MIT--maybe?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: MIT--maybe?
By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Hello I would appreciate it if you would tell me (a rising senior) your assesment of my chances at institutions such as MIT, Stanford, Cornell, etc. for Electrical Computer Engineering (or its equivalent thereof).

All of my statistics can be found here:

http://www.prstats.com/2009/display.php?user=sherwin

Thank you for your time!

By Devious (Devious) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Hmmm... When I opened your stats page, I thought I was looking at mine. We have exactly the same college list, except I don't have UCSD.

Anyway, provided you write good essays and if you do co-author the chemistry research paper, I think you have a pretty good chance.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Thanks for the support, devious. If you have aim or something, I'd like to talk to you if possible.
My screen name is darthsherwin.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

u should apply to Rensselaer Polytech

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

You do have a good chance at the schools on your list, but you don't have a real safety. RPI would be a good safety if you don't mind being in Troy, NY: not the loveliest of cities.

By At8 (At8) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

Arthurd--Irvine is a safety for him since he's in-state. Plus, he's currently doing research there, so that will probably give him a major edge if he can get a recommendation from the professor working with him. However, RPI is a good addition to the list.

Sherwin, your chances at MIT are great. You're guaranteed at least a first glance by the adcom because of your high test scores, perhaps a second glance because of your ECs, and possibly a third glance and/or acceptance if you write great essays/have great recs. Best of luck to you.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

damn! you have some impressive stats....without factoring in luck or essays, you have a better chance than probably anyone applying (other than minorities, legacies, atheletes, math and science olympiad winners, etc)

By Tongos (Tongos) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

You have exactly what MIT is looking for, everything is great, and it seems like you have a passion for going into the engineering field. you have an original math discovery? i find that very impressive. What does it concern?

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

You're in

By Devious (Devious) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

sherwin, I don't have aim. Do you have msn?

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:26 am: Edit

Yes Devious, I do have msn (but I'm on less frequently): mastersherwin@hotmail.com.

Oh and the original math discovery isn't really significant or anything, it regards divisibility rule generation for integer numbers (if anyone is interested they can IM me or something).

To those of you who think I need a safety, I agree with At8 and believe that Irvine should suffice as a safety as I am in state, have already taken two classes there, and I'm researching there (and their requirements generally aren't as high as SD, LA, and Berkeley). Besides, if I do end up going to Irvine I can save a lot of money on housing and I am fond fo the school in general (although it doesn't seem that I'll be as happy as possible there), and personal familiarity with the area is a plus that doesn't come with a school in Troy, NY.

By the way, I'll be visiting MIT this coming week and I was wondering if there's anything I can do there that would help my cause (such as meeting some people in admissions, and becoming more of a perosn than an applicant existing only on paper--maybe a regional reader, if MIT has those...)

Most importantly, thanks for the postive feedback and support everyone, and keep the advice coming!

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:29 am: Edit

Oh I have a concern that I forgot to mention. I have very few ECs from 9th and 10th grade (pretty much just MUN, which is one of the activities I spent a lot of time with, and Math club, which was nothing big and was only during 9th grade). Will this hurt me significantly in any way, or will my Junior/Senior Activities and Research involvment (most of which I care about a lot), make up for my early shortcomings in some ways?

By Mhawk177 (Mhawk177) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:36 am: Edit

You have as solid of a chance as anyone as long as you write a good essay and get good recommendations.. those are some solid scores.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Thanks, Mhawk177, I'm kind of woried about doing well (getting a 750+) on Physics though, because my high school Physics class really didn't cover much, but I'm generally good at memorizing formulas and I'm pretty sure I can review and learn all the concepts in a week or two.

One other question. I do not have a fine art yet, and I'm afraid it will not fit into my schedule, so I will have to resort to taking one in my second semester at a community college (so I qualify for entry into a UC). Is there anyway I can not take a fine art and take it the summer prior to attending a school and still be elligible for applying to UC schools (if I explain this in a letter), because I really think I will be busy this year, and if senioritis kicks in, I'm not sure if I can handle all this in addition to an art class.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Any other advice or opinions out there?

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

you have a good shot at many of your top school choices. make sure to talk about your research experence in your essays, if you can.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Nice stuff goin on sherwin.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Thanks for the feedback Socalnick and Adidasty.

