Evaluate my Chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Evaluate my Chances
By Thvudragon (Thvudragon) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Hi, I'm currently a senior in Florida (School started Monday). I'm curious to what schools you guys think I could get into. I'm applying to

1) University of Florida
2) Florida State (I've been told that I'm a shoe-in for FSU)
3) Boston University
4) New York University
5) Harvard
6) Yale
7) Princeton
8) Brown

I was encouraged to apply to the Ivys by my Vice Principal. Anyways, my stats are as follows:

GPA Unweighted: 3.9 Weighted 4.5
Class Rank: 2/547 (No one knows who #1 is. He/she refuses to reveal him/herself)
SAT I: 1470 Verbal-730 Math-740
SAT II: I haven't taken any yet and I'm only planning on doing so once (taking 3). I know it's risky.
APs (ony offered to Juniors and Seniors): Eng Lang (4), Art History (5), US History (5)

Current Schedule
AP Literature
AP Calculus AB (BC not offered)
AP French Language
AP Econ Macro/Micro (Online)
Economics Honors paired with AP US Gov
TV Production III
Media Student Assistant
Independent Study, no credit (AP European History)

ECs: Florida Boys State, History Club (Treasurer), Academic Team (Official Whiner), Key Club, TSA, National Honor Society, Senior Advisory Board.

I also have 140 documented Community Service Hours, with more done at the Soccer Club.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By Deerhunter (Deerhunter) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Your academics are strong, at least a two.

Your EC's are a 4, a 3 at best (basic clubs, a little bit of leadership).

Nonetheless, I think you chance a strong chance at U of F, but, in all honesty, the ivies are a serious reach...nothing outstanding on your application. Good luck though. By the way, what's your number one choice (are you applying EA/ED anywhere?)

By Thvudragon (Thvudragon) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

My #1 choice is Boston University, but it's much more expensive than my #2, UF. Thanks for the feedback!

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

I disagree with Deerhunter. H,P and Y are reaches for anybody anyway. But your chances at Penn, Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth and Columbia are certainly decent. You are pretty much in at Florida, FSU and BU, NYU is a safety/match. Cornell, Brown. Penn, Dartmouth and Columbia are reaches, but reasonable ones.

Do you know what you want to study?

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

BU sucks, and UF, if you get national merit finalist (or even without it), will be very cheap/free and it is a much better school than BU, you would probably end up paying 30k a year more to go to a worse school if you went to BU. Chances are low at any ivy, but ED at Brown you'd have a good chance. HYP is probably a waste of your application fee unless you write a fantastic essay. NYU you're in.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page