1330-1510. So you're in that range. Wharton's is similar but probably a little higher like 1390-1560.

By Somedaynever (Somedaynever) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

thanks man, anyone else?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page