Which state schools can I get into?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Which state schools can I get into?
By Dusk2k2 (Dusk2k2) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Getting a little nervous about college and am starting to wonder where I can get into. Namely, I'm looking to get into a state college. I live in Washington DC, which gets in-state tuition to every state college. With just my basic stats, does it look like my list of colleges seems realistic?

GPA: 3.4 Unweighted
SAT I: 1340, V:700, M:640
Ethnicity: Asian-American Male

Tooks three AP's in my junior year(AP Bio, AP US History, AP English, which I got a B,B,and A respectively).

Taking AP Eng, AP Calc AB, AP US Gov, AP Comp Gov, and AP Environmental Science in Senior year.

Math is my weak area, as I got a B in Geometry in 9th grade, C in Honors Algebra II, and C in Honors Pre Calc.

Rest of grades are A's and B's.

Not sure what else I need to add. I do Crosscountry and am in Latin Club. Got awards for National Latin Exam two years in a row.

130 hours of community service for the Student Conservation Association(SCA) last summer. This summer, been working at a law firm. I don't know if that helps, but thought I might add that.

Basically, I'm interested in attending a large state school, and this is basically my list. Please advise if my list is unrealistic, and if I should add or remove colleges from my list.

Super Reaches: UCLA, UNC-Chapel Hill, UVA
Reaches: Univ of Michigan, Univ of Wisconsin-Madison
Matches: Penn State-University Park, UMD-College Park

No clue which schools I could put on my list that would be safety schools. I have no clue where the other UC schools, such as UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, UC-Santa Barbara, etc, go on my list, nor where University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign would go either. Which private colleges should I add to my list? Tulane, NYU? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and please tell me if my list is unrealistic, as I'm beginning to get scared as to if I would even get into those schools, since I live in Washington DC. I'm thinking of majoring in Law perhaps, and becoming a lawyer if that information is needed. Thanks again for any help.

By Dusk2k2 (Dusk2k2) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

bump

By Barrons (Barrons) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

You don't major in law as an undergrad. List looks good although Umd may be a little tougher now.

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:19 am: Edit

DC really gets in state everywhere? That is *so* cool.

I agree with your list. APPLY EARLY.

Literally, get off the web, call the admissions at these schools, and start to apply.

Now.

By Sweetbee03 (Sweetbee03) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

UT-Austin is a great school, and it has a pre-law major and an excellent law school. Don't know if you want to go to texas though.
When you say you get in-state tuition to every state college, does it also mean that the state schools will consider you as an in-state applicant? That makes a big difference.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

The in-state tuition act provides that residents of Washington D.C. (other than foreign nationals) will be provided funding by the U.S. Government to cover the amount of tuition for any public university in the US that is over and above in-state tuition so the student's out-of-pocket tuition cost is the in-state cost. The act does not provide that the student shall be treated as in-state for the purpose of determining admission; how a state college deals with that issue is up to it and the particular state. (The act also provides a $2500 stipend toward tuition if the student goes to a private college.)

Your list appears accurate as to whether a school is a reach or a match except that I would likely make Wisconsin a match; UIUC would likely be a match if you are seeking to get into its Arts & Sciences college but would be a reach for engineering or business. You should consider all UC's as reaches because California will treat you as an out-of-state resident for the purpose of determining admission and it is far more difficult for non-residents to get admitted as opposed to residents. Texas-Austin would also be a reach. Nevertheless, in your case the vast majority of other state colleges would likely be matches or safeties so don't limit yourself to just the ones you list.

By Dusk2k2 (Dusk2k2) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

I WISH DC got treated as in-state everywhere, but sadly, I don't believe that to be the case. Given the information I just receieved, I guess my list could be like this....

Super Reaches: UCLA, UNC-Chapel Hill, UVA

Reaches: Univ of Michigan, All other U.C. schools

Match-Reach: Univ of Wisconsin Madison, Univ of Illinois-Urban Champaign

Match: Penn State-University Park, UMD-College Park(Maybe)

Safety: ???

Would not want to go anywhere south in all honesty, so all Texas schools would probably not be included on my list. Only southern school I might consider would be Tulane, which is a private college anyway, but I'm not sure where it would be on my list. Other private colleges I would be interested in are Boston College, Boston University, and NYU, but again, I'm not sure whether any of those schools are matches or reaches for me.

Which schools could I possibly use as safeties, if I'm interested in attending large, preferably non-southern, state colleges.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

This is true. DC does not have an instate agreement with California because.. California doesn't have an instate agreement with anybody.

