How much is too much

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: How much is too much
By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

Hey I'm a rising junior I signed up to take all (7) AP classes. I am taking Calculus AB, English, Physics b, Chemistry, Biology, Statistics, and History. I am doing this to raise my rank from 38 out 1013 to somewhere in the top 10. Will doing this improve my chances at top schools. Or will they think i've taken too many.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Oh I took one AP sophmore year, macroeconomics and got a 4.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

hello anyone there

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Why is no one answering me?

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Son monos

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

If you can get straight A's in 7 AP classes, certainly that will improve your chances at top schools. There's no such thing as taking too many APs unless you don't take the exams.

By Tenbelow (Tenbelow) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Are you taking all seven in one year? Three AP sciences in one year? I can't even think of a person I know who could handle that kind of coursework in one year. I don't mean to discourage you, but that just sounds like a lot... and by taking 7 in one year you give yourself a lot of room to mess up. Certainly if you could do well in all of them it would be amazing on the application. But with all that work would you even have time to do extracurriculars? Remember, what you do out of school also has a great bearing on college admissions these days. Believe me, taking one AP is much, much different from 7 in one year. I'm guessing I've misunderstood and that you're spreading these courses between junior and senior year?

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

No you haven't missunderstood. My parents are making me take physics. I have to take a math. I love chemistry. I hear AP Bio is mad easy. I have to take english. My History teacher refused to sign me in to anything but AP. And Statistics is the easiest math to me. So that's how it happened. My senior year I plan on taking 6 AP and study hall.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

As for EC's BPA never meets. Math honor society meets for 15min once a month. English Honor society is the same. I plan to join National honor society, and the Science honor society. And I volunteer at the hospital over the summer.

By Pink17 (Pink17) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

you realize that if you get overwhelmed and cant handle all those classes and get low grades as a result, you'll hurt your chances a lot more than if you just lighten the load.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Yes I do. But my friend's brother took 7 AP and was on the football team, president of the math honor society, and got straight A's. So it is possible.

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

yeah, thats manageable, i had 5 ap senior yr, 6 if i could have fit in physics, but i ended up taking regents physics. i was taking 9 classes senior yr b/c of the aps and graduation requirements.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Wow. 9 classes.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

That must have been a lot of work

By Genova (Genova) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

I'll be taking four AP (English, US History, Spanish, Calc) as a junior, and I honestly think that's enough...and you know, I know /a lot/ of very intelligent people who are only going to be taking three. No AP course is going to be 'mad easy,' either, unless you are naturally an expert in (insert subject here). Seven is a lot, as well as a risk; there's no guarentee that you're going to get straight A's.

Think about it. AP courses are intended to be at a college level...how many courses does the average college student take in one semester (which is equivalent to a year's work)? Four to six.

If you truly believe you can handle it, then go for it. Many do. But if it were me, knowing of what I am capable and just how much homework and stress I can honestly handle in one day, I'd definitely reconsider.

By Jkc789 (Jkc789) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

seems to me like you answered your own question

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Thanks for the input. MONOS estan en mis pantalones.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

I wish i could drop physics. MONOS

By Idiias (Idiias) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

lol chicken...this isn't a chat room you expect people to answer in the first minute?? lol

and do you think you can handle 7 classes? you took one already so you should be able to tell...7 is alot. what if you end up getting 3 C's, 2 B's, and 2 A's...? I'm not sure but a college might rather see A's in just 4 or 5 Ap classes...?

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

nah, 9 classes were a lot, but my school offered 10 periods.

i got lucky, second semester, we got a substitute teacher for USAP and Govt AP (still managed a 4 because i studied my head off for them) and I had really good econ, math, and english ap teachers. yes, it was challenging, especially english ap (but i had to take english 11 as well <--easy + boring) but nothing unmanageable + applying to colleges.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

you can handle 7 classes if you really apply yourself. What do you think IB students go through?

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Good point

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

I think a lot depends on how the school teaches APs. While the test is one thing, every school, even every teacher can teach an AP differently.

It's amazing to hear someone taking 7 APs, personally, at my school you aren't even ALLOWED to take more than 4, unless you get your parents permission, and even then 5 is the limit.

These courses really are meant to be COLLEGE level. I took 3 APs this year, and selftaught myself one, and that was unbelievably hard. Yet I've met people from other schools who were taking 3 APs and said it wasn't much harder than regents level classes, etc. except for taking the test.

