Chances at duke for african american

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances at duke for african american
By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

MY STATS....

AM AN AFRICAN AMERICAN AT A PRETTY GOOD SCHOOL

RANK 74 OUT OF 369 STUDENTS
MY GPA IS 3.38 UW 3.75 W

I HAVE SCORED 1210 ON THE SAT'S AND GOT A 24 ON THE ACT'S.

I HAVE NOT TAKEN THE SATII.
MY ECS ARE AS FOLLOWS

BASEBALL( 9TH AND JV)
PEER TUTORING (10/11/12)
BETA CLUB(10/11/12)
FBLA(11/12)
KEY CLUB(11/12)
I AM ON A MULTICULTURAL STEERING COMMITTEE AND REPRESENT MY ENTIRE SCHOOL(11/12)
HELPED TUTOR KIDS IN THE AFTERNOON AT A WELL KNOWN TUTORING PROGRAM. (12)
WAS RECOMMENDED TO ATTEND THE UFL MINORITY SCHOLAR PROGRAM
WAS ASKED TO CONNECT WITH TECH

I AM ALSO HOPPING TO BE IN NHS NEXT YEAR

I AM AN UPCOMING SENIOR

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU GUYS CAN TELL ME WHERE I STAND. could i have any chance at duke. if not tell me where i stand. please give me a list of "good" colleges where i can get the "best" education for my money, which is not much of a problem.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Definetly apply to duke. You got a great chance.

By Zetsui (Zetsui) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Duke3d4 you have got to be kidding me 3.38 GPA and Duke!? Duke is smacked up with harvard and princeton bro, I hope that is some kind of sick joke.

Your GPA is LOW
Your SAT IS LOW I reccomend AT LEAST a 1250
Your ECs are a little spread out, they're suppose to how your interest and commitment none of which I see
Even AA won't help you ma, If you live in NC Try out for U of NC NOT CHAPEL HILL though. I would also reccomend Rutgers New Brunswick in New Jersey and NYIT. IF you want you can also try out for Georgia Tech but I'm telling you get a 1250 and pull that GPA up to a 3.6 if you are even thinking about applying

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

I'm afraid Zetsui is probably right. Duke is a reach. In addition to Rutgers, if you are looking for engineering/technology fields you should check out RIT, Stevens Tech, Florida Tech, and Virgina Tech. Those are a little more lenient with the SATs.

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

i know this is supposed to be a non confrontational site, but zetsui kid or whatever, look at my ec's. yes it is true that they are very common, but they are all centered around my interest. i like to help different types of people in different situations. i am also pleased to acknowledge diversity and help the diversity issues within my school in county. that is what we do in our multicultural steering committe, fbla, part of beta club, and especially key club.

By Jf215 (Jf215) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

SRY, but i think you need AT LEAST a 1250 on your SAT & a higher GPA to really have a chance.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:22 am: Edit

you are placing weigh too much weight on your URM status... it is really the only thing you have going for you... and it is hardly enough to get you into Duke... not by a long shot

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

do you guys think i can get into ga tech. by the way, at the end of my senior year, i would have already had 9 honors classes and 3 aps. i am in the state of georgia. in atlanta

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:25 am: Edit

I'd laugh (with disdain) if you didn't get in to GT. They pride themselves on turning out the most African American engineers of any school in the nation. That and you're in-state. They HAVE to meet a quota on the in-state kids anyway.

By Zetsui (Zetsui) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:28 am: Edit

hence i reccomended GA tech and i didn't even notice your name poster

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:39 am: Edit

I think that you should study hard and try to improve your SAT score. Also study for the SAT IIs.

What AP or similar courses have you taken in high school?

I am assuming you are planning on being an engineer or in the sciences as a career. What math/science courses have you taken, and what were your grades like?

What is the UFL minority scholars program? Did you attend? If so, what did you do there?

