University of Florida -- CHANCES

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: University of Florida -- CHANCES
By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

I recently looked at UF on Princeton Review's site, and its selectivity ranking is 98!!! I knew it was getting more competitive, but I have a hard time swallowing this; I think itís a mistake considering their acceptance rate is in the 50ís.

I was planning on going, as were a couple of my friends -- what are our chances?

ME:
3.4 unweighted, 4.63 weighted
Between 15% and 20% ranking
Almost all honors classes
Sophomore year: 1 AP
Junior year: 4 APís
Senior year: 4 APís
1400 SAT
740, 710, 640 SAT II
Decent/bad ECís (but I have a job)

PERSON 1:
3.2 unweighted, 4.0 weighted
Between 20% and 27% ranking
Sophomore year: 1 AP
Junior year: 4 APís
Senior year: 3 APís
1380 SAT
No SAT II
Bad ECís, but with a job

PERSON 2:
3.3 unweighted, 4.4 weighted
Between 20% and 25% ranking
Junior Year: 4 APís
Senior Year: 4 APís
1340 SAT
No SAT II
Decent/Bad ECís, but with a job

A percentage (0 - 100%) or numerical (0-10) chances ranking would be great.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:21 am: Edit

Being a UF student, I know right now all three of you would be at or near the top quartile of the applicant pool. Assuming all three of you are in-state, you're in, but your two friends I cannot 100% guarantee, and the first two will be in to the honors college should you be accepted (minimum and only req is a 1380 SAT I if I'm not mistaken). Princeton Review may be referring to UF's selectively for out-of-state. It is not entirely untruthful, because I had a friend get rejected in-state with a 1420 SAT, international awards in digital media but lousy EC's (only two, but he participated like mad in them). UF doesn't look at SAT II's either. Do keep in mind UF is an active school so bad EC's hurt. Here are my %'s for you guys:

You: 95%
Person 1: 85%
Person 2: 85%

That's based on a little sheet I got from my guidance counselor with a table of SAT + GPA to % chance at UF conversion though using stats as the only criteria.

http://www.ir.ufl.edu/data/firstadmis.htm for reference

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Wow, what a relief! Thank you, Vsage3!

It is not entirely untruthful, because I had a friend get rejected in-state with a 1420 SAT, international awards in digital media but lousy EC's (only two, but he participated like mad in them). . . . Do keep in mind UF is an active school so bad EC's hurt.

Maybe I'm misreading something, but if that's true, how come our chances are so high?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Because he blew off his essays and I'm assuming you guys are responsible young adults and won't do the same, :p. Additionally, his GPA was around 3.3 unweighted but chose not to enroll in more than two or so AP courses per year and opted for "research" three or more periods out of 7 (a euphemism for 'do nothing and get an A'). Your chances are high because UF puts an ungodly amount of emphasis on SAT scores and GPA because it's trying to make a name for itself beyond being a football team with a university tacked on. From what I got from freshman orientation, the kids fall into one of two categories that hardly overlap: academically motivated, 3.8 GPA (UF weighting, roughly 0.5pts extra per AP and 0.25 for honors based on our unweighted) 1350 SAT score, little involvement but not much in EC's OR preppy 3.4 GPA, 1100 or less SAT score and have EC's out the wazoo; usually captain of the blah blah team for 3 years etc. I think you misread my percentages as "so high". Sure, 85% looks high, but that's 15% chance that you do NOT get in. Anyway, just work on that GPA because that's the greatest weakpoint I see that you three could all fix at this point: 1 year EC's look sort of lame.

By Rogracer (Rogracer) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

As a parent that has just gone thru the UF admission process, let me add another comment about UF's admissions, which have gotten more difficult in the last couple of years. UF now uses a "holistic" approach...the effect of which is more attention to class rankings, AP classes, EC's, and a little less on SAT scores. Your examples all show good SATs....BUT....all the class rankings are a little low. UF really would like to see you in the top 10% of your HS class. 80% of the incomming 2004 class makes that cut...and it will be a litle higher next year. Still, your chances are all good, but I know of students that were rejected with similar stats.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

The reason all our rankings are so low is we come from a top TOP public school...it's considered the best in South Florida, and there's a good chance you know which it is just from that. To be in the top 10% in my school you need over a 5.0. Still, I'm sure a 15-20% ranking will look bad, but I sure hope it won't keep me from getting accepted! :(

Does applying ED/EA (which ever they have) help a lot?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Let's see from your info you're either from Miami Springs or Suncoast. I'm only going by which schools owned the most in Mu Alpha Theta though. If you're in the top school, UF will know that. Oh yeah and all the kids I know that applied ED (they only have ED, which is binding) all got in. This is like 15 people too representing many different interests. I know the pain of going to a good public school: I had 4 semester B's up through senior year and I was ranked 16th out of 110 until a policy change made me 2nd. Good luck.

By Rogracer (Rogracer) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

I think your main strength is the number of AP classes you've enrolled in....that's a big deal for UF. But I do think your GPA and class ranks are a little low....be aware that UF uses it's own "weighting system"...which is more conservative than the usual HS system....so your weighted GPA is not 4.6 in UF's opinion, I'm sure (only a half-point is added to AP classes). Unweighted GPA's below 3.5 are low by UF's standards now....and your lack of ECs are also a problem. But do I think you'll get in? Yes, I do, ED or otherwise....

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Thank you both for your help! :)

Any other input?

By Starryeyedgirl (Starryeyedgirl) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

i agree with the predictions of vsage, you especially, seem to have a good chance...just don't blow of your application! (essay, etc)

also, do you go to Nova High in Davie?

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Since I've posted so much personal information on this board, I'd rather not give out my high school name because I don't want to run into anyone I know here.

And bump. :)

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Hah yeah someone I know found out I'm on this forum and I use this person a lot as an example (but usually I'm lying an amount to make someone feel better, but this person is pretty cool about it). What are the three of you planning in majoring in? I ask this because UF is top in the state in engineering according to USNews (search the board for USNews college rankings) at around #24, but you should know UF does not have a pre-pharm or pre-law degree program; it's more like liberal arts in biology or politics or something. I don't remember the specifics.

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:27 am: Edit

ur definately in UF. YOur freinds too, although you have a much better chance. If you live in florida your eligble for bright futures scholarship too which i think you can get at max 75% due to your gpa

By Ranibaybee (Ranibaybee) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Hey! I was reading above that someone was assessing someone's chances of getting into the University of Florida. As we all know, competition is rising for this college. Does anyone know my chances of getting in??
ME:
3.467 unweighted, 4.1 weighted
Between 5% and 10% ranking
All AP and IB Classes
Sophomore year: 1 AP/I IB
Junior year: 7 AP's/IB's
Senior year: 6 AP's/IB's
1300 SAT
Good EC's:
National Honor Society Officer
Seminole Asian Club President
Mu Alpha Theta
Dance Team (2 yrs)
Lang. Clubs
Vice President of Student Council Sophomore year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page