Colleges to look into?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Colleges to look into?
By Woocollege (Woocollege) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Hey all! Please help me determine what may be some good colleges to start looking into...

I will be a junior in high school in the fall.

GPA- 4.289 (unweighted...out of 4.33)
Tied for first out of 529
10 grade classes:
Adv. English- A/A
Adv. World History- A+/A+
Biology (doesn't offer adv.)- A+/A+
Honors Chem- A+/A+
Functions/Stat/Trig- A+/A+
Pre-Calc- A+/A+
Spanish- A+/A+
Gym- A+
zoology- A+

I will be taking AP chem, AP Calc 1, and AP calc 2 next year

Senior year I will be taking AP English, AP physics, AP biology, and AP statistics...maybe AP euro history?

I am in yearbook (editor in 9th), newspaper, science olympiad, sophomore rep. of key club, president of Junior Honor Society, executive committee of Honor Society, Student Council, Math League, band in 9th grade, Youth Advisory Committe, Community Youth Connections, Hospital Volunteering since 7th grade, teach social studies on saturday mornings at an indian school, spanish club, Diversity Council...9th grade was in the junior high building...that is why i had editor of year book, and pres of NJHS in 9th...hopefully I can regain those types of positions in 12th grade!

Playing piano since 4th grade
Working this summer at Dept. of Transportation
Hopefully, can go to a college prep program next summer

I want to major in biomedical eng. and go into medicine. My ideal situation is getting into a direct medical program, though. What kind of ACT scores do I need for that? Any colleges to look into?

By Knightmare123 (Knightmare123) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

First of all: Nice Stats. Secondly, I, too, have been looking for schools with a strong biomed. program, and I found a lot of them. Northwestern is really good, but not sure if they have a direct med. program. I know they have something like a BS/MS program that all the other good schools do. Johns Hopkins is good for that as well. Duke, Case Western, they're all good. Case Western doesn't have a direct medical program, but they have this thing where they automatically accept you into med school if you have a 3.6+ GPA and a decent MCAT (Of course, with those core pre-med courses). I even believe they select a few selective students for their direct program (I think it was 15. They talked a lot about that in this info session they had, I should remember, stupid me). Even WPI and RPI have decent biomed programs. They have a similar program as CWRU, with their BS/MS program, which leads to admissions to their respective state medical schools [I believe it's Albany Med. College for RPI (link: http://www.amc.edu/academic/college/college_admissions_special_pro.htm) and WPI has it with UMass Medical School].
As for ACT scores, if you want to go into direct med program, and they are extremely competitive, get in the top 30's. I'm sure all of the people you will be competing with will have their 1550's and 35s, so try your best.
Good Luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page