Chances at ivies and other schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances at ivies and other schools
By Blueiris3333 (Blueiris3333) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

GPA: 4.37 weighted
ACT: 33
AP's:
Art History- 4
US History- 5
Biology- 5
English Language- 5
Psychology- 5

I will be taking AP government, AP Spanish, AP Calculus and AP Eng. Lit next year

SAT II's:
Biology- 780
Writing- 710
Math IC- 730

Class Rank:
Not exactly sure but somewhere in top 2-4% of 370 some students.

My EC's are pretty weak:

Editor of school literary magazine soph year
Art club soph year
Two community service clubs soph year
Photography club soph year
Sculpture club also soph year (too much art?)
Volunteering for Autism society several times Jr. year
I will join another volunteer group senior year.

I transfered to a new school jr. year which barely offers any EC's... I guess that's not an excuse but...

Any chances at all at the following schools?

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Northwestern
Washington University in St. Louis
Wesleyan
Richmond
Vassar
Vanderbilt
Emory
NYU
Duke
Grinnel
Columbia

Any other ideas?
I'm planning to major in psychology

By Blueiris3333 (Blueiris3333) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

heeelp?

By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

You are a strong academic BWRK - bright well rounded kid. But, unfortunately, this doesn't cut it for the Ivies. Your APs are great and it looks like you've challenged yourself academically. BUT (there's always a but) when you are applying HYP, everyone has good grades and good SAT scores. So, they look to ECs to differentiate, which is definitely not good for you. I would make ECs a major priority for senior year and the rest of your summer. Found a club, volunteer a lot, something that will look good.

I'm only going to predict RD for the schools I'm familiar with... scale of 10
Harvard: 3
Yale: 3
Stanford: 3
Vanderbilt: 8.5
Emory: 8
Duke: 5

By Akarory (Akarory) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

I think, you have a great shot with ACADEMICS. You seem very bright, and challenging. The only problem is the EC's. Most were done in sophmore year too, which dosen't help. They are great to list, but try to find 3 other things to do this summer and senior year to add. Do something diffrents: Student Council, Debate, I know you said your school dosen't have many things, so maybe look into other local schools to just join a few of there sports or clubs...hope I helped!

By Blueiris3333 (Blueiris3333) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Thanks, I definitely need to join something next year and find somewhere to volunteer.

Are there any good safeties that I should add to my list? I'm worried that every school I'm going to apply to is slightly out of my reach.

By Blueiris3333 (Blueiris3333) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

bump

By Crow14 (Crow14) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 07:01 am: Edit

what are your SAT1 scores?

i'd say you have a pretty good chance at some of the schools on your list. as for the ivies...well, you know, no one can be 100% sure of anything.

By Blueiris3333 (Blueiris3333) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

I didn't take the SAT I. I took the ACT instead. I don't think I'd do better on it then on my ACT, so should I still take it?

By Blueiris3333 (Blueiris3333) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Anyoneee?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

I would recommend that you take it if it's all the same to you; that is, if you don't have any significant specific concerns about taking it. I'm pretty sure that most of the schools on your list with the exception of Grinnel and possibly Vanderbilt strongly prefer the SAT1 to the ACT. So you should do your best to accomodate them as much as possible and furnish them with the test they find most useful. They recommend the SAT because they must believe that it is the most helpful standardized test in determining the aptitude (or whatever) of the applicant, so if you don't comply you will automatically be at a disadvantage because you will not be giving them everything they ask for to fairly judge you. That's my opinion

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I'm sorry, but those EC's are going to hurt you...I wouldn't expect anything from the ivies, but it's worth applying to them anyway--you've got the academics, and you might just get lucky. I agree with Qwert though, take the SAT unless you have reason to think you won't do well on it.

By Blueiris3333 (Blueiris3333) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

I actually have a pretty good reason for not having any EC's jr. year (having to do with the health of one of my family members)... does this change anything at all? What if I include it in my essay?

Also what about those other schools.. I keep hearing different opinions. Northwestern, Wash U., Duke, Wesleyan? any chances there?

By Par72 (Par72) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Might look at Duke, or some good LAC's like Colgate, Holy Cross or Davidson.

By Blueiris3333 (Blueiris3333) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

bump

By Blueiris3333 (Blueiris3333) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

bummmp

By Eagleswat (Eagleswat) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Ta`amini li yalda at yehola lehitkabel le kol College she tirchi ;)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page