Ease help me with my chances at these schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Ease help me with my chances at these schools
By Pokerjet (Pokerjet) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Well lets get the stats out fo the way first:

white male from New York
SAT:740 math 660 verbal
SAT2: 620 writing 650 math 2c 700 physics 740 bio
GPA: 96 unweighted
APs: 4-US History 3-Eng lang
Rank: school doesnt give but definitely top 10% 5 aps next year: Eng lit, german, physics/chem (not sure which since my schedule is screwed up), calc bc, euro

ECs:
-Marching Band 4 years student director this year
-Varsity track winter and spring 2 years
-Jazz Band 2 years
-Key Club 4 years officer this year
-german honor society 3 years
-tri-m music honor society 2 years executive board member this year
-NHS
-8 years of german class outside of school

Schools so far
Cornell
RPI
Villanova
AIr FOrce
Binghamton
Bucknell
Boston College

I'm leaning toward engineering as my major but im not 100% sure so i want to apply to both a few engineering schools and a few schools as undecided in arts and sciences. Cornell is the school I really want to go to if i decide to do engineering. Also should i retake the SAT or and SAT 2s? THanks for any help im open to any suggestions for adding colleges and/or which ones I will be able to get into.
Thanks everyone

By Pokerjet (Pokerjet) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Sorry on the typo it should be please.

By Pokerjet (Pokerjet) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

so what does it take to get a reply around here?

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

well, cornell is good, because we have 7 colleges, so if you ever decided you didn't like engineering, you have so many options (it's easy to transfer schools inside once you get in)

your scores are not bad, not super, but not bad, I would suggest you retaking the writing if you feel you can raise it, and the math too if you want to be competitive for the engineering school. the good thing? 1/3 applicants to engineering school gets in (its lower overall because of the other colleges)

hm...i don't know about your EC's, they are pretty generic, but at least they show a dedication.

I think you have a good chance at cornell if you raise that writing and math 2c score. i think you will get into some of those on your list. applying to college is such a crapshoot, but good luck.

By Pokerjet (Pokerjet) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

alright thanks im already signed up to retake the math2c and writing. Math I can definitely do better on, I think I was just burned out by my third SAT2 when I took 3 in a row. Writing will be a little tougher but I will try. Do you thiunk my verbal score on the SAT is high enough or should I retake that?

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

thats a so-so verbal, don't retake it unless you can get 700+, no point, i know lots of ppl with lower verbal and lower SAT I scores. I think to raise your writing score, concentrate on the essay, I raised my score 150 by going from getting a 7 on the essays to a 12 (perfect), and I actually went down on the multiple choice.

make sure you get really good recs, and write a decent personal essay, and the chances will significantly be raised.

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

you might want to take both chem and physics because that is a requirement (unless you've already taken one)

http://dpb.cornell.edu/irp/

here is the admission/enrollment trends. click factbook and admission.

http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/admissions/applying/freshman/requirements.cfm

is the link to the requirements of engineering schools.

By Pokerjet (Pokerjet) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

i'm not sure if you mean take both ap chem and ap physics but I have taken physics and chem regualr honors courses. I can't take both ap chem and ap physics because there is no room in my schedule. And for the recs do I want to get two academic teachers or will 1 academic and my band teacher be alright? If my family is really good friends with an alumnus does that help at all because he did mention he would write something or do something if it could help but he wasn't sure either

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

If you must choose btw the two take physics. Colleges look at this class with high regard and it will be useful in engineering.

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

well then, chicken is right, take ap physics if you've already fulfilled the requirements. a band teacher's rec would be different than the avg applicant, but only if s/he would be writing a really good letter, otherwise, 2 academic might be better (safer). an extra letter from an alumus never hurts, especially if he went to the school of engineering.

By Pokerjet (Pokerjet) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

alright thanks for your help

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page