Chances at Skidmore College

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances at Skidmore College
By Corman842 (Corman842) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Just going around online, I have become more and more confused as to whether or not Skidmore College is a reach for me, if it's range, and in some cases it even seems like a safety. My college advisor says it's well within range, but other places seems to place it above me. Thus, I am here to see what you think. Here are my college stats:
3.36 GPA at a highly competitive private Quaker school
As an addendum to that, my transcript shows a strong upward trend. Year by year it is as follows:
Freshmen: 2.85
Sophmore: 3.4
Junior: 3.82
There was one honors course in freshmen year, but that was what pulled down the GPA (a C...seems I'm not of the Geometric mind.) I will be taking honors Physics next year. I, unfortunatly, have no AP's

My SAT was 1240 taken once with little preparation. I plan to take it again with prep in hopes of pulling it up to 1300.
I've been in newspaper, I'm currently in GSBA (Gay straight bisexual alliance) I may consider an extra chorus activity next year. My school requires 10 hours of community service and I've been very much involved with service in fairmont park (philadelphia) through that. I have been in the regular chorus all 4 years and I'm also a photo major, taking advanced photo next year. Last year I had a total of 7 academic majors, including ancient Greek which I will continue next year. I took latin for three years prior to that. I will have taken 4 years each of math, science, english, foriegn language and 3.5 years of history. I've had a summer job for the past 2 years and have done weekends afterschool in that same job.

I just got back from visiting Skidmore and the more I think about it, the more it just seems to be perfect for me. If their financial aid program is as good as they say it is, I may just get to go there if I get accepted too, but thats something to think about later. My first step is getting in, then I can worry about that.

Also, for anyone familiar with Skidmore admissions, do you recommend I take any SAT II's? The man at the info session said it wasn't necessary, but their profile on Princeton Review says they recommend three SAT II's...there seems to be a descrepancy here. Although Princeton Review always seems to be horribly out of date, so I don't know.

Thanks for your help.

By Corman842 (Corman842) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

Bump

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:35 pm: Edit

It sounds like Skidmore is in a solid match (aka range) school for you. Although the fact that you haven't taken many honors/AP classes is a bit of a minus, Skidmore will love the upward gpa trend, and your grades are a plus. Your SAT scores are right around average for Skidmore, so it would help you to boost them up to 1300, although they are still okay. It will help that you are male, because Skidmore is about 60% female. You can call/ask the admissions office again about the SAT IIs... you might want to take the SAT II writing (if you took the PSATs, you can look at your writing score to give yourself an idea of how you'd do on the SAT II writing).

Make sure that you are clear in your application about all of your activities/work experience. Also, write a great essay! That could put you over the edge. It sounds like you are qualified, so you should seriously consider applying early, as it will help you a lot. Good luck!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

If Skidmore is the perfect fit for you, consider applying ED. In my opinon, right now Skidmore is a bit of a reach for you - a realistic reach, but still a bit of a stretch. Skidmore loves people who have really thought about why Skidmore is a good fit so make sure your application clearly reflects that. Good luck - Skidmore's an awesome school.

By Corman842 (Corman842) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Since Skidmore is a borderline match/reach school for me, do you feel it would really be wise for me to apply ED? it's just that at some schools the admissions people were saying ED was only good for those who were solidly in the range of the school because it can be a much more competitive lot that are applying. Although I do want to convey to them that they're my top choice, at the same time I don't want to be rejected right off the bat if I had the chance in regular decision. If you feel differently about that, please let me know, as I'm still a novice at this whole admissions game.

Also, while I'm at it, I might as well post the rest of my preliminary college list. I'm curious about what you all think in terms of my chances at these places.
Skimore College
Goucher College
Dickinson College
Vassar College (big reach, but no harm in applying)
Muhlenberg College
Franklin and Marshall College
Juniata College
Still deciding on safeties between McDaniels and Albright, maybe both.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Skimore College - lol! Do they ski more there? Seriously, only you can decide if you like Skidmore enough to commit to applying ED. I think you'd get a boost from ED - Skidmore fills up about 40% of its class from ED and accepts about 57% of ED applicants vs. 40% RD. Don't feel pressured to apply ED unless you're sure however.

Goucher College - a safety for you. Consider applying Early Action- it's non-binding and they fill up most of their class through Early Action.

Dickinson College - match, and if you're male, even more of a match. BE SURE TO VISIT as Dickinson has a very different feel and student body than the other schools on your list. My daughter, who is also looking at schools like Goucher and Skidmore, felt it was too conservative and preppy for her.

Vassar College (big reach, but no harm in applying) - agree - big reach. ED might help you along a little if you like it more than Skidmore.

