GEORGETOWN SFS chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: GEORGETOWN SFS chances?
By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

Hi, I have a very strong interest in international relations and politics - and I love cities, so Georgetown seems to be the best match for me. But I really don't know what my chances are. I'm looking at the School of Foreign Services, so if you could tell me what ya think, that'd be great. Thanks!

SATI:

Verbal 800
Math 640
(Was sick during math, left room, left 5 questions blank....you get the picture. Retaking October - anticipate 700+ Math [1500+ SATI combined])

SATII:

Writing 740
Spanish 740
US History 720

also: Bio 720, Math IIC 700, World History 690
(do they care after the top 3?)

APs:

World History 5 (self taught)
Comp Govt 4
Spanish 4
US History 5

Next Year APs:

Micro
Macro
Calc AB
Stat
Spanish Lit
US Govt (self-teach)

GPA: 3.8 or 3.9, not really sure (grades fell last term)

Also, my school doesn't rank, although class rank seems to be a biggie @ georgetown. Thank goodness tho - the top 25% of my VERY competitive high school has a 4.0 out of 4.0 unweighted GPA. (Can you say, ouch?)
ECs:

President and Founder of "The Beatles and Beyond Club" - 4 years

Student newspaper writer - 2 years

Big Sib/Little Sib mentoring program - 1 year

Spanish Honors Society

Cambridge College Program -
2 college courses - A and B+

Columbia Summer High School Program

That's basically it.

I also have one more question....

I'd like to apply EA, but my grades did fall a bit (from a 95 to an 89 through the two terms of junior year) - should I wait for regular app so that my senior grades will show? (expecting much better this year.) I know I have nothing to lose by applying EA, but is it worth it or should I apply somewhere else EA where I have a better shot? (If so, where....)

Thanks again!!!!

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

bump.....anyone, please?

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:12 am: Edit

You can only be defferred and accepted EA, so you should apply EA to spread out your apps, unless you want to ED somewhere. Can't do that.

Good chance though, I think.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Thanks. :D I forgot you can apply to other places EA as well.

Any other takers?

By Calling_Ester (Calling_Ester) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

heh, you go to stuy don't you? i know what it's like.

your GPA and SATs are pretty decent, however, the grades falling and the weak ECs are probably not going to help. i'd say apply EA cause you can't get rejected, but i wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

sorry.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Haha yeah, how'd ya guess?

I kinda hate how i f**ked up junior year....but too late now, eh?

Funny, I keep meeting stuy ppl on this board - looked at your profile and from your xanga pic i've definitely seen u @ starbucks on chambers or something. lol. there are an unbelievable amount of stuy ppl around...

I'm applying overseas, there are colleges in England i wanna go to more than anything in the US besides Georgetown, which is the only college that is focussed enough on int'l relations (SFS) and in a city at the same time....

Maybe 7th term grades'll help..... **sigh**

Thanks for being honest, i appreciate it.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

Hey,

I am wondering, does stuy send grades on the 4.0 scale or 100 scale to colleges? I go to Bronx Science BTW. If so would you mind posting the data between the 100 point and 4.0 scale? Thank you. Sorry I am not knowledgable enough about SFS to comment.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

I believe Stuy just sends a high school transcript....and the GPA is only out of 100 on there, so thats that.

There's a conversion chart somewhere on the Princeton Review site. I think its basically:
95 and up = 4.0, 94 = 3.9, 93 = 3.8, etc.

Any other opinions on SFS would be great. Thanks.

By Calling_Ester (Calling_Ester) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

i think what you should do is apply for the college and take courses at SFS, which would be fun.

also, have you looked at george washington? its a fantastic international relations school and its also right in D.C.

By Ghhizzmo (Ghhizzmo) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

What is "Beatles and Beyond"? It sounds interesting.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Hmm... can you apply to both the college and SFS at once?

Oh and thnx ester - i'm definitely applying to GW as well.

The Beatles and Beyond club is a kind of "hub" for classic rock fans....from the Beatles, to Bowie, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, and....well...beyond. We raise money so we can afford to go to concerts, share music, invite speakers, watch movies, discuss musicians/lyrics, that kind of stuff. It's turned out to be a great little community of ppl who mite never have met in such a large school, who all share a strong common interest. It was really weird tho - i submitted the charter for the club to the Student Union the night in november of freshman year before George Harrison's death was announced. I actually wokeup the morning after submitting the charter, thinking it was a dream that George died, but then realized I had heard the news onthe 1010 WINS radio station i wake up to as my alarm. It was really strange timing...kinda freaked me out, but also got me moving on the club.

Hope that satisfies your curiousity, Ghhizzmo! ;)

By Lax46 (Lax46) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:03 am: Edit

Maybe this is off-topic Miscgirl, but can you tell me which books you used in self-studying AP World History and how exactly you actually self studied this course.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:11 am: Edit

Sure Lax46, no problem.

I actually intended to do a much better job self-studying the course than I ended up doing. ;)

Basically, I used the Barrons AP World History book as a text. I read through approx 8-10 pages per day - don't remember how long it took me - but I definitely didn't start any earlier than March. I took the quizzes at the end of each chapter and made sure I understood anything I got wrong. I basically just used the whole book - nothing special. But I tend to be generally good at history, so you might want to supplement the book, or go over it twice like i had planned to do originally.

I personally thought the AP was fairly easy....I kinda felt like half the test was on Buddhism, but that was just this year. Good luck!

Any other opinions on SFS are always welcome.

And can you apply to both the college and SFS at the same time?

Thanks!

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:01 am: Edit

Miscgrl, simply put: No. You cannot apply to COL and SFS at the same time.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:04 am: Edit

And about the 7th term grades: well, I wouldn't wait. It can't hurt to apply EA because EA is double-round anyway (you can only get deferred or accepted the first round).

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit

OK, thanks Tiaktan.

To boost my ECs, I also just remembered the three mini-documentaries I directed/produced on "Georget W. Bush and the 'Axis of Evil'", "The Patriot Act", and "Alexander Lukashenko: Dictator of Belarus" - all around 20 minutes each. Although I showed them to my classes, they were not required or for extra credit.

I worked extremely hard on them, and used political humor and comedy clips integrated with facts to actually make them really entertaining. I wonder if Georgetown would care?

Eh, anyway. Thanks everyone! Is there anything else I can do now to improve my chances?

By Dressagechick (Dressagechick) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Definetly mention those in your essays or your interview, they might help your application a lot. Or add them as a hobby in the EC list in the application. Btw, which colleges outside of the US are you applying to?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page