I know I have good scores, but can I get into Stanford, Prin

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: I know I have good scores, but can I get into Stanford, Prin
By Kingb123 (Kingb123) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Those are my top three choices right now (didn't care much for Harvard). I attend a very well known private school in D.C. and actually spent my junior year studying abroad and living with a host family in Zaragoza, Spain (I assume this sets me a bit apart from the crowd).

My test scores are as follows:
SAT 1 : 1550

SAT2s:
Writing: 780
Math 2C: 790
Spanish: 800

APs - My home school doesn't offer them until senior year, but I studied indepently for them.
English Language - 5
Eng. Lit. - 5
Calc. AB - 5
Span. Language - 5
Span. Lit. - 5

Here are my ECS:
Owner of ZapMonkey.com
Member of Orientation Committee for incoming students
Attended Spanish Lecture series (in Spain) on Don Quijote by experts in the field. - received Spanish university credit for it
tought old people how to use computers,
Paid writer for UGO.com and Gamerspulse.com (have interviewed bands like O.A.R., 311, etc.)
summer at U Michigan, took business and marketing course
Work at local running/tennis store

Internship at state district attorney's office
JETS (Junior engineering and tech. society)
math team,
Member of a FIRST robotics team
Owner of King B Enterprises (LLC)
Holder of a provisional patent,
Edited Writers of the Future XVII,a publishedscience fiction compilation
squash team,
jazz ensemble
pep band,
Business manager of school newspaper
Chosen to speak at Gyoza Club (scholarly club for Chinese studies) in 10th grade
Writer for Cybernet Project and PrimaryContact.net in 9th grade
Business consultant for school news paper 12th grade

My biggest "hooks" I think are my patent, my two businesses, my paid writing jobs, and my year in Spain. I know I've done a lot, but is this good enough to get into Stanford? Thanks, B

By Kingb123 (Kingb123) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

Oh, and I have an A- or so average, which is very high for my school. Last semester Junior year I managed to pull off 2 A+s and 4 As

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

u probably have as good of shot as anyone

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Have you looked at UPenn Wharton? Apply ED and you're probably in. The same goes for NYU Stern and all the other undergrad business schools. It kind of seems like you would fit in there.

For Stanford, I'd say you've got a good chance. You seem to think that the year in Spain is very important, but I am personally far more impressed by your head for business.

I'm not sure how the schools will take your A- average, though. Make sure that the counselors express just how hard your school is and that an A- average is impressive. Just a question: what approximate rank does that put you in out of how many students?

Anyway, look into Wharton. If that doesn't impress you, I'd say your chances at Stanford EA are fairly good. I like to think of it as "expect an acceptance, but don't feel robbed if you don't get in."

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

That IIC score is gonna keep you out. What is it, 80th percentile or something?

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

(aww, I got a 770 on the IIC...)

But moving on, you're one of those interesting applicants who *I* like. If I think like an adcom, and you write good essays...then you're good.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page