How much will this affect me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: How much will this affect me?
By Catalinaword (Catalinaword) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

After my sophomore year, I moved from California to Texas, my mom is in the military. Will colleges take this into consideration? The reason I'm wondering is because although its a harder school than my old one I am doing much better. So will colleges still keep into consideration that I moved? Thanks....also one more question how much does being Black really help? I've been hearing not much.

By Catalinaword (Catalinaword) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

anyone please?

By Intheory (Intheory) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

if there is a drop in grades, change in extracurricular activities, etc- yeah, schools will generally accept the move as an explaination and not hold it *as much* against you (it still could hurt you despite the move)- however some schools will be more understanding than others- if you are looking at elite schools, make sure you hit the ground running at your new school and keep your grades up

being Black gives you URM (under represented minority) status, and it is an advantage, but once again, it depends on the school you are applying to- some schools see more qualified Black applicants than others

By Catalinaword (Catalinaword) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Thanks, some of my ec's have dropped just because of it being hard to find new clubs and organizations to be a part of, but for the most part my grades have actually gotten better.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

you can write about it in your essays explaining how you've overcome the challenge of moving at a time when you had just finished adjusting to your old h.s. atmosphere. You've even done better despite the fact that you had to leave your comfort zone and struggled with adjusting to a new environment. Also if some of the ECs that you did in Cali are not available in Texas why not start those clubs at your school? It will show the colleges that you are a leader.

By Catalinaword (Catalinaword) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

That's a really good idea...I just wish I would have thought of it earlier, thanks for the response!

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Colleges generally view improvement in grades as a positive; also a number do not even consider freshman year grades. URM status can help at many colleges -- it gives you a plus factor and can help if you are borderline but it generally won't work miracles. Also, in Texas, where you are now (and in California, where you were before), the state colleges do not consider race as a factor. Texas does have a 10% rule -- a Texas university must admit applicants whose class rank is in the top 10% of their class.

By Catalinaword (Catalinaword) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Yeah I know that the UC's do not consider if you are a URM or not..thanks for the responses more would be great!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page