University of Texas: Austin??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: University of Texas: Austin??
By Mirela (Mirela) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

Hi guys, I really need your advice. I'm from Europe and really want to study in the Mid-Atlantic States (Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland and Massachusetts). However, I can't find many schools that offer financial assistance to international students. Therefore, I' also considering the University of Texas at Austin and Southern Methodist. Could you please tell me which one is better known in the business world and does their location (Texas) harm my chances of earning a good business degree?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

The main campus of the University of Texas is located in austin. It is a great city by any standard (I am partly European too). The university itself is one of the top 10 State funded universities in the US and one of the top 30 research universities in the entire US. Its Business School, McCombs, is one of the most respected in the country. It is ranked #5 at the undergraduate level in the entire country. That is excellent.

However, the University of Texas is almost exclusively for Texas residents. Only 5% of the university population is from out-of-state and the competition for out-of-staters to get in is extremely keen since Texas is a very good university and much cheaper than its competitors.

Southern Methodist is not quite as good as Texas-Austin, but it is respected nonetheless. It is located in Dallas, which is not quite as cool and cosmopolitan as Austin, but it is still a nice city.

You really have two good schools there.

Mirela, what are your SATs like? How about your grades and class rank? And do you absolutely need to major in Business or is an Economics and Math double major also of interest to you?

By Mirela (Mirela) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

I definitely want to major in Business. However, Econimics is also an alternative. Could you tell me some good schools in Economics? By the way, where are you from?

My SATs:
SAT I: 1430 (V700, M730), retaking in October
SAT II: Writing 720, Math Ic 700, German 780
GPA: 5.98 (out of 6.00)
class rank: 2nd out of 120 people

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:10 am: Edit

I am from Lebanon. A school you should certainly apply to is MIT. You have the grades and the scores. You are pretty unique and you are female. MIT guarantees to meet all your financial needs if you are admitted and they are easier on female applicants. MIT also happens to be #2 in Business and #1 in Economics!!!

I would also look into the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton school. Of course, you also want to apply to other schools, but those two are a must. I think you have a good chance at both. Apply to one of those two Early Decision.

Finally, apply to the great private universities. They give great financial aid packages. Schools like Princeton, Columbia, Harvard and a couple of LACs, like Williams, Haverford and Amherts. Those are all good in Economics. Make sure you call the universities first and ask if they give financial aid to foreign students.

Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page