This is it!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: This is it!
By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

My friend is too lazy to post her stats, but I am doing it for her.She will be a junior this year,and attends a very competitive school (top 3 in the state)
GPA: 3.97
PSAT: 73 M/70 V/ 69 W (212 total) as a sophomore

She took all honors classes possible: Honors Geometry in her freshman year, and Honors Algebra II and Honors Biology in her sophomore year. She took Honors Spanish I and II and there are no honor classes for other subjects
She will take AP United States History and another Ap course online. She had scheduling conflicts, and she was also told by her counselor that she was taking a heavy load of hard classes (especially honors classes)-so she cant take another ap course

EC
Class President of Sophomores
National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine(10)
*Habitat for Humanity(9-10)
*Amnesty International (10)
*Club Youth Extending Service (9-10)
Future Problem Solving (9-10)
Math Team (10)
Quiz Bowl (9)
Speech (9)

* indicates a leadership position.
Habitat for Humanity- President (in 10th grade)
Amnesty International- Co-founder and Vice-President
Club Youth Extending Service- Advisory Board/Organizator/Chair (10th grade)

AWARDS/HONORS
NYFL'S Certification of Achievement
President's Award for Student Service (volunteering for more than 100 hours)
Future Problem Solving-State Champion (2002-2003)
Future Problem Solving-Honorable Mention (2003-2004)
1st in Sections in Storytelling
A Venture Scholar
A member of the National Society of High School Scholars
4th place in Math Regional Competition (hey, last time, she was in 6th place- she is making a progress)

Community Service: 200+ hours including tutoring the elementary students, adopt-a-highway and hospital

SAT I: March 2005 (2300+)
SAT II: Math IIC, Biology M and Chemistry this Oct, Nov and maybe Jan

She wants to go to Duke, UVA, Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Princeton.

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Sorry for confusion...she did NOT participate in Habitat for Humanity in 9th grade, just in 10th grade. Also, she went to the National Leadership Youth in Medicine in 11th grade (not 10th grade)

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

I think that SAT I prediction is extremely inaccurate given the PSAT score, so I'm going to assume she'd get around a 1450 SATI score and about an average of 750 on three SATII's.

Given that, she probably has no shot at Duke, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or Princeton. The fact that she lists such "awards and honors" like NYLF participation and the President's Award for Student Service (And the National Society of High School Scholars? Give me a break.) shows that she really has no awards or honors at all. Her EC's are decent but not consistent; it looks like a laundry list to me of things she did to make herself look well-rounded.

Her schedule is also relatively weak, with only two AP's done by the end of her junior year (and only one in school).

I'd say that she has very little if any chance at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or Princeton. She's too typical an applicant and is thus easily written off as a rejection. Kind of smart, kind of active, but not nearly enough of either for HYPS.

If she's not an NC resident, I'd say she's not in at Duke either, since Duke is rumored to show somewhat of a preference for in-staters.

I'm not familiar enough with UVA to say anything about it.

Eh, truth hurts.

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:43 am: Edit

I am wondering...who do you think would be a better applicant: my friend or me (Harvard University: "I know it is WAY too soon, but..."?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:54 am: Edit

Ubercollegeman, I disagree entirely with your assessment, particularly regarding Duke. I got into Duke and my grades were not as good as that girl's. Granted, my SAT was a 1540 when a 1540 meant something, but I still think that a 4.0 student, potential Natinal Merit Scholar Semi-Finalist, with a 1450 on her SAT, ranked in the top 5% of her HS class has a good shot at Duke. Afterall, the mean SAT score at Duke is 1420 and a full 10% of the entering class did not even graduate in the top 10% of their High School class.

H,P,S,Y are another story. Nobody has a good shot at those schools, but she certainly isn't out of the running. The mean SAT score at Stanford is 1450. At Princeton and Yale, close to 40% of the class get 1450 or less.

If Smartgirl's friend can get a 1450 on her SAT, Duke would be a match and H,P,S and Y would be reaches.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit

Whenever I see friends posting "friends" stats, I always wonder whether the stats are really the poster or whether the poster is simply a very nosey person. I assume that if someone truly wanted the board's advice, they would post their own stats, not have their friend do it.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

I'm reiterating that I don't think she has a shot because of two aspects:

a) Literally no very significant awards or honors. I've never heard of "Future Problem Solving" but a quick google search yields a site that looks like it was designed by a 2nd grader. I mean, if there is some prestige to this contest, then correct me. But it looks weird to me, since I've never seen it in a single person's "What are my chances?" post until now.

b) Weak schedule. I guess this wasn't really her fault, but "honors" classes, unless they're at very specific schools that have reputations, are usually very flaky (nowhere near AP-level, in other words). I'm always suspicious about honors classes because there is no standard to judge them by. Yes, I've seen difficult honors classes, but the majority that I've taken are laughable compared to the AP level.

So like I said before. Kind of smart, kind of outgoing, but not enough of either. If she really does get around a 2300-2350 on the SAT and a 780 or so average on the SATII's, though, then it's a different story.

Side note: It seems that the 3.97 GPA is the result of one B. That one B has dropped her all the way down to rank 30? 29 people in her class have 4.0 GPAs? How easy is this school?

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

I agree with Northstarmom...

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Ubbercollegeman, 30 students with a 4.0 GPA is indeed a lot, if her class had 300 students. But her class has close to 800 students. I don't think that the top 3 or 4% having 4.0 GPAs is excessive.

It is impossible to predict how she will do on her SATs, but all facts point to her having at least a 1400 on her SAts and averaging at least 750 on her SAT IIs. If that is the case, Duke is certainly a possibility.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page