Northwestern/U of I engineering?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Northwestern/U of I engineering?
By Anyhelpicanget (Anyhelpicanget) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Hello. I was just wondering if you guys could tell me if I had any chance of getting into Northwestern or the U of I engineering program. I'm pretty much undecided right now; however, i am interested in the medical profession as well as engineeering. For Northwestern, I think I can pretty much major in any math/science and if I don't like it i'll just switch over. Also if you can give me any advice as to what I should do to get a better chance of getting in would be great! thanks!

GPA: 5.0 (6.0 is the highest you can get if you're taking all honors and 5.0 is the highest if you're not...i have been taking all honors...also my grandfather who was very close to me died and due to that i did pretty bad 2nd semester of junior year(3 c's)...will colleges be able to see my 1st quarter and maybe even my 1st semester grades of senior year?...i know that i can boost them up if given the chance)

ACT: 30
E: 30
R: 31
M: 33
S: 25
(im doing practice and will now be hopefully getting 32-33)

SAT: 1330
M: 730
V: 600
(im doing practice on this as well with 10 REAL SATs and am getting around 1450-M:780 V:670)

SAT II:
Math IIC: 780
Writing: 710
Chemistry: 610 (i know its horrible)
(should i retake these...i wont retake chemistry ill do even worse...if i do retake math & writing and maybe something else will colleges get their scores because i will have to take them on November 6...im takin satI on october 9)

AP:
Euro History: 3
U.s. History: 4
Chemistry: 2
English Language: 3
(i know i did horrible...im not even looking for credit i just dont want colleges to see those scores as horrible and not even admit me because of them...ya i stink at chemistry)

Extra-Curricular:
--Math Team- going to be 4 years
--Scholastic Bowl - 3 years...i dont think ill go back
--Latin Club - 2 years
--FBLA/BPA - goin to be 4 years(w/ many area and state awards)
--Model U.N.(Going to be 2 years...and maybe even captain coming year)
--Odyssey of the Mind(Going to be 3 years-w/ a couple state awards)
--Hospital Volunteering(1 summer for about 50 hours...and will start again very soon)
--Advil Western Open(pro-golf tournament) volunteering-1 summer for about 3 days
--Community Carnival Volunteering - 4 summers in a row for about 4 days in the summer

THANK YOU!...ALSO PLEASE TELL ME ANYTHING I CAN DO TO GET A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING IN! THANKS!

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Hmmm....lets see if i can offer any help. I got in to u of I engineering with pretty much the same test scores as yours.I am guessing you are an upcoming senior right? And you plan to take the SATs, ACTs and SAT iis again? why not just focus on one? U of I doensnt care about SAT iis, neither doen NU. Also are you instate for U of I? If so you have a decent chance of getting in if you can get your SATs or ACT up( 1400- 32 is good for U of I). As for your GPA, how does it compare with other students in your school. Are u in the top 10% of your school( i had a 3.8 unwtd and was in the top 9%)

By Anyhelpicanget (Anyhelpicanget) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

hey thanks. Yes, I am an upcoming senior. I do live in illinois. Actually, my gpa is very low. I'm in the top 18%. I go to Hinsdale Central, it's a very competetive school and I'm very sure that the colleges know this(even ivy leagues). So maybe i wont retake satIIs and just focus on either the sat or the act? How about my ap's...again i'm not looking for credit..i just don't wanna be downgraded because of them? Also, ive heard that once you pick a major at u of i...you can't switch. So if i go into like LAS...I can't switch to engineering my sophmore year. Is that true? I've also heard though that some majors under the u of i engineering are easier to get into than others...such as the metal sciences or something like that. And as long as you get into the engineering program you can switch to the other harder engineering topics if you want...such as biomedical engineering. Is this all true? Thanks for your help!

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

The middle 50% range for UIUC Engineering is roughly 90th to 98th percentile class rank and the average ACT is around 30. UIUC does adjust for competitive Illinois high schools such as Hinsdale Central, so your class rank might not be that bad. Once you pick a major, you can switch to Engineering if you take the right classes and have a high enough GPA. The rules can be found here: http://www.engr.uiuc.edu/Advising/transferguidelines.html. Some engineering majors are definitely easier than others. For example, Computer and Mechanical require a 3.1, while Materials only requires a 2.7. However, you have to switch to the major you want, i.e. "And as long as you get into the engineering program you can switch to the other harder engineering topics if you want...such as biomedical engineering" is not true.

By Anyhelpicanget (Anyhelpicanget) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Hey great thanks! does anyone have any more info as for my stats regarding Northwestern?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

SAT II's, though not relied on at UIUC, are "recommended" at Northwestern and thus you are better off submitting them. Your ACT/SAT scores are on the lower end for Northwestern; your GPA/class rank is quite weak. Your SAT II's are fine except Chemistry is low and there is no reason to retake others. If you apply regular decision to Northwestern, you will be required to submit your first semester senior grades before a decision is made and thus improvement over last semester will definitely help. Explaining reason for poor semester in essay may also provide some help. Nevertheless, you should consider Northwestern a reach.

Likewise for UIUC engineering. UIUC will not be relying on your senior grades at all for admission so whatever you have now is all that counts. You should use essay to explain any fall down last semester. You should know that the two most important factors are class rank and test score (ACT or SAT I) and the higher your test score is the less your class rank has to be (and vice versa); thus, raising the ACT or SAT score would help. Nevertheless, be aware that being in the top "18%" class rank is about as low as UIUC engineering goes for any admittees including underrepresented minorities. See: http://www.engr.uiuc.edu/Publications/illinois/admissionasfreshman.php where it notes that the minimum high school percentile ranking for any admittee in 2003 was estimated to be "82" (meaning top 18%) and those admittees had a 34 or higher ACT. Also, if you are going to repeat one of those tests do it as soon as possible. UIUC designates a "priority" date, November 15 -- those who submit a completed application including test scores by that date have an advantage over those who submit afterwards.

By Anyhelpicanget (Anyhelpicanget) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

ok great thanks for the advice. is there anything else i can do? i mean i'm already working hard on test scores and i know i will work hard when senior year comes. im thinking i should do some sort of internship or something. ive been looking and searching for anything in the chicagoland area and can't find anything. does anyone have any advice as to where to search or who to call? thanks again for all your help.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Another point for UIUC Engineering is that ECE and CS are more selective than Engineering overall.

By Anyhelpicanget (Anyhelpicanget) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

hi. i was told by some that my chance at u of i las undecided was 50%. i was wondering if you guys could look at my stats and see if that is true...i was hoping it would be a safety

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page