Your ECs are ok, but not remarkable. From what you have posted, I don't see anything special. Were you president or VP of any organization? Did you chair a committee or start a program that made a big difference? For instance, what was your impact on that multicultural committee? If you basically just showed up, that's not impressive. If you did major work on putting on a multicultural activity, for instance, that would be impressive.

What's your family background? If your parents are college professors, the colleges would expect more of you than you are demonstrating thus far. If your parents didn't attend college or are just community college grads, then you may stand out a great deal in the pool because you would have overcome the disadvantages of your environment.

Duke is a reach, possible, but still a reach. I am not sure about Georgia Tech. If what another poster said about admissions is true, then you might get in. However, I would suggest that you find out the retention rate for students with academic backgrounds similar to yours. If your math/science background is not very strong and your math SAT and SAT II are not equivalent to most Tech students, it would be very hard for you to avoid flunking out.

From what I have read, academics are very rigorous there, and since it's a tech, if you run into problems keeping up with math and science, it would be hard to switch to a major not based on those fields.

I suggest that you also look at schools like U Ga., the HBCUs (FAMU, Howard, Morehouse probably would give you big bucks), UF, FSU and Tulane.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

You guys are insane man. This guy can definetly get into Duke. I mean he is Black. You can't reject black people from Duke.

Also, I know lots of people who get into Duke with like 2.5's and 1000's because they are URM and they play lots of sports.

You should definetly not let your scores stop you from applying to Duke. In fact I think your chances at Duke are so great that you should apply to ONLY 1 college. Duke.

By Zetsui (Zetsui) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

duke3d4 is right i know a 900 and a 2.5 who got recruited from my town no joke

By Mysticwistful (Mysticwistful) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Duke certainly is not at the level of HYPS. Gatechboy is a shoe-in at Duke, though he might have trouble getting into Stanford or Yale.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Its amazing how little some of you know about college admissions...

recruited athletes and normal applicants are a totally different story....the OP is the latter..

duke sat range is 1320-1510
average uw gpa is 3.85

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Duke3d4'S being sarcastic..

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

DUKE KID, ARE YOU REALLY BEING SARCASTIC, BECAUSE IF YOU ARE, YOU ARE NOT REALLY HELPING ME. BY THE WAY, WITH THAT MULTICULTURAL COMMITEE, WE MEET 5 TIMES A YEAR AND DO ORGANIZE MULTICULTURAL FAIRS ANDN OTHER ACTIVITIES IN ORDER TO DEAL WITH DIVERSITY ISSUES. THE AP CLASES I AM TAKING AND HAVE TAKEN ARE AP PHYSICS, AP GOVERNMENT, AP WORLD HISTORY, AND AP CALCULUS/ STATISTICS. I TOOK HONORS ALGEBRA II AND HONOORS CHEMISTRY AND HONORS BIOLOGY. SO I THINK I HAVE TAKEN ENOUGH HONORS CLASSES. DONT YOU.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Gatechboy,
Please stop using all caps. It is considered yelling in cyberspace.

How did you do on your APs, particularly your science and math ones? Have you taken any SAT IIs yet? If so, what were your scores? Your SAT score seems low for someone who appears to be planning on an engineering career and wants to go to a top engineering program. If you have very high SAT II scores in math and science, though, that would indicate that your SAT I does not accurately reflect your ability. It also would be a good indication that if you retake the SAT I, your score probably will improve a great deal.

Colleges tend to view SAT IIs as more predictive of students' performance in college than one can predict by the SAT I.

As for the multicultural committee -- what leadership roles did you have? Were you head of the committee or did you have major responsibilities? If you did something such as headed a subcommittee that raised the funds for the events, then include that information on your application.

Just being on a committee, even a select one, isn't that meaningful when it comes to the top level colleges, though such ECs are meaningful for other colleges.

I also suggest that if you think that someone is being sarcastic or mean, the best thing to do here is to ignore them.