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

Good stuff, I think you're qualified as anyone for all your schools, althought unfortunately, qualified can mean zilch these days....

congrats : )

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Yz16, I understand perfectly what you mean when you say "qualified can mean zilch these days," because it's not about who we ware as a person, but how we can present ourselves on an application, and furthermore, there are so many qualified people, that everything is a crapshoot.

At any rate thanks for all the advice, assessments, and comments thus far--keep them coming!

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

You definitely have a better chance than me at MIT. Actually you have a better chance than 90% of the applicants. Anyways, if by the miracle of the century i get in, and assuming you get in (a real possiblity), maybe we can meet. I'm persian too!! Omidvaram ke shoma ro dar MIT bebinam.

Some other weird coincidences: i don't have an art credit either and i'm gonna take it at a comm. college! Oh and I'm on the the AcDec team. BTW this year's super quiz topic is extremely technical (astronomy). Last year's (the lewis and clark expedition) was much easier.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Halah, manam hameen omid ra daram!

Yeah I got all the info and astronomy is very technical, and it seems like there's differential calculus on there too! The calc stuff may be hard for some of our juniors who think math isn't their strong point.

Thanks for the reassuring statements, Paulhomework.

By Tongos (Tongos) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

how about space vectors, multidimensional physics, tensored calculus, wierd curves, non- euclidian geometry, and math analysis? Is that in astronomy too, because im very interested in these things.

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

cool, languages : ).

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 03:20 am: Edit

Tongos, I'm sure all of those you mentioned may be used in the study of astronomy whether in the theoretical sense or the applied sense, yet Academic Decathalon is for high school students and I'm sure you know very well that many of those topics are not studied by high school students (although some of the topics you mentioned do related to multivariable calculus).

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 10:25 am: Edit

Sherwin,
as long as you are in Boston anyway, you might like to look at Harvard as well - the atmosphere is *totally* different, but you could take many of the math/science courses at MIT. I wish you the very best of luck with your applications, and will be surprised if MIT does not accept you. You have the rank in class to back up your SAT's and other stuff, and that is one of the major factors that should help you through their grid.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Ohio Mom, I'm definetely visiting Harvard as well (as I am applying anyway, and one of the main reasons I'm applying is because of the cross-registration you just mentioned). I understand that the atmosphere is incredibly different, and I want to try to get a taste of both atmospheres when I visit. I also wanted to visit Cornell and maybe Princeton, however, the connecting flights would become a time consuming hassle (and the most ideal flights are unneccessarily expensive). Thanks for the encouragement.

Everyone who has replied thank you for your positive input thus far, and I'd be happy if anyone else can give further input, advice, assessments, or criticism.

By Devious (Devious) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Sherwin, I added you to my MSN list. Sorry it took a while, but my PSU blew up.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 03:40 am: Edit

No problem, thank you, Devious.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

I updated my stats, and I won't be taking bio AP next year (schedule conflict) would this hurt me for gaining admissions (one less AP science, even though I have no intention of going into anything medical)?

By Bigdreamscj (Bigdreamscj) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Hey Sherwin and Paulhomework:

I'm from your area and will be competing against you guys via Acad. Decathlon...I love astronomy & the ancient history we've got this time :) Good luck!

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Thanks Bigdreamscj, best of luck to you too! Buy the way, what school are you from out of curiousity (and is it an OC high school)?

Anyway, if anyone else has any useful advice for me, or can comment on how NOT taking Biology AP will affect me, I would most certainly appreciate it.

By Grumptious (Grumptious) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:33 am: Edit

orange county academic decathlon here too! this year will be a tough competition. i'm from westminster hs. it seems any school can win this year.
i doubt not taking ap bio will hurt you. you have enough ap classes and your awesome stats will more than make up for it.

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

dude you already have ap chem and ap physics which is more than enough. not taking ap bio won't hurt at all.

btw i live in texas so the only way we could meet is nationals! where is it this year?

By Grumptious (Grumptious) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

i believe nationals are in chicago.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

Thanks for the encouragement for the Bio problem, and to all you Decathalon people out there--good luck!

Any additional advice is welcome.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page