In other words, if I took 7 APs my GPA would plummet, even if I managed to handle all the AP tests. If your school isn't as harsh on AP students in terms of courseload/homework/in-school tests, and you think you can handle the tests (all in the space of two weeks...) then go for it.

I think it depends on each school's standards for "AP" level.

By Dukedreamer (Dukedreamer) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:37 am: Edit

I am in the same boat as you. I need my gpa/rank to go up. I decided that 7 was too much. I had AP Calc AB (no precal), chem, bio, physics b, eng, history, and stats. Even if i did poorly in one of my classes, the other 6 couldn't make up for it. Plus if I had taken 7 this year, I wouldn't have that many "good" classes I could take next year. So I decided I go ahead and take pre cal and take BC next year, and I dropped physics b to take latin 3 and take physics C next year (that would also let me take ap latin senior year). Whether you're top 10 or top 30, its only a .2% difference.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

I took 6 AP's and one non-AP my junior year (7 if you count Physics C as two) and pulled a 4.0 through that, and it wasn't SO bad. I did all right on my APs too (six 5's, one 4 on Art History, and I can say I didn't deserve a 5 anyway since I put about 15 minutes outside of class a week into it).

I did homework/studying for about 2 or 2.5 hours a day on average, but that's REAL studying, not sitting there and chatting on AIM while semi-reading a book. Go for it if you think you're gifted, not because you want to raise your GPA. If raising your GPA a lot is your goal, you might just do the opposite and get B's and C's.

At any rate, I'd say go for it if you think you're pretty gifted. However, expect to work pretty hard, especially if you get hard teachers.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

what kind of school is this?? if it allows you to take 7 APs in your junior year, im assuming class lengths are not very long or you use block scheduling. Either way, I don't think your teachers are going to ahve the time to teach you guys all you have to know for the AP exams and still have time to do practice tests.

Our school has a standard 7 class schedule: 5 open for academics, 1 study hall (mandatory for AP sciences due to substantial lab time), and 1 slot for electives. Each class is an hour long, and meets 4 days a week. We learn the entire AP curriculum before the exams and have plenty of time to practice: thus saving us our own personal time and getting us better prepared. For example, our AP Calc class finishes the curriculum by February and just practices and practices; we average about 75+/80 students getting 5s each year.

Dunno, maybe your school is different. But i'd rather take some fewer APs and get more indepth and better scores.

By Dukedreamer (Dukedreamer) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

2 to 2.5 hrs/night for all 6 ap classes??? At my school, the smartest people spend 45min -1 hr/night per class!

By Starryeyedgirl (Starryeyedgirl) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

same here dukedreamer!

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

Yeah, I don't know. Whenever I tell people how little time I spend studying, it always kind of fazes them, and I don't really quite get it myself. But I mean, hey, look at my grades and my AP scores; it's not like I don't know the material.

If you're curious, these were my AP classes and tests:

Computer Science AB (self-studied extra material for AB)
Calculus BC
Physics C: Mechanics
Physics C: E&M
English Language
Art History
US History

So, make of it what you will. 12 semesters of AP courses in a year. Oh, yeah. My seventh class was Mandarin 3.

By Hammertime (Hammertime) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Umm, Chicken123, I hate to break it to you, but your ECs are seriously lacking. Besides honors societies, which don't really mean that much, you are doing only one EC during the school year, and you'll participate in it for less than 1 hour a week. If I were you I'd dump a couple of the APs (you can always take a bunch next year), because you need to actually get involved in an EC, and on top of that you'll have the stress of SATs and SAT 2s. I just don't see why you'd want to put yourself through that.

As much as people here like to think otherwise, it's still very healthy and normal to have a fully functioning social life during your junior year of high school, on top of all the academic stress and ECs. If you take 7 APs, and the APs are anything like the ones that I had at my high school, I just don't see how you could handle that courseload and still be able to have fun and participate in ECs.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:00 am: Edit

its probably not too bad, i took 4 APs last year +physics(we dont have AP, boo) and french 4. i got one B first semester, and straight As second. but i slacked. i think i did maybe 2 hour of homework 4 or 5 times a week. also, stat-"mad easy", and calc ab-"also mad easy" but from what i hear, AP Bio at MY school is one of the hardest AP tests. good luck, if you need it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page