What to expect?!?! will i get in?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: What to expect?!?! will i get in?
By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

applying to: UCLA, UCSD, UCB, UCD, NYU, Columbia, Brown, Northwestern, Washington U in St Louis, USC, UCI

SAT 1- 1360
SAT 2-
writing 660
math2c 770
physics 660

GPA- 4.3

NHS, CSF, Interact president, Science Olympiad VP, Club Hope activities commisioner, key club, ABC123 VP...
Student of month in Geom
Award in Geom, Chemistry, and US HIST

AP Physics B- 4
AP spanish 4- 3
AP Lang- 4
AP Physics C- TBD
AP Calc BC- TBD
AP Gov- TBD
AP Lot- TBD

MAth Anal Honors
Enlighs 1 Honors
everything else acc (except for sum that werent offered)

good recs and outstanding essay
4 year job
orchestra
community service is fair, did sum international stuff

cali resident, turkish, female
dad USC alumni

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

"good recs and oustanding essay"

^From a person with your stats, I'd bet 10-1 that that is false. I don't know anything about you personaly, so this isn't an attack on you. I'm just saying you probably write terribly. Read my "Your Essays Suck" thread for more details. But that point aside:

UCD/USC/UCI: Really good chance. I'd expect an acceptance.

UCSD: I'd expect an acceptance, but don't be surprised if you don't get in.

UCB/UCLA: You're about 50-50. I'd say you'll probably get into at least one, but read above comment about UCSD.

I'm not familiar enough with NYU to make a call on that one.

Northwestern/WUSTL: I wouldn't reach past these. I doubt you'll get in.

Columbia/Brown: Not worth your money. You won't get in.

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

thats wut i was thinking

as for the essay

im an outstanding essay writer
ap lang and stuff- i usually got high As on all my essays and 9s on the mocks.
so yea it was kind of an attack
my essay writing ability is noted in school so yea.thanks

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:54 am: Edit

super reach: columbia
reaches: brown, northwestern, wash u
reach/match: berkeley, ucla, nyu
match: ucsd
safety: uci, usc, ucd

your stats are average as far as good schools go, but so are ur ECs, so youre kinda stuck. but i had nearly identical GPA and SAT 1 and SAT II scores, and i got into berkeley, ucla, uci, usc, rejected from columbia, if that helps in comparison. good luck.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:13 am: Edit

As much as I'd like to believe you're a good writer, that 4 in AP Language (had you really written "9" essays, this would be an EASY 5), 660 SAT II Writing, probable 6xx in SATI Verbal, and terrible online grammar say otherwise. And, no, I don't buy into that "I'm just a bad testtaker" line. I believe you're competent but not much better. But, hey, don't let me spoil your day. If you think you're good, then you think you're good.

Almost nobody is "outstanding," and I'm no exception. I'm only saying all this because I hate it when people think they're good at writing when they aren't.

Well, whatever. Forget you ever read this; it's just my little rant.

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

im sorry u feel that way.
i should have gotton a 5 on the ezam but i screwed one of the essays over totally..i didnt get what was goig on nd i ran out of time!

as for my internet grammer....well frankly dear, i dont give a damn. im not trying to impress anyone online ...i guess u r
i am a great writer...and whether u believe it or not....i sincerely dont care the least!
but thanks for takin all that time to make a judgement about something/someone u dont even know the slightest bit.

kfc4u--thanks for the help! u made me feel a lot better!

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

I have to go with ubercollegeman.

Great essay writer with poor reading comprehension skills? Perhaps.
However, even ignoring the lack of capitalization (because I like lowercase myself, haha) and all the typos (or at least, I hope they're typos) I count at least 9 slips in grammar/spelling in 6 lines. Definitely not an outstanding writer.

I'm not a grammar-spelling-Nazi, but I do get irritated at posters who can't take advice that they ask for with respect, or posters too arrogant to take honest criticism without throwing a hissy fit.

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

Your wording is so delicate and compassionate, ubercollegeman. I'm sure she is full of self confidence now.

Your wording is so delicate and compassionate, ubercollegeman. I'm sure she is full of self confidence now.

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

UCLA: Slight Reach
UCB: Slight Reach
UCSD: Match
UCD: Safe Match
UCI: Safe Match

Columbia: Reach
Brown: Reach
Northwestern: Reach
Washington University in St. Louis: Slight Reach
NYU: Slight Reach
USC: Slight Reach

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:08 am: Edit

I don't see how anybody here is qualified to pass judgement on how well Melissa writes. You cannot do so simply by looking at her test scores or at how well she is writing on this forum. Some people test poorly and most of us don't bother to punctuate or capitalize on this board.

Melissa, you have strong credentials, but you are aiming high. And there is nothing wrong with that. Why leave the state of California, which has awesome state schools, and go out of state and pay more money if not to an elite university? Most of the out of state schools you are applying to are reaches, not just to you, but to most applicants. NYU is a match, but otherwise, the rest of the schools you are applying to out of state are reaches. In state, I would say that you are pretty much sure to get into at least one of the UCs.

I would advise you to look at a couple of other out of state schools. But first, tell me what you would like to major in.

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:33 am: Edit

I definitely agree with Alexandre (and I have to say I agree with Alexandre on many things on the board). The internet is a less formal environment, and some people don't bother to punctuate or spell correctly. I don't really hold it against anyone. Also, people are not in a position to judge writing by looking at test scores or writing here.

