Chances and Safety School Suggestions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances and Safety School Suggestions
By Va10s (Va10s) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Rank...1/448
GPA...3.989 UW 4.6 W
SAT...1360 (retaking in Oct)
SAT II's...taking in Nov
ACT...taking in Oct
rigorous course load of 13 AP's (6 senior year)

Activities...
-#1 on tennis team all 4 years, gone to states all 4 years, captain senior year
-Book Award Sophomore and Junior Years
-Local newspaper award past three years for academics
-French Honors Society
-National Honor Society
-a leadership diversity program during sophomore/junior year
-Operation Smile...secretary all four years
-Highest chorus all 4 years
-School Musicals past two years
-and that's all the important I think

Anyway, I would appreciate anyone's take on my chances at Northwestern, Wash U, and Vandy.

Also I need to find some safeties...preferably in the MidWest...any suggestions?

Thanks so much:)

By Velvetoneo (Velvetoneo) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:38 am: Edit

I think a higher SAT would be really good for Northwestern and Wash U, but you still have a really good chance. Vandy seems like a really safe bet. I would say UWisconsin-Madison, UMichigan-Ann Arbor, Case Western Reserve, UIllinois-Urbana-Champaign, Purdue, Grinnell, Macalesters are good safeties or at least safe matches.

By Va10s (Va10s) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:41 am: Edit

Thanks so much..I'm pushing for an SAT over 1400 and and ACT over 30. I looked at U of I- Urbana Champaign because both my parents went there and didn't really like it, probably because both of my parents went there:).

But thanks so much

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:57 am: Edit

Midwestern schools? With your credentials, I would look at the following schools:

Carleton College : Match
Grinnell College: Match/Safety
Macalester College: Match
Oberlin College: Match

Private Research Universities:
Chicago: Match
Indiana University-Bloomington: Safety
Michigan-Ann Arbor: Match
Northwestwern: Match/reach
Notre Dame: Match
Vanderbilt: Match
Washington-St. Louis: Match/reach
Wisconsin-Madison: Safety

What do you want to major in Mindy? What sort of atmosphere do you want? Big city or small town? Big school or small school? Strong school spirit? etc...

By Va10s (Va10s) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

I'm looking for big city, small school....

I want to major in education and/or psychology

By Caramelapple (Caramelapple) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Big city with small school is Macalester. Don't know about the education or psychology programs.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Ok, so you have one school in the midwest that fits your needs! LOL Kidding.

Ok, so forget about Grinnell, Oberlin, Carleton, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin and Notre Dame!

Vanderbilt may be a great sollution for you. Nashville is not big, but it is certainly decent sized (over half a million) and Vanderbilt is smallish and has a great school of education.

Boston College also fits the bill. Small college in a big city.

Northwestern has a great school of education too. Unlike the other three, Northwestern also has a great department of psychology. This would be my first choice.

http://www.sesp.northwestern.edu/Programs/index.html

Gustavus Aldolphus College in St Paul. It is an excellent LAC and has a respected education department.

I should think you would get accepted into at least one of those four schools.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

Alexandre, Gustavus Adolphus is not in St. Paul - it is in Saint Peter, about an hour or so away from St. Paul/Minneapolis. But you're right, it is a nice school.

Some other safety suggestions for you: Knox College, Lawrence U, Beloit, St. Olaf, Earlham, Beloit, Lake Forest, Hope College, Kalamazoo - all great schools with either very good psych and/or education programs. A nice safety might also be the University of South Dakota - a smaller public school with an LAC feel. If you're willing to look outside of the midwest, consider Lewis & Clark (Oregon), Reed (Oregon), Occidental (Calif) and the Claremont Colleges in Calif (Pitzer, one of the Claremont schools, has an excellent psychology program and would be a safety for you.) Santa Clara University outside of San Francisco also has an excellent psychology program. On the east coast, Clark University is good for psychology and would be a safety for you. In Texas, take a look at Southern Methodist and Trinity University. Tulane would be another safety to look at.

By Rogracer (Rogracer) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

I think with your class rank, the number of AP classes you are in, and your EC's...you should apply absolutely anywhere you have a desire to go....

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page