As for your comments about your number of AP classes: the answer depends upon how many your school offers. Depending on the school, some students take as many as 12 or even more AP or IB classes. If your school offers a dozen AP classes and you took 4, that may not be that impressive to the top colleges. If your schoo only offers 4 courses and you took them all, that would be impressive.

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

i made a 3 on my world history exam. i am currently taking all the others. by the way, just because i did not make the score perfectly does not mean i will not do well in even top colleges. you know how many times i have been looked down upon by smart asses and proved them wrong. i think what it boils down to, and many individuals do not think about this, is how much character you have. i mean i may not have the top scores or the highest gpa, but you know what, i busted my ass to get what i got. all my teachers know that, and some might even let admissions know this fact. in fact, my ap stat teacher and ap physics teacher attend tech, and think very highly of me. i am not trying to paint a picture as being a supersmart guy, yeah i get my grades, but what i am trying to say is that sat scores dont prove nothing. i was damn glad to get a 1210. is that the highest i think i can get, no, but i will try for higher.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

No need to get all defensive...

Personally I think that your SATs need to improve a bit as does your GPA. Your ECs are plain and nothing really stands out. There is nothing special in your application, as I see it now. You probably have a decent shot at Tech if what was said above is correct and duke is a definite reach. If you really want to study engineering there are many smaller engineering schools, many in the Northeast/MidAtlantic, that are very good. Schools like Stevens Tech, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute , Rutgers (although it's larger), Drexel Univ., Manhattan College, Mercer (not NE or MidAt but in Georgia), UMass-Amherst, Univ. of Pittsburgh, Northeastern, and Rochester Inst. of Tech.

I'd suggest checking out some of these schools. You have a decent shot at most of these (some might be slight reaches) but I think that you overall your chances at schools like these are pretty good. Good Luck!

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

i am an instate student.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

How far did your parents go in school, and what kind of jobs do they have? If your parents are not that educated, than that could be a tip factor for you. If your parents are highly educated, then your achievements would not be remarkable.

I also suggest that if you want to get feedback, then stop being so defensive. If anyone seems to be trying to be annoying, then simply ignore them.

Are you in a public or private school and can you describe some of the factors that cause you to view the school as "pretty good"? Does it have a large number of National Merit Scholars or college-bound students? Does it have selective admissions?

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

both my parents went to college. my mom went to georgia state univesity. my dad went to west virginia state. i would say my school is p retty good. however, our average sat score is 979. i go to a public school. both my parents work for the coca cola company.

By Cadettony (Cadettony) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Have you considered West Point?
First engineering school in the country, free tuition, and a guaranteed job with management experience after graduation. And discrimination is not allowed. Just my two cents.

May not be your thing if you dislike curfews.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

You need to work on your SAT's or you will not get in to Duke.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

If you want to be a normal college student, don't go to West Point. Quite a few restrictions are placed on those students, but it is a very intensive school if you have the focus. Time to make a point here.

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

Discount the power URM carries. Just because YOU think he's not qualified for the schools he's looking at doesn't mean the COLLEGE doesn't have any more room for diversity. He's in. He has a year to improve.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

MONO

By Julibean008 (Julibean008) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Hey, I will be attending Duke this year. I'm white. I was waitlisted with a 95.4 (out of 100... we don't do the 4.0 scale) GPA, unweighted because we don't weigh at my school, and a 1430 SAT. I took 7 AP classes by the end of high school. I am from an area where not many people apply to Duke. My ECs were focused, I had leadership roles, I won awards. I did graduate level science research in my free time. I took college classes. I wrote good essays that I worked on for at least 3 months. I was the captain of a new england champion sports team.

Now this whole post wasn't for nothing... I'm trying to make the point that it is hard to get into duke. I didn't get in with all the above qualifications. Now I know URM status helps a lot, but does it really help THAT much? Would GaTechBoy get in over a person with my qualfications just because he's black? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against affirmative action and I support Duke's efforts to increase diversity, but is minority status really equal to 200 SAT points, that difference in GPA, EC's, etc?

