So I can't add 1+1, can I still get into these LACs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: So I can't add 1+1, can I still get into these LACs?
By Vandermeyde (Vandermeyde) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Hello. I'm an Asian Male and in California. I'm wondering if I still have a chance, even though recently my grades have basically indicated that I can barely comprehend numbers and other nonsense like that.

Unweighted GPA - 2.9, weighted - 3.16
Rank - 290/580 in class unweighted, around 180/580 weighted.
SAT1 - first try - 1390, 690V 700M, second try, 1420, 750V 670M

My GPA was killed by 2 Ds in Trig and 1 D in Physics and 1 D in Chemistry. I've never gotten anything higher than a B- in math and the only reason I got a B+ in biology is because the teacher lost our final and we all got Bs. Otherwise it's mostly As and Bs in non-math-and-science classes. I have around 100 hours of EC with tutoring and nursing homes, and I'm VP of the French Club this year. My petition to start clubs with more political awareness were denied multiple times. I'm also in a very good Model UN Program that almost swept gavels at Berkeley in April. I've also signed up with the Libertarian Party for the Badnarik for President and Gray for US Senate campaigns as a volunteer. I've had a few brush-ups with the school administration for writing articles about school fallacies and whatnot, but I don't think they're on my record.

My parents also had a nasty divorce starting the last few weeks of Sophomore year and still isn't fully resolved today, with all kinds of wacky shenanigans going on in between. I've been recently diagnosed with ADD and Asperger's Syndrome, but since my dad's kind of a Christian Scientist he's not allowing me treatment as of now.

I'm decently adept at English and History, although I haven't had much time to do much else than just random (NOT LIVEJOURNAL OMG EMO) poems and short stories that I pass around. English is actually my third language. I'm taking English 100 at the local JC and getting an A, with class ending next week. I'll be able to take 103 when school starts in the fall.

I'm looking at attending Bennington College, Sarah Lawrence, or Bard. I'm also applying for Pitzer although I'm not too keen on staying around in SoCal. My math grades will be a black hole on my transcript no doubt. If you can tell me my chances at these schools and perhaps suggest some more that fits for me it'd be highly appreciated. Thanks.

By Meganc123 (Meganc123) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

If you don't even have a 3.0, I don't think you have any sort of a chance at Pitzer. Even without the D's, you'd still have like a 3.2 or something and that's still low.

By Intheory (Intheory) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Sarah Lawrence and Bard are probably reaches for you because of that GPA...Bennington (which doesn't give grades itself) might be more forgiving about that- demonstrate strong writing skills and you might get in there

you might also want to look at Goddard College or Hampshire College (both, like Bennington, don't give number grades) and both have the same leanings towards non-traditional focus that you'll find at Sarah Lawrence and Bard

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Is there anytime for you to retake those classes that you received D's in? Like maybe you can take them online...or something to make you GPA look better. Because your SAT score is great(have u taken the sat 2's yet?), but your GPA is the only problem. Well if you ever have a chance to retake it, then i think your chances will really increase. Well idk much about lacs so all i can say is Good Luck..and hopefully you might have time to retake.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

u aren't too clear on what grade u r in...

If u just completed sophemore year, then u will still have time to raise ur gpa.

By Vandermeyde (Vandermeyde) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

Caliplaya03 - Sorry, I don't think that's possible, since my school's getting pummelled by budget cuts and we've already consolidated the classes. My state-mandatory health class was 54 students last year. The local JC's also filling up and many classes are reduced or cancelled alltogether due to the same budget cuts. I'm on the waiting list for my English 103 even though I signed up the first day they opened registration :(

I haven't taken SAT2s yet but I'm registered for October.

Aliasmatrix - I'm going into senior year, so I'm basically done.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming :)

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:43 am: Edit

also, maybe Guilford College in NC.

Sarah Lawrence and Bard will def. be reaches cause of your gpa/Ds, although they have been known to take chances on applicants if they believe in their potential and will continue to do so.

By Hookin3beatv5 (Hookin3beatv5) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

i love how when you ask, they say dont worry you still have a chance, but when i ask they say "its ok, got to a community college." eh oh well.

personally, and i mean completely personally because i know most colleges dont think like this, grades really shouldnt matter that much. especially if you have a good attitude and stuff ya know? cuz i'm in the same position as you- low gpa (though mine's a smidge higher than yours) and high test scores (they're about the same, but i live in illinois so my act was my big focus). if you find out any more about colleges that look more at scores and personality and essays and whatnot than grades, let me know okay!?

good luck!!! i feel your pain!!!

plus you have an edge- there is plenty of research backing up the fact that tons of kids with add, and asperger's, are PLENTY smart, smarter than most even, they just dont produce like "everyone else". going to a small liberal arts school, come to think of it, should be perfect for you! lots of personal attention at a not-so-conservative (haha, liberal if you will) institution!

anyway, good luck again! :)

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

Well you have good SAT scores. If your schools offers online courses you could take some 1 semester AP courses to raise your GPA and rank. Does your school have a grade forgiveness policy.