Muhlenberg College - match

Franklin & Marshall - again, be sure to visit. Lots of frats/sororities, different feel than the other schools on your list. Probably a match/reach for you.

Juniata - safety

I like both McDaniels and Albright alot. They are both decent schools that don't get as much attention as they should. A similar school you might like is Manhattanville, just outside of NYC.

If you like the feel of Skidmore and Goucher, also take a look at Wheaton in Mass. - it has a similar feel to the other two. It would be a match for you probably.

Good luck! You have a very nice list of schools developing.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

By the way, the above is all based on your current SAT - get it solidly into the 1300's and all of the schools except Vassar become matches. Even Vassar, however, becomes a realistic reach at that point. At Goucher, Juniata or Wheaton, scoring above 1300 should get you some decent merit money as well.

By Corman842 (Corman842) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Thank you very much for your input, it's really helping to calm my nerves a bit. I do hope to get my SAT into the 1300's, that would help a lot. I know that at my current level I can get Juniata's highest merit scholarship, $12,000 per year for all four years, which would be nice. I was going to do some prep over the summer, but things have just been too hectic this summer to do it. Oh well. Perhaps I can do something afterschool at the local community college in september...

But yeah, I'm beginning to like my list a lot. I will be visiting Dickinson and Franklin and Marshall in the fall.As you can probably tell from my list, I tend to be pretty liberal, so we'll have to see about those schools. I visited Marist last week. The facilities and technology were very impressive but it just felt like a corporation more than a school, so yeah, a visit can make a big difference on whether or not you like a certain school. I should be looking at Muhlenberg on wednesday if all goes according to plan. I don't know when I'll get a chance to look at my safeties, but hopefully I'll be able to get into one of the others. That's the only problem with college admissions...you could meet every part of a profile but still get rejected for some other reason, which makes me kinda nervous. Oh well, what can you do...

*checks for embarrassing typos*

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

"t's just that at some schools the admissions people were saying ED was only good for those who were solidly in the range of the school because it can be a much more competitive lot that are applying. Although I do want to convey to them that they're my top choice, at the same time I don't want to be rejected right off the bat if I had the chance in regular decision."

That is a LIE that admissions people use all the time. People have been criticizing the whole early admissions process lately, and instead of apologizing, the admissions officers say that their early applicant pool is stronger, or that they don't favor applicants who apply early. That isn't the truth. Applying early always helps. If you look at the figures, you'll find that the students who are accepted during early are slightly less qualified than the regular kids. Many people have said that applying early is like adding 100 points to your SAT score.

By Corman842 (Corman842) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Huh, that's good to know. My only other problem with applying early decision is that if I don't get a good enough financial aid package from Skidmore, it might be kind of difficult for me to go as the price of regular tuition is close to $40,000 a year. I am aware that typically Skidmore meets 100% of need, but if I apply ED I am risking that they won't and being contractually obligated to withdraw my other applications upon acceptance. I'm just not quite sure if that's a risk I'm willing to take, or one my parents will allow me to take. I really hate money...it just makes everything so complicated...oy

Also, I still have a few more schools to visit before I make my final decisions on where and how to apply, though ED is definatly something I'll be considering for Skidmore. Also EA for Goucher, because there really is no harm in doing that.

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

If money is a big consideration, then ED might not be a great idea.

By Corman842 (Corman842) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I really wish money wasn't a problem here, life would be so much easier if it wasn't. I know that Skidmore has a good financial aid program, but I really don't want to risk it. I really do like that school though...

By Corman842 (Corman842) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I really wish money wasn't a problem here, life would be so much easier if it wasn't. I know that Skidmore has a good financial aid program, but I really don't want to risk it. I really do like that school though...

By Travelr (Travelr) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

Corman-I am a Skiddie and would be happy to answer any questions. My stats were not too far from yours (3.4 gpa, 1350 SAT, and very selective boarding school).

My first choice was Bowdoin, from which I was rejected. I chose Skidmore over Conn College and Bates-an EXCELLENT decision for me.

I would chime in and recommend that, if you really feel Skidmore is the right choice, you apply early. They really do take an interest in students who seem very driven to be at the College. Otherwise, your stats could render your chances of getting in a bit iffy....

By Corman842 (Corman842) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

Thanks! I really wish there wasn't the whole money thing keeping me back from early decision. I still should consider it though. I did see that in the supplement to the Common App for Skidmore there is a place to write why you are interested in the school, so I suppose if I can't do ED I can just make it obvious that Skidmore is my first choice in that section of the application, but I don't really think that would have the same effect.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page