Are these good classes for a good college?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Are these good classes for a good college?
By Akarory (Akarory) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:13 am: Edit

I was wondering:
1) What grades do you need to make in freshmen year, or GPA, to get into a good college?

2) Do you think that these classes were good picks:

Freshmen Focus (required)
Physical Health and Wellness (required)
Drama 2 (I already have taken drama 6 years, so she bumped me again from 1 to 2)
Algebra 1 CP-B
English 1 CP-B
Global Studies 1 CP-B
French 2 CP-B (no honors course)
Physical Science CP-B
Homeroom (lol)
PSAT in October (Practice for 10th grade)

Anyways the levels of classes were:
CP-A
CP-B
Honors (except french, freshmen focus, drama, physical health and wellness)
What do you think??? Not having honors will it affect my chances or anything?? For a good college? Thanks! THESE ARE FRESHMEN CLASSES, AND I WAS WONDERING IF ITS A GOOD START AND WHAT I SHOULD BE TRYING TO TAKE NEXT YEAR FOR CLASSES. ALSO, I'M TAKING THE PSAT THIS YEAR.

By Dmxdawg (Dmxdawg) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

GPA- well, the best answer is do the best you can. Ideally, a 4.0 UW obviously : )

And your freshman year classes- it looks fine, just make sure you take the hardest classes possible without exerting yourself in the future.

By Knightmare123 (Knightmare123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Yes, certainly select your courses so they will allow you to get the hardest/best classes in your junior and senior years. Get your maths and sciences up. Even your languages, colleges like to see some of these. Plus, don't be like me, and not participate in a couple of extracurricular activities starting your freshmen year, and make sure you follow them through your whole high school career; the more commitement you put into a couple of ec activities is better than 30 billion activities, so choose wisely. As per classes, yours look fine. See what field/colleges you want to go to early, so that you can look at their requirements as well. Some colleges require you to have 3-4 yrs of foreign language, or 4 yrs of math, 4 yrs of science w/ lab, etc. So, depending on your college list, you should set a good course of study for yourself. I know it may seem like it's a bit too early to be thinking about colleges, but, with all the partying and whatnot (I can hear you say, of course not, I'm an angel), you'll be in your junior/senior year in no time. So, just select the most difficult classes your school has to offer, and remember to keep up your EC's, do a lot of volunteering, stay involved in some leadership position [i.e. Student Gov't], and remember to study for your SATs/ACTs in advance, and you'll be on your way to a good college, fo' sho' lol..

By Akarory (Akarory) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Wow! Thanks a ton!! I am hoping to do honors english and social studies next year. I am also going to be doing a chemistry/physics class, because I would like to go to medical school for anasteisiology! I am planning on 3 years of French, already got 2 done. Earned one highschool credit for it in 8th grade. Thanks again so much. I am also going to get involved in:
Drama Club (I've done theatre/drama for 6 years)
Golf Team
Student Council
And a few other things.
I am in NO WAY going to get near partying. I really don't want to. And I am so excited I began thinking about college in 7th grade, except I think I need to start researching requirements. Thanks again sooooo much you two! You really helped me out!!!!

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

my advice to you...have some fun during this whole process! that doesn't mean you have to me a partyer but still, try to have some fun because you can't get your high school years back. honestly, if you try hard and stay involved throughout high school you should have no problem getting into a top college and becoming an anasteisologist, but have some fun in the process!!!! just my 2 cents :)

By Akarory (Akarory) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Thanks moonsurfer21!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Does Physical Science lead to your HS top track of science classes? Around here, the best science students usually do Bio, Chem, Physics and an AP in their four years. Check the tracks in the science department and talk to your counselor with these questions. Every school is different. Some schools make it very hard to switch tracks.

BTW, I wish you good luck in your future plans, but no one will ever take you seriously if you can't spell "anesthesiology."

By Akarory (Akarory) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Sorry. Its not the easiest word to spell, lol!! Physical Science is required for 9th graders. You can not take anything else until the 10th grade. It stinks so much! Well thanks. And thanks for the good luck in anesthesiology. I don't think I'm ever going to spell it wrong again.

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

That's a great attitude, Rory. Knock 'em dead in Physical Science, and have a great year.

By Akarory (Akarory) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page