Stanford ed what are my chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Stanford ed what are my chances
By Nkgoyal87 (Nkgoyal87) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

which colleges should i choose to apply for ED based on my stats. I have a greater preference for stanford, but i dont nkow if that would be too much of a reach. BTW im a highschool student in a two year college program at UNT called TAMS. So I do college courses, and thus have a significant amount of college experience, (academically atleast).

GPA in TAMS (UNT): 3.91 (One B in Honors
Chemistry)

GPA in 9th and 10th: 4.25 - 3.86 unweighted

AP Tests: Human Geography- 5
World History - 5

SAT I: m760 v720 Plan to probably take again

SAT IIs:

Chemistry: 790
Math IIC: 800
World History: 800
Writing: 690 :\ Plan to take again

Plan to take ACT this september.

Research Experience:
Field Research in 7th Grade with a Professor for a summer

10 weeks of basic science research at UT Southwestern

Community Service
100+ hours
Member for a local youthgroup SEVA that does lots of community service. (Also made thier webpage)
Various other volunteer services
NHS
Chinmaya Mission (hindu school) I have helped volunteer there also.

Extra Curriculars

Piano 10 years (sending a tape if that helps)
Guitar 2 years (just a hobby)
Classical Indian Singing - 7 years
Choir - 4 years
ARRL General Radio License
Webpage design/Programming in C/C++: did various club pages and my highschool website
UNT Integration Bee 4th place
Tennis (But not very competitive)

Clubs
Next Move--Community Colleges and Careers Club President
French Club
Student Council--Did webpage
HOPE COmmunity Service Club
FBLA
TAMS Medical Society
UNT Pool Club (B player)
UNT Ping Pong Club president
TAMS Ambassadors

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

With a higher SAT score, which you're probably capable of, Stanford EA would be between a 30 and 60% chance, going 30% from the 1480 to 60% for a 1550+.

By Ralkas (Ralkas) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

First of all, the above post is retarded. You're chances of getting into a school will not swing 30% solely based on your SAT score moving up 70 points especially when it is already a 1480. Tksu~

By Deerhunter (Deerhunter) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Actually it would, buddy.

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

In his situation, he has nothing that stands out incredibly, just a lot of very good things, and with a 1480 he would just appear as a very good student with nothing exceptional. But, if his SAT score were to reach the higher end of the 1500s, he would fit into the admit category of "kid that does everything in his domain right", for which a 1550+ SAT is necessary. They do take math/science type of kids that have only solid EC's and so forth but near perfect scores, and a 1480 won't put him in that category, he's got the ~800 on 3 SAT II's and a 1550+ would complete the picture. With a 1480 he looks more like a boring applicant with forgettable scores. Plus, those percentages are just estimates anyway, 30% is an ok chance but don't bet your life on it, 60% is a solid chance but still no guarantee.

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Ralkas is correct. It would not go up just because of the SAT score. The post is indeed retarded. In fact, your SAT won't help you at all at this point. Once you're above a 1450~ the essays, recs and ec's come into play. Be sure to work hard on these and show the committee who you are, which is hopfully much more than a mere SAT score.

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

There are plenty of rejects with 1590s and 1600s. Some of you people are so ignorant! The SAT score itself will not put anyone into an "admit" category at Stanford. If you're really curious about Stanford admissions look up some of the stats of the Dec 2003 SCEA rejects. It may astound you.

By Nkgoyal87 (Nkgoyal87) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

so then does it all comes down to making a higher sat score (which i think i can do with a bit of work)? Just out of curiousity what do my ec's lack. I know that it definately lacks awards and distinctions for one thing.

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

For Stanford EA your EC's will not really impress the adcoms unless you have some national recognition or extremely significant contribution to your community, not spread out (yet solid) EC's like yours. There will be hundreds of kids in that pool with EC's that you wouldn't think high school kids could achieve. Being in clubs doesn't help you in the most elite admissions, being president of them does, but i don't see any leadership. A good formula for admission, though, is near perfect test scores and solid extracurriculars, though it is not as reliable as having the standout EC's. For you to fit the top scores formula you need a higher SAT score, not that theres no chance that you'd get in now, theres actually an ok chance. Admissions is not done at Stanford by, say, numerically rating your EC's, Tests, etc, but instead by how the adcoms feel about you while reading your file. Basically, if you are only "pretty good" in stats and EC's, your chances are low, but if you are fantastic in stats and solid in EC's thats a big advantage, as would be having fantastic EC's and solid stats. Peachieva wouldn't understand how precise it is, but if she wanted to she could look at the database stats site to see the different results people with solid EC's and 1580's have versus people with people with solid ec's and 1480's. It's not like stats are everything, but they're the only quantifiable part of the equation, so you have to take advantage of them if you are not blowing them away with your EC's.

By Newt (Newt) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

What is this database site of statistics?

By Nkgoyal87 (Nkgoyal87) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

i see, thanks for the info 80drofnats. Yeah im probably gonna work on that sat scores before october. yeah the main problem is i never for some reason went for recognition in the ECs i have. I mean im pretty sure i had a solid chance of making state in piano or something, but for some reason just never went for it. Hit me hard now i guess. leaderships in clubs ill have the beginning of senior year.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

hmm...i think 60% figure was a bit high, but what do i know? im only a high school student...

good luck! btw, im applying Stanford early, too...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page