However, GaTechBoy, I know what it's like to work hard for grades and not just be born some genius... and I know schools appreciate this. Perhaps if you highlighted that on your application, along with all the work you do with your ECs, and if you brought up your SATs just a smidge... I think you have a shot at least. In any case, definitely apply. "You can't get in anywhere that you don't apply" was one of my favorite sayings last year... I applied to 9 schools!

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Julibean. What were your grades in the AP's. I signed up for 7 AP's and I would like to get straight A's.

By Jadex (Jadex) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

I think you stand a decent chance for Duke. If you can take the SAT again, study hard and do it. Make sure, when you apply, that you elaborate on what you've done and what it means to you. Applying for college is like advertising. You have to show the admissions committee why you think you'd make a good student at their school - or at least a better student than others.

It's true you don't *have* to be the extreme top to get into a good college. If you go to an extremely academically competetive school, where people will do almost *anything* for that 4.0, you still make top 25% (which you did, btw, good job), you bust your butt for what you've accomplished and it shows, and you're passionate about what you want to do, then you stand a decent chance.

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

thanks julibean for giving constuctive critism without being rude. i agree with what you just posted. urm does not make up for 200 points. however, my stats are lower than yours, i still have confidence that i can get into any school i want to, within reanson(if you know what i mean). good luck in getting in. i hope you get it.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

I personally don't like Duke.

By Hardworking3 (Hardworking3) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

GATECH. YOU REALLY DONT DO ANYTHING IN SCHOOL. THOSE ECS ARE WEAK. And your just doing them to get into college. I can even see that. Theres no solid basis of why you do those activities. I could see if you were personally a real interesting student. But your quite average. I think your GPA and SAT course is cool. But your ECS are weak. U really dont have a personality in them.

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

what do you mean. i have been in beta club since the 9th grade. i tutor kids after school for my schoola nd for a non profit organization since 10th grade. i am on a multicultural diversity committee that is in the planning stages of helping our county, which is the 3rd fastest growing in the nation, to deal with diversity issues. obviously, there is a direct link to all the activities that i am doing. the simple fact is, i enjoy helping others with academics and i enjoy helping deal with issues that arise in our school. just because i did not do an independent study, or join all those other ridiculous ec's does not mean i am involved. i support my school at football games and basketball games by making banners and attending. i am well rounded. i accept you alls critisim, but saying that i did not really do anything in school makes me feel that my hours of helping individuals pass thier exams and dealing with diversity issues and attending every single beta club and key club meeting, and going to the food pantry 3 times a year and helping my school gain funding for its business program by doing a presentation to the school board was for nothing!!

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

I think you have too many. It's going to look like your just trying to have them just to have them.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

I think that it's an overstatement to say that his ECs are "weak." They would make him stand out at most colleges in the country. However, when it comes to Duke, which is ranked as being among the top 5 colleges in the country and, consequently, is one of the toughest to be admitted to, his ECs will not stand out unless he has done things with them that he has not described on this thread.

When it comes to a university like Duke, even being president of a class is not extraordinary. Some of their applicants are presidents of national organizations. As volunteers, they may have accomplished major fundraising, started volunteer organizations, etc.

I would not discourage him from applying, but I do encourage him to see Duke as a longshot and to pin his hopes on a college where he has a more reasonable chance. That way, whether or not he gets a thick envelope from Duke, he'll still be happy come April.

I suggest, too, that he look at Duke's web pages and examine the profile for the class that was recently admitted.

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

thanks northstarmom. in your opinion, what schools do you think i have a reasonalble shot at. would ga tech be reasonable. that is my first shot.

would you think that encouraging my boss to start an employee of the month would be something spectacular to put on my application.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Dude don't listen. I'm serious when I say you can definetly go to Duke. You take SO MANY hard classes so that makes up for your GPA.
People with 4.0's aren't good if they don't take hard classes. Your SAT score doesn't even matter cuz you are black. That part will be fine.

