My final list

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: My final list
By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Hi I posted this info recently, but I'm putting it here again because I'm done with my final list of six schools. Here are my stats and the schools that im considering. They are my only chance of getting financial aid.

1. Harvard (EA)
2. Yale
3. Williams
4. Oberlin
5. Wellesley
6. Middlebury

I'm applying as an international student from Bulgaria (I live in NY and attend school there)

GPA: 3.8
SAT I: Verbal: 660 Math: 780
SAT II: Writing: 710 Math IIC: 660 (yes, I know this one has to be changed. I'm retaking it) and I'm taking the SAT II Lit
English Lang. and Comp. AP Exam: 5

Next year I'm taking AP Physics, AP Lit, and AP Calc. I'm also taking latin, art history, government and economics and the courses I am required to take as a music major.

ECs: I'm editor-in-chief of the school newspaper, member of the screening club, and this fall i'm starting an italian club along with another person.I've been in other clubs, but that stuff isn't anything remarkable. My school offers a pre-conservatory program and we have to take about three music classes each term along with our regular course load. These are often followed by a lot of after school rehearsals which prevent us from partisipating in as many after school activities.

Work: last summer I worked as an intern at Yeshiva University Museum. This year I am trying to get an internship in journalism.

Essay topic considered: traveling as a child (my father was a diplomat so we lived in several countries including Sweden) and how that has effected me.

I expect good recommendations.

So here is the big question: what are my chances?

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

HY- Major Reach
Williams- Reach
Oberlin-Matchy safety
Wellesley- match
Middlebury- match

You need more schools...and I would apply ED somewhere.

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

My school only lets us apply to 6 private schools. I'm also applying to CUNY (as a safety). I can't apply ED to any school if I apply EA to Harvard (which i plan to do). Though it's not binding, EA does prevent you from applying early anywhere else, I'm pretty sure.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

My honest two cents- I kinda disagree with your strategy. Harvard EA isn't really a boost compared with ED at other schools. Honestly, I wouldn't do it with your stats. I feel a deferral in the mail, not to be pessimistic. This changes if you are an amazing musician and you intend to do this at Harvard and make it a core part of your application. In that case I give you great odds.

If I were you and had the 6 school limit, and had your stats I would do my homework and apply ED to a school right below in selectivity, but with ED such as Williams, Brown, Dartmouth, Penn, or Amherst. I really don't understand some of the correlation between your schools, they range from Urban type schools to total small (2000 people or less) LACs in the middle of nowhere. I think that Dartmouth, Brown, Duke, Penn or even Cornell are more between these two extremes, and are good reach-ED for you. Cornell probably even more of a match ED. If you want to stay Northeast, loose Duke, but the others are great, you can leverage the ED advantage, and are balances between those extremes while offering significant "prestige" or whatever.

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

I appreciate your help. I don't think you're being a pessimist, but a realist and that's exactly what I need. My problem is that colleges like brown, dartmouth, penn are not need blind when it comes to international students. My main concern is money, hense the somewhat random list of colleges. ED at Williams, however, is something to think about.

(as for the musician thing, I am a vocalist...we're not really considered great musicians by many. though i'm dedicated and in the top chorus at my school, journalism is something i would much rather make the core of my application)

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

i think i'm applying ED williams instead of EA harvard, because of better chances. plus i like the school

By Arcadia (Arcadia) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

What is it with Bulgarians and Middlebury? Did you know that Bulgaria is the third most represented country among international students at Middlebury (behind only Canada and China)? I guess part of it might be the need blind admissions, part word of mouth. Anyway, I think you have an excellent chance at Williams ED--and if you are deferred or rejected from Williams, you can always apply ED II to Middlebury. Good luck!

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Good strategy!!

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

that's funny i didn't know we were third. i don't know, i guess it is the need blind policy, because that's one of the reasons i'm applying. anyway, EA at Harvard didn't seem very helpful when it comes to getting in and ...well...it's harvard. williams will give me the same good education, a much smaller campus, and a better chance at admission so i thought "why not"? i realize it's still quite competitive, but we'll see. should i send them a portfolio of my art, vocal repertoire, etc...or is there such a thing as too much extra material?

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Sounds great! I think you made a better choice. My last comment would be to check out to Dartmouth, because I know they are great with aid, and see how they feel about how much need blind effects early admissions. Not being need Blind means it might be harder to get in, but once you do, all ivies will give you great aid...my Dartmouth over Williams thing is based on the benefit of going to a slightly bigger school...

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

dartmouth isn't need blind.i like them better than some of the other ivies, but considering that i'm not an amazing candidate, williams seems like a better bet. and im kinda fond of the climate. i went there last week and it reminded me of sweden (where i lived for 4 years). one question: since im applying to williams ED, what about harvard? take a shot RD or pick a college like dartmouth instead even though they aren't need blind like harvard?

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Honestly for you I would say either dump Harvard or Yale and pick a place like Dartmouth, Penn, or Brown where you might havbe a slightly better shot

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

even though all of them would see i'm an international student who reeeeally needs aid (and they're not need blind)? hmm...maybe

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page