Anyone have good essays?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Anyone have good essays?
By Lilsari (Lilsari) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Argh I cant think of anything to write about! I wrote about field hockey but it doesnt mean that much to me, so i'm starting over. What did you guys write about that helped you get into college? Anyone have any good essays they would like to share?

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

I wrote about my determinism by showing how my family attempted to come to the US. Here's the first paragraph, you'll get the idea.

Imagine, in the dead of night, a small indistinct fishing boat starts its journey towards the possibility, not certainty, of freedom. It is crammed with 64 people, literally on top of each other. The faces are ragged, and the clothes are torn. The smell is foul, and as the boat sways, the sound of someone moaning can be heard. Soon after, the stench of vomit starts a chain reaction. After 23 days of that monotonous routine, a voice, exclaims, “Thuyen den roi!” which means that the boat has arrived. Everyone expels a sigh of relief. Freedom is no longer a dream but a reality. Is this scenario a figment of my imagination or did it really happen? On that boat, was a family of three: a mother, a father, and a baby girl. That family was mine. On August 15, 1988, we had emigrated from communist Vietnam to Hong Kong. This was my parent’s second attempt, and although the first ended in failure, they didn’t give up. They believed that they could succeed, and they did.

By Lilsari (Lilsari) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Ooh, that sounds like a great essay.

By Jcm525 (Jcm525) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

August 15th, 1988. How old were you? If you were really young, I don't how much that would show, but it's still a cool story.

By Jcm525 (Jcm525) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Well, "a baby girl." I'm just curious what colleges would think about you basing an essay on an experience as a baby, even one as significant as that. Wouldn't it show more about the determination of your parents than yourself? And by the way, I do not attempt to trivialize what you and your family went through in the least.

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

that was only the first paragraph. There were 2 other paragraphs.

I ended it with the quote: Life doesn't always go to the stronger or faster (wo)man, but in the end, the one who wins is the one who thinks (s)he can.

It was one of the only thing I got an A on in AP Lit besides poetry. my teacher was a hard grader and said it was one of the best essays she's ever read. Besides that, it got me into Cornell. So, I am happy.

By Jcm525 (Jcm525) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Congrats, and I like the quote at the end.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

wow August 15th 1988 was when I was born!

sorry, haha getting a little excited about my birthday, seeing it everywhere..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page