Lastly, you are an URM that plays SPORTS! There you go, all your bad points are nullified and thus you will go to duke based on sports and URM status.

I think GA tech would be a good match for you, maybe even a safety. I know so many bad students who are black and get into colleges just cuz they play sports.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

You don't want to go to college for sports. Raise your SAT's so that if you don't get in go can go somewhere else. Your SAT score does matter.

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

well to clear one thing up duke kid, i played baseball for one year and a summer. i tried out for baseball and basketball since then, but never made it. i always got cut the last cuts becuase a situation where i school likes brown nosing.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

A lot of but not all of sport players get passed in uni not knowing anything and unless you want to play sports that's no good. On the news years ago there was a basketball player who graduated from some college without being able to read. Raise your SAT's. But, like i've said before, I personally don't think Duke is that great. Not worth the price.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Gatechboy: You should seriously look at the schools that I posted for you above. They are all great highly ranked school in engineering. I know that you stand a decent to great chance at all the ones I mentioned. Research them, see which ones you like, etc. and then try to make a good list of schools with safeties (possible your state school), matches, and reaches (duke, etc.)

Hey good luck and really go look at those schools!!!!!!!!

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

I think you have a good chance of getting into University of Florida and Florida State, probably with good merit aid, and into University of Georgia.

One thing that it would be important for you to talk over with your parents would be how much they are willing to pay each year for your education. I know that Georgia has HOPE scholarships, and depending on how your parents feel about college finances, the HOPE scholarships may be a good reason for you to have to confine your college search in state.

I understand that Morehouse has a special relationship with Georgia Tech, and top students at Morehouse can get degrees from both Morehouse and Georgia Tech. The students spend, I think, 2 years at Morehouse, then finish at Georgia Tech. They also get major merit aid. This would be something for you to see if you qualify for.

Since you are interested in Duke, presumably, you like North Carolina, so I also suggest that you consider UNC (though that, too, is tough to get into, especially for out of state), North Carolina State, Davidson and Wake Forest. I don't know about whether Davidson and Wake Forest have engineering, but I do know that they are good schools, want to diversify, and can give nice aid.

Other schools to take a look at are Tulane and Emory.

Florida A&M has a joint engineering program with Florida State, and that includes a relationship with the National High Magnetic Lab. FAMU also has wonderful merit aid for students like you, something for you also to look into.

By Pjben06 (Pjben06) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

im sorry my friend but Duke is a no go for you. try UNC- Charlotte.

By Julibean008 (Julibean008) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

I second Tulane! You have a nice shot and it's a fun school. I would try searching for some safeties too... just in case.

Chicken: My school doesn't give letter grades. I got anywhere from 93 to 98's in my AP classes, except in AP Calc... I got 87-90 range (I forget exactly what the final grade was)

By Intheory (Intheory) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

my thoughts...you are riding too much on your URM status. It's the first thing (besides Duke) that i see in the title...it's the first thing mentioned in your stats. This isn't meant to criticize, just to warn- Most people already have in their heads that URM students, especially AAs, get into college with lower scores and grades than Whites or Asians and resent them (URMs) for it- you need to realize that your scores, grades, and ECs are all below average to be secure at Duke- if you didn't have URM status, it would be an extreme, bordering on non-realiztic, reach for you. Therefore, you need to think about what would make you special and strong besides the fact that you're a minority

So, since you do have a powerful URM card to play, in order to stand a chance at Duke, you need to focus on things you've done, avoid catch phrases like "diversity", and prove to them that you have something to offer aside from your skin color and the very vauge mission of "helping different types of people in different situations"

so in summary- make sure in the essay you don't lean on minority status, do well on SATIIs, and take the SAT (or the ACT) again

and encouraging your boss to start an Employee of the Month program? not spectacular, not even close...sounds self-serving to me

also, i agree that Tulane might be a good place for you...FSU and Florida state as well

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page