By Sweetbee03 (Sweetbee03) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

You should also check out Rutgers-New Brunswick, and the SUNY schools. You'll probably find some safeties in these schools.
And...
NYU--reach
BC--reach/match
BU--match

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

Check out University of Minnesota's site. Based on your grades and scores, you're probably an automatic admit.

Also look at Michigan State.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

Why not stay at Washington D.C. and go to GWU? Looks like the two of us are planning to switch, you go to California, I'll go to Washington D.C. ;-)..

In all honestly though, SB and SC are pretty easy to get into, even OOS.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit

Some of the state colleges, that are not "south," where you have a likelihood of being admitted include Rutgers, Pitt, U Mass, Ill. St., Indiana, Purdue, Ohio St, Ohio U, Mich St, Missouri, Iowa, Iowa St, Nebraska, Minn, Colo, Ariz, Ariz St., New Mexico. There are undoubtedly numersous others.

By Dontgouc (Dontgouc) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:07 am: Edit

Here are some excellent state schools (actually among the elite public schools in the US) that I would definetly consider applying to:

Reach: UC Berkelely, Virginia, Michigan, UCLA, North Carolina, William & Mary, UC San Diego

Match: Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgia Tech, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara

Safety: Washington, Penn State, Florida, Maryland, Texas

By Dusk2k2 (Dusk2k2) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Dontgouc, are you talking about me or about yourself?

Anyway, based on the info I've gotten, I've come up with this list:

Super Reach: UCLA, UNC Chapel Hill, UVA

Reach: University of Michigan, All UC schools, NYU

Match-Reach: University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Illionois at Urbana Champaign, Boston College, Tulane

Match: Penn State-University Park, UMD-College Park, Boston University

Safety: University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, Ohio State, University of Washington, UConn(Not sure about this one)

Any other decently ranked colleges that I should consider? Does my list seem right? Too optimistic or pessimistic? My biggest fear would be to apply to all these colleges, while overrating myself, and not getting into any one, so I'd like to be sure that my list is realistic and that I have a good chance at my match schools, and at least some chance in my reaches. Super reaches I don't care about too much. My information is in the first post just in case anyone needs to know.

By Dusk2k2 (Dusk2k2) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Has anyone else noticed if Princeton Review counselor o matic is broken or giving wrong results? It used to say Penn State and BU and such were safties, but now when I go to it, it claims all my schools are reaches(even UC-Riverside.) Been messing around with it, and even when I change my stats to 1600 and 4.0, it still claims all my schools are reaches. Just a mess up on the website I hope. Has anyone else noticed this?

By Itsrainingpants (Itsrainingpants) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

I'd say Rutgers might be a good match/safety for you. Look at UMass- Amherst, University of Rhode Island, UConn.

By Dusk2k2 (Dusk2k2) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Super Reach: UCLA, UNC Chapel Hill, UVA

Reach: University of Michigan, All UC schools, NYU

Match-Reach: University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Illionois at Urbana Champaign, Boston College, Tulane

Match: Penn State-University Park, UMD-College Park, Boston University

Safety: University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, Ohio State, University of Washington, UConn

So would everyone agree that my list seems nice and realistic?

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

i re-did my counselor-o-matic and it turned out okay still. it didnt provide me with any reach schools, but the matches that it gave me were berkeley, ucla, and usc, all 3 which i got accepted to (i go to ucla). and for safeties it gave me cal poly and pacific, both which i got accepted to as well. so its still working...

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

problem... "ALL UC SCHOOLS" should not be listed under reach.

ucla and uc berkeley are excellent feeders for law, but they'd be reaches/super reach.

uc san diego, uc davis, uc irvine, uc santa barbara seem like matches; uc san diego and uc davis are good law feeders too, so it mite be a reach/match.

uc riverside, uc santa cruz are safeties

just as caution, just because you pay state tuition doesnt mean youll be treated the same during admissions, bcuz you dont actually LIVE in the state. the UC's are harsh when it comes to admitting out-of-staters.

hey, since the UC's require only 1 app for all the undergrad campuses, u mite as well apply for all (if u have the money)

btw there is no law major, but the UCs that i named as good law feeders (UC berkeley, ucla, ucsd, uc davis) all have good undergrad majors that help their students into law school. most students take political science as their major... if this is your plan, UCB, UCLA, UCSD are huge on polysci, ranked nationally, but again, they may be somewhat of a reach (GPA low)

last thing, dont worry bout the math too much, i had 3 C's throughout h/s from math and still got into berkeley, ucla, usc, etc.

By Dusk2k2 (Dusk2k2) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

I realize the GPA is low. That's my main concern. I know my chances at the UC's aren't very high, which is why they are all in the reaches, but mainly, I'm just hoping my scores are good enough to give me a chance at places like Wisconsin-Madison and Penn State-University Park.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page