My Final College List

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: My Final College List
By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

GPA: 3.189
SAT: 1200
SAT II: I could probably get 600 or above on each test
UC GPA: 3.35

Please tell me my chances and tell me if this is a good list.

REACH

UC Davis
UC Irvine
SDSU

MATCH

UC Santa Cruz
UC Riverside

SAFETY

Cal State Chico
Cal State Long Beach
Cal State Northridge
Cal State San Marcos

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

How do you do BOLD?

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

It's basic html. You'll put commands inside of one of those. The command for bold is b, italic is em, underline is u, etc. You can also change the font size and type. A list of basic commands should be readily available online.

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Sorry the tag didn't show up. > < If you reverse those two you'll get the tag for html that commands go inside of.

By Yugekorb (Yugekorb) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

like this?

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Alias, that list seems about right. And hey, stay hopeful for UC Davis (although the chances aren't 80%+, I'd say you still have a measurable chance of acceptance), considering that most of the people at my school who applied were also accepted (except for me...hmm, got into berkeley and la, but rejected from davis grrr. i mean, the 3.2 GPA class-clown kid got in! just make sure u write solid essays).
Also, UCI is probably also a match for you, not a reach.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. Depending on your extracarriculars, i'd say your list is very solid. as for the CSU's, I recommend u apply to them as early as possible before they fill up. A friend of mine who was more than qualified for CSU Northridge was turned away because he applied relatively late and Northridge's classes had filled.

best of luck.

By Antique (Antique) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Looks good.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

wait Nmoreno1, r u serious? UCI and UCD a match?

I think u mistook my GPA as a 3.89 rather than a 3.189. If not, then i'm underestimating myself and should probably aim higher.

By Zephyr (Zephyr) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

hey, what about UCSB?

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Zephyr, what about it, its still a reach. I honestly don't think I stand a chance. Unless other wise u guys think so.

Wait, I'm getting such positive feedback. Am I just underestimating myself or can i aim higher.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

bump

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Your reach/match/safety list looks right to me.

SDSU, UCI, and UCD accept about 50 percent of applicants. SDSU would definitely be easier to get into just because it is a CSU and the caliber of students is a little different. Not that it isn't a decent school. UCI and UCD have much higher averages for GPA and higher SAT averages than 1200 too. Not to bring your hopes down or anything, cause ya never know! I definitely say its worth the extra 80 bucks to throw UCD and UCI in the mix.

btw, I'm going UCI next year

4.11 uc gpa
660 710 750
6 APs in HS, passed em all
decent ECs but nothing AMAZING

polisci major, got into campuswide honors program and got a chancellors (7k a yr) scholarship. And my stats aren't THAT amazing, so just apply and wait it out. It sucks, I know. But I think your list is about right. Good luck!

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:19 am: Edit

hm, hm...is there a limit on schools?

List looks good, I think, but maybe a little pessimistic. If htere's no limit on schools, I think you could handle on more riskier reach.

By Bballerd7 (Bballerd7) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:50 am: Edit

looks good--just one question, do you REALLY want to go to UCI?

I ask that because I know people who go there, and believe me, they tell me the social scene is absolutely dead. They also say that it's basically like a Community College--you just go to class and go back home or to your dorm (rarely anybody lives on campus).

On your 'reach' list, I'd go for Davis instead, much more sociable people over there I heard..but it's entirely up to you.

By Mhawk177 (Mhawk177) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

OMG BOLD AND ITALICS!!!

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

nah... I have no intrest in UCI. I just added it for the sake of having a reach.

So this will be my new list:

REACH

UC San Diego (just 4 the heck of getting rejected)
UC Santa Barbara (just 4 the heck of getting rejected)
UC Davis
SDSU

MATCH

UC Santa Cruz
UC Riverside

SAFETY

Cal State Chico
Cal State Long Beach
Cal State Northridge
Cal State San Marcos

LOL. Mhawk177, isn't basic html coding great?

By Theguy000 (Theguy000) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

To give you something to compare to I was accepted to UCSB with a 3.2 unweighted gpa and 29 act(=1300 sat). SATII's 600 writing 660 mathIC 730 US history. Zero EC's and in my own opinion terrible essays. I was rejected from Davis. I still think you have an ok chance at either school because even though my test scores were a little higher i applied as an engineering major, which I hear is a little more competitive. Plus your ec's are probably better, as they couldn't be worse.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page