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

where can we apply to take courses online? thanks

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

It costs money if not in your state. in florida (any person from any state can apply. they just need to pay about $500) you can try www.flvs.net In broward country www.bved.net. Ask your school if they have any that they will pay for.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

GUYS!!! SHUT UP ABOUT THE GPA RAISING! HE CAN'T RAISE IT OKAY?!1

Now... do you have a rising trend? I'm guessing NO since you haven't mentioned it and its a pretty important thing.

GPA is the most important thing. I would consider checking out your school's records on admissions last year. Check some of the schools the lower gpa people got into.

I don't think you'll get into the schools that you listed, maybe aim a bit lower and write great essays.

By Vandermeyde (Vandermeyde) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:27 am: Edit

Well, I have a rising trend in half of my classes (Cs and Bs in Frosh to Bs and As in Junior) and a downward spiral, as mentioned, in math and science (Cs and Bs to Ds and Ds). And as far as I know California is in the crapper as finances are concerned so anything like online courses that require any sort of subsidy is pretty much gone, and even our regular classes received a massive cut, so one of the APs I was about to take is no longer offered (AP French, in this case). Summer school is only remedial courses in stuff like English which I have no problems with. Grade forgiveness? Nope, not as far as I know, although I'll talk to my counselor after school starts, although I'll be getting a new one since the last counselor I had hopped schools.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I realize that my chances suck but, c'est la vie *shrug*

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

We had a poster with a very similar profile (but somewhat lower SATs) on CC last year. He was pleasantly surprised by his turnout on admissions decisions so all is not lost. He didn't get into Bard or Skidmore, but did get into Goucher (MD), Lake Forest (Il), and St. Louis University.

My advice: look for LACs where the male-female ratio is heavily skewed towards females - those schools are often willing to take a chance on a male with a less than stellar GPA but good SAT scores. Also look for schools that are trying to increase their geographic diversity where coming from Calif would be a plus . Finally, being Asian can be a plus at some schools as well - especially in midwestern schools. Take a look at Goucher in Maryland, Hendrix in Arkansas (don't let its location scare you, it's a very liberal school), Knox in Illinois (excellent creative writing program), Earlham in Indiana, Beloit in Wisconsin, Lewis & Clark in Oregon, Washington College in Maryland (excellent creative writing and english programs), Denison in Ohio, the College of Wooster in Ohio, Linfield in Oregon, Willamette in Oregon, Seattle U in Washington. All will consider folks with your GPA and sats if you make it clear that you really know the school and want to attend. You might also like Cal State Monterrey Bay and Humboldt State -- you'd probably have a shot at both schools. Good luck!

By Intheory (Intheory) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

don't get down- Bennington is a great school and they (more than other LACs) will look past your GPA, especially if you have a strong essay that shows how intellectual you are

there this book you should read- it's called "Colleges that Change Lives" and it's mostly about great colleges for students with low GPAs- i found it in the "College Guide" section at Barnes and Noble

By Tongos (Tongos) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

um, 1+1, i thinks thats equal to two.
gpa's low, your SAT's high though.

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

In California, look at the CSUs and the University of San Diego. Outside Calfornia there ought to be a number of schools that will accept you, especially since you are not looking to major in science or math.

I would forget about the schools you mentioned, except as a longshot, but as Carolyn has said, there are other good schools out there.

By Astrix (Astrix) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

1+1, that's my 2 cents

By Vandermeyde (Vandermeyde) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

Thanks, folks. I'm tier-one for Cal State Long Beach and Fullerton (within 5 miles of campus) so I can safely make them both, and they are my safeties. I don't really want to stay around here in SoCal though, too much family drama et cetera.

Intheory - The book's not at my local borders or B&N, but I'll see if I can check it out.

Carolyn - I'll look around for more information on some of these schools, ta

By Annomalous2000 (Annomalous2000) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Vandermeyde,

Have you considered UCSB's College of Creative Studies? I have heard they look at non-traditional applicants and have a number of students who are not NT.

My son, who has AS, is going to UCSB's engineering school this fall. His GPA was only slightly higher than yours. He also was admitted to UCSD. He did discuss AS in his application.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page