General Score Ranges for Ivies, Stanford, etc.??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: General Score Ranges for Ivies, Stanford, etc.??
By Jackiec (Jackiec) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:38 am: Edit

What do you think the realistic general score ranges for SAT I and SAT II and GPA ranges are for acceptance to Ivies, Stanford, MIT, etc?

Yes, I know they look at other factors too, but let's say that everything else is mediocre.

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:31 am: Edit

If everything else is mediocre, even a 1600/800/800/800/4.0 won't get you in.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:09 am: Edit

What do you mean by "everything else is mediocre"?

At any rate, typically, you have two levels of selective schools. I must note that I am assuming Engliosh is your native language and that you are not an underrepresented minority:

Group 1)
Caltech
Harvard
MIT
Princeton
Stanford
Yale

At those schools, you really don't have much room for error. You never really have a good chance of getting in, but you need well over a 1450 on the SAT and an average well over 750 on your SAT IIs to be seriously considered.

Unweighed GPA's have to hover in the 3.9-4.0 range, having taken a pretty challenging course load.

Group 2)
Amherst
Bowdoin
Brown
Cal-Berkeley for out of staters
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Georgetown
Harvey Mudd
Haverford
Middlebury
Penn
Pomona
Rice
Swarthmore
Washington and Lee
Washington University
Wesleyan
William and Mary (for out of staters)
Williams

Those schools, are slightly easier, but they are still very selective. To have a remotely realistic chance of getting in, you need well over a 1350 on the SAT and an average of 750 on your SAT IIs.

Unweighed GPA's have to hover in the 3.8-4.0 range, having taken a pretty challenging course load.

Group 3.
Bates
Boston College
Cal-Berkeley for in-staters
Cal-Los Angeles for out of staters
Chicago
Colby
Cornell
Davidson
Emory
Grinnell
Johns Hopkins
Michigan-Ann Arbor for out of staters
North Carolina-Chapel Hill for out of staters
Notre Dame
Oberlin
Reed
Southern California
Tufts
USCD for out of staters
Vanderbilt
Vassar
Virginia for out of staters
William and Mary for in-staters

Those schools, are slightly easier, but they are still very selective. To have a realistic chance of getting in, you need well over a 1250 on the SAT and an average of at least 700 on your SAT IIs.

Unweighed GPA's have to hover in the 3.7-4.0 range, having taken a pretty challenging course load.

By Crow14 (Crow14) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 06:55 am: Edit

entropicgirl made a good point.

i think a lot of people misunderstand the statistics - just because you are above average doesn't immediately put you at an advantage; likewise, just beacuse you are below average that doesn't mean you're chances will immediately plummet either.

you simply don't get an average by having your entire student body fit that average - you need half above and half below.

you hear about people with 1600 on their SATs getting rejected - well that's probably because the rest of the application didn't live up to the spectacular board scores.

so if your "other factors" such as activities/awards/talents can't distinguish you from the pile, you won't catch the admission officer's eye.

that said, please look at your extracurricular activities and try to find a way to help them accentuate your strengths. maybe you can discuss them passionately in your essays (don't go overboard though). your essays are going to be vital in showing them that you're not "mediocre".

best of luck.

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

those are huge generalizations you are making, especially when many of those schools have many undergraduate colleges, some of those colleges are extremely tough to get into while some are relatively easy to get into (thus, there is a balance in admission overall). and it all depends on what you want to do for example, architecture.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page