That being said, it's hard to judge recomendations and essays without actually producing them. It's really difficult to tell how the recommendations will be or how the essays will be received.

To judge the schools, I would need to know class rank or an unweighted GPA. I would also try to raise your SAT score for a lot of the schools you mention.

JW

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:57 am: Edit

I think melissamelissa's got a good shot at all the UCs, except of course, the notoriously unpredictable UCLA and competitive UCB.

As to her writing capability, I think ubercollegeman made a good point. If you read his post fairly and carefully, you'll see that his main point was that too many people say they're 'outstanding', when really they might need a dose of reality... I'm sure uber meant it in the poster's best interest.

I'm not sure if I'm being criticized too, but just in case - my own emphasis was on people who ask for help with this whole admissions game, and can't take some brutal honesty. I've talked to many people online who have far worse English without even the slightest irritation. My problem was that I didn't like the way melissa replied to a valid point much at all. Please at least note this, if there's still going to be offence at what I say.

I agree that when people write online, they get casual about their language. I do too - I like to type in all lowercase a lot of the time (as I mentioned already), and I like some abbreviations like 'tho' , and 'cuz'. Neither do I proofread or pore over rough spots in my sentences. Therefore, I'm quite happy to agree that you can't judge a person's writing capability by an online forum...but people need to know that if one does choose to write with sloppy grammar/syntax/idiom, then they create an image of themselves. Melissa, who insists repeatedly upon her outsanding writing capabilities, is being kindly reminded of this here, where nobody knows her anyway...and some criticism could be healthy.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:24 am: Edit

Well, the purpose of my posts was not to explicitly attack melissa but all similar posts of this nature. Melissa just happened to be an example of a much larger group.

Let me elaborate. These people are those who post on the "What Are My Chances?" forum with relatively weaker stats. Sure, her stats are far above average, but in the context of CC members, she's fairly average or worse.

What I always see these posters do is "make up" for their academic shortcomings by stating something not provable or objective, meaning "great essays and recs." I've posted this more than once, but let me summarize again.

a) These people will probably receive mediocre recs because they are NOT the best students in the class. Colleges are somewhat interested in how funny or kind you are, but not nearly as much as how well you academically perform. Look at the common application's teacher rec forms, and you'll see that it's no coincidence the majority of the form asks about classroom-related ability.

b) These people are terrible writers. I've read essays from "very good" writers, and they were almost always dull and passive or overly weird. The problem is that most people are completely not used to this form of narrative, descriptive writing. Classrooms teach more about analysis of literature than writing literature itself, and it's evident in these essays. I personally believe I have a "leg-up" in this department because I write these kinds of essays all the time as a side-hobby.

If you want a sample of good writing, read some essays in magazines like the New Yorker or Atlantic Monthly. They are shining examples of what a college essay should read like.

Anyway, back to the point. I guess I could summarize the argument in one sentence: People with sub-par stats write sub-par essays. It's a crass generalization, but unfortunately for the applicants, it's almost always true.

So, why the rant? Unless a CRITICAL person (like me, not your best friend or your family members) tells you that he likes your essay, don't expect you'll write an outstanding essay. Evaluate your stats in this context. That means if you thought your essay might be your ticket into a super-reach school, think twice, because it probably isn't.

As numerous posted essays on the CC board show, the majority of applicants (even high-stat HYPMS applicants) are absolutely horrible at writing. I'm not basing my generalization on just the CC essays either. Many "great writers" often ask me to proofread their stuff at school, and it's almost never good.

By Ratix (Ratix) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Ouch. You bite.

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

you no uber i cant say i half disagree with you
but i would have to add that i am not one of those people and i know myself and what other people, professional writers, say about my writing is true. its good stuff! I know my essay will be one of those that stand out in the bunch. If you dont credit me, well, what can I say? i really dont care...you havent read any of my work nor do you know the type of person i am!

i am sorry you are stuck on my online grammer. and thats all i see worth saying to you about that...

u know, i was simply asking for a idea of what schools i would get into based on what i expected my application to look like. i was not asking you to question my stats...because this is an online post and i dont think barely anybody knows anybody enough to do that.

as for the people who have the time to read and pick out how many errors or typos i have...well, that says something to me about who u r!

i am sorry u felt the need to question my stats and the value i give my work, even though u dont know me at all. i just wanted a nice comment about what i should expect!

alexandra- i am, as of now, planning to be a geneticist. so..my major would be either biology or genetics. my dream school is UCLA and I would choose UCLA over every other school. If that doesnt happen, im hoping for UCB and if not that, UCSD. I am still researching which schools r good w/ genetics...

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Drop USC and add Wisconsin-Madison and Johns Hopkins. They are awesome in Biology. Of course, UCLA, UCB, UCSD and UCD all have excellent Biology or Genetics departments. And by the way, my name is Alexandre...I am male! LOL

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

oh im sorry! alexandre...
this is one typo that i actually care about right now...

thank you so much for your advice, ill be sure to note that.

Jon-
my UW GPA is 4.0 and my class ranks is +/- 22/710
my school is really good school..if that makes a difference

thanks again

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I'm going to UCI next year. Gunna be in the campuswide honors program and I got a chancellors scholarship. my stats:

660 710 750
4.11 UC GPA
6 APs in HS, 2 junior year: span-3 ushist-4
Decent ECs but nothing outstanding.
honors: 4 golden state exam high honors. thats about it lol. a few other little things.

got into berkeley for spring semester. rejected at UCLA, in for winter quarter at UCSD.

So that's my story...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page