Small high school

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Small high school
By M8913s (M8913s) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

I attend an all girl catholic privet high school.There are only 320 of us in this school,at least 80 people in one class. There's not a lot of courses to pick from. In your senior year the most AP courses you can take are 4, in your jr year 3 and in your sophmopre year none. There's not much competition and it's really easy to get into any sport or club. I want to apply to UCLA and I am afraid that the size of my school might not help my chances to get in. Since, I keep reading about all the "competitive" schools that everyone else attends.

opinions????

By M8913s (M8913s) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

someone answer

By Mayermatthews (Mayermatthews) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Well, does it really matter? I really don't think UCLA weighs the size of your high school much at all in the decision. They'll probably just think "small, private school... she must have gotten a good education." Take every opportunity you have available - all the AP courses allowed, etc. What else are you supposed to do? It's not like they know how easy it is to get into a sport or club, and even if they did, so what? That is definitely not the point. The point is that it demonstrates your leadership and commitment to something. You're going to apply to UCLA regardless, so why worry so much about something you can't control? You have just as good a shot as anybody at getting in, as long as you take advantage of your opportunities and make yourself a competitive applicant! good luck

By M8913s (M8913s) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

thanks

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

umm... actually I do think it matters. But as Mayermatthews said, u cannot control the uncontrollable. But here is what u can do to improve ur chances of admission:

Write a damn good essay explaining that ur school is a certain way. Explain to them that u did all that was possible to stand out to UCLA or where ever. In doing this, they will atleast know that u care about ur future and admit u.

Good Luck.

By M8913s (M8913s) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Well, it's in a bad neighborhood, it's in los angeles (east)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page