Bulgarian student in NY

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Bulgarian student in NY
By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Hi guys. I will be a senior at LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts next fall. I'm Bulgarian, but I have lived in New York for five years now. I'm looking at schools that offer financial aid to international students (not too many of those) and therefore my college list seems a bit...ambitious. Unfortunately, the schools that do offer aid and are have need blind admission are very selective.

Here are my stats followed by the schools that im considering. The college office at my school lets us apply to only six schools (plus CUNYs).

GPA: 3.8
SAT I: Verbal: 660 Math: 780
SAT II: Writing: 710 Math IIC: 660 (yes, I know this one has to be changed. I'm retaking it)

English Lang. and Comp. AP Exam: 5

Next year I'm taking AP Physics, AP Lit, and AP Calc. I'm also taking latin, art history, and the courses I am required to take as a music major.

ECs: I'm editor-in-chief of the school newspaper, member of the screening club, and this fall i'm starting an italian club along with another person. My school offers a pre-conservatory program and we have to take about three music classes each term along with our regular course load. These are often followed by a lot of after school rehearsals which prevent us from partisipating in as many after school activities.

Work: last summer I worked as an intern at Yeshiva University Museum. This year I am trying to get an internship in journalism.

I still have tests to take and recommendations to get, but I expect good things. As for essays, I plan to write about traveling as a child (my father was a diplomat so we lived in several countries including Sweden) and how that has effected me.

I know this is very long and not that impressive, but i would really appreciate some help. I'm thinking about applying to Harvard (EA), Yale, Princeton, Williams College, Oberlin, Middlebury, Wellesley, or Bard. Do you guys think I'm crazy, or do I have a chance?

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

I'm also thinking about Grinnell. Please respond.

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

My rationalization for applying to all those ivy schools is that if i do get in, i know i will get aid. if i don;t, i will go to the CUNY honors college which is a good option as a last resort

By Mirela (Mirela) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

Hi, I'm also Bulgarian! Think about some more:
Macalester (tazi godina edno bulgarsko momche specheli pulna stipendiq tam)
Swarthmore
Pomona
Washington & Lee (edno bulgarka sus 1290 SAT I, koqto vze pulna stipendiq tam)
Good luck!

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:53 am: Edit

Harvard, Princeton and Yale are always impossible to predict. But for all the other schools, you stand a decent chance. You are certainly a competitive candidate. It boils down to good essay writing and a little bit of luck. Your 5 on your AP English is going to impress many admissions committees. Well done indeed!

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Thanks guys. Yea I think that the 5 in English will help me since it's not my first language. Any other suggestions? Does anyone have or know of anyone that got a full scholarship at grinnell (international)? What about Trinity? They give international students aid, but they're not need blind. I don't know if applying there will be worth it.

By Vesselina (Vesselina) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:37 am: Edit

I'm also a Bulgarian student, and I will be applying to Grinnell. Actually, I know of many Bulgarians who received full scholarships in some of the top schools in the u.s.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page