Sudden increase in GPA.. will it seem shady?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Sudden increase in GPA.. will it seem shady?
By Whiskerss (Whiskerss) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:00 am: Edit

hey everyone.

i have a hypothetical question.

let's say that a student did fairly well in 9th and 10th grade.. let's say at least top 20 (out of around 550), but she comes from an OKAY high school.. not very competitive, a lot of people who don't care, etc.

in 11th grade, she really wants to boost up her score so her GPA shoots up 4 points, thus bringing her up to at LEAST top 15, 50% chance of being top 10.

with that situtation at hand, would it be impossible to apply to an ivy league? (preferably yale) all other factors such as SATs, ECs, recs, essay are relatively strong.

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit

No...upward trend is great, assuming that this person didn't take all fluff classes to up the rank and gpa.

By Whiskerss (Whiskerss) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

=) thanks Elizabeth22, that helped a lot.

any more people wanna chip in their two cents?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:42 am: Edit

If the classes you took are challenging, it is great. Universities love to see improvement. But if you took a bunch of really easy classes, it probably won't mean as much.

By Knightmare123 (Knightmare123) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Now, if I may steal this discussion for a couple of postings, what if the exact opposite happened. What if the GPA went down 0.3 pts, taking into consideration that there were all but P.E. and English as honors/AP classes. Does that look "shady" with them, since they, the admissions people, expected the student to keep up with the higher grades? Just curious..

By Knightmare123 (Knightmare123) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Now, if I may steal this discussion for a couple of postings, what if the exact opposite happened. What if the GPA went down 0.3 pts, taking into consideration that there were all but P.E. and English as honors/AP classes. Does that look "shady" with them, since they, the admissions people, expected the student to keep up with the higher grades? Just curious..

By Whiskerss (Whiskerss) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

i really don't think it's shady lol, especially since you're taking harder classes.

if all your other stats are good, then i personally would think you're all set. =)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page