Masters Program in Economics

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Masters Program in Economics
By Otter05 (Otter05) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Anyone know of a good Masters program in economics?

I am talking about a masters program and not a combine masters PHd. jut the Masters.

Thanks

otter

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Aren't you kind of young to be thinking of Masters? Anyway, I think the schools below offer a MA or MS in Economics. There are arranged in order of excellence.

Chicago
UC-Berkeley
Michigan-Ann Arbor
UCLA
Brown
NYU
Duke
Johns Hopkins
UNC-Chapel Hill
Boston University
Maryland-College Park
Colorado-Boulder

I am pretty sure that Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, columbia and Cornell are PhD only.

But do your research, this is merely from recollection.

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

I believe Chicago, U.C. Berkeley, are Ph.D. only as well. Michicago Ann-Arbor offers a Masters of Arts in Applied Economics. Columbia offers a Masters of Arts in Quantitative Reasoning (or something to that extent.) There is no mention of a terminal M.A. degree at UCLA and Brown University, Johns Hopkins, and the University of Maryland mention that there is no separate application to the department outside of a Ph.D. program.

Duke, NYU, UNC-Chapel Hill, Boston University, and I'm sure a lot of other departments offer terminal M.A.'s in Ecomonics.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

I believe NYU is the highest ranked Econ program to offer a terminal MA program. Other schools allow PhD students to leave after getting the MA.

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Tulane has an accelerated 5 year BS/MA in economics program. Definitely check that out.

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Combined programs are a different from terminal M.A. programs. I'm not sure the schools that offer those but several schools offer combined B.S. (or B.A.)/M.A. programs in economics as well as a variety of other subjects.

JW

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Northwestern also has a 4-year BA/MA program. They don't offer a separate MA program.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Im Blue.....is that for economics? If so that is very good.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

Yes, that's for Economics. Here is the link:

http://www.econ.northwestern.edu/undergraduate/fouryear.html

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page