Considering Yale?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Considering Yale?
By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

I live in NC and was considering applying to yale regular decision as a reach school. Should I even waste the money to apply? I could really use some help. THANKS A LOT!!!

Here are my stats...

AP Stats 4
Ap Chemistry 4
Ap US history 5
SAT 1270 (680 M, 590 V, will be retaking in oct., should improve substancially, goal is a 1400)
School on block schedule, max APs per year is 3 (will be taking AP Biology, Calculus, & English-Literature)
3 years Varsity Basketball and cross country (captain)(All-Conference)
Will be 3 sport athlete next year (will run
track, 300 hurdles & one mile in spring)
Chief Junior Marshall
Student Body Treasurer
NHS VP
"Best Latin Student" Award for 2003-2004 school
year
Key Club
Student Government
Latin Club
Latin Honor Society
Latin Program Leadership Council
National Honor Society
Interact Club
Science Club
Dream Team
Senior Mentor
Students Against Drunk Driving (S.A.D.D.)
History Club
Prom Committee
part time employee at loyal engineering firm(30 hours a week)
Boys' State
Jr. Red Cross Club (involved only during freshman year)
C.P.R. Certified
Toast Masters
Piedmont Swing Society
National Association of Rocketry
Freedom's Answer Coordinator
50+ hours of community service (Odyssey of the
Mind, Loaves & Fishes, Special Olympics, etc.)
Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizen
Award (voted on by students, given to one
person in my school)
Character Award (voted by faculty, given to one
male & female in each grade level)
Burlington Writers Club Fiction Contest 2nd Place

Thanks for your comments, again, I could really, really use some advice. Thanks again and good luck to everyone.

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

bump

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

just do it dawg...........its just 50 bucks.....u can work like 6 more hours and get that kinda money.....at least u wont ever regret the fact that u didnt even apply...

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

What do you really care about?

By John123 (John123) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

TOAST MASTERS!?!?

By Neo (Neo) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

SAT score raising will help...

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Toast Masters is a national group that have various chapters on a regional level. At Toast Masters you prepare speeches, work on your speaking skills, etc. Generally an adult program, but giving good speeaches was a problem for me so I started going to their meetings.

I really care about my sports, foreign language, Freedom's Answer, and Odyssey of the Mind.

And Satchamp, you make a good pt. Thanks to everyone.

By Iris115 (Iris115) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Loooooong list you have there.

I mean, CPR and Toast Masters? Unless you regularly save lives with CPR, why would colleges care? And I don't think that a good citizen award decided on by classmates counts for much more than any superlative you find in a yearbook. :/

If you could organize the list and point out which ones actually matter to you it would look less... random? You seem like a person active in your community and all, but as you've presented it you look like a dabbler: stretched out too thin and going for quantity rather than quality. Truth tell I don't see how you can be truly active and dedicated in the Latin Club, Key Club, Student Government, Varsity track, Varsit cross country, Science Club, Interact Club (huh?), prom committee, and dream team unless they don't require much effort or activity in the first place. Of course if you seperated the thing into sections and gave a few words of explanation I could be proven wrong.

Good luck on raising your SAT though. :) I'm sure a numbers boost would help. What's your gpa and rank?

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

GPA 4.0 unweighted
4.79 weighted
CLASS RANK 1 0f 280

By John123 (John123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

Tiredly looking at long lists of extracurricular activities and awards, I'm always drawn to the question concerning the reason behind a person's desire to be so ungainfully involved. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me as to your motives for participating in such a long list of activities?

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

As I previously mentioned, I listed all my extracurricular activities that I HAD EVER BEEN A MEMBER OF. My freshman year, I signed up for literally everything, and in fact, I was very active in literally everything. However, of course it drained me, but the purpose was just to see what I liked to do. I discovered that I really enjoyed the groups such as Key Club, Interact, etc., the service clubs that actually got involved outside of school in the community. So I kept up my rigorous schedule for my freshman year, then the next year I went to a smaller more select group of clubs. Sorry about the confusion w/ the list, but I would still like to hear what you think. I realize my chances are very slim, but my question was should i even spend the money to apply? Thanks again.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Even though I don't like ivies (total waste of money), my ultimate role model Dr. Ben Carson wen there. And b/c i'm obsessed and I know his life story, you should raise your SAT's to 1400's. Try to gradutate in the top 5% of your class. I wonder about your EC's. I don't know if you're taking them all at the same time. If you are I wonder how you have any time at all and how committed you are to each one.

By Jkc789 (Jkc789) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

GPA looks good

"Prom commitee and "CPR"???!!!
Try to pick EC's that display you as a well rounded person
As you play many sports, pick maybe EC's that involve liberal arts.

I think Yale is in reach for you ONLY if you raise your SAT
Frankly 1270 is DEF. not going to cut it
Raise your sat to at least higher 1400's to consider Yale

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot for your advice. Especially about the SAT. I think that is some real good advice that if I raise my SAT score significantly I should apply just to see, and if not, no big deal. How does that sound? Thanks again for everything.

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

what happened to SAT2s?

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:51 am: Edit

well, I could possibly take them in November and do very well on US hist., pretty well on the writing, and not really sure on the math (i don't really know what it covers honestly). However, I will be taking the ACT in September and October.

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

-------

By Mahras (Mahras) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Holy JESUS. How in the world did you fit all those in? And, frankly, half of what you have there is not going to help you at all for colleges. I saw a post once about a year back regarding admissions to Stanford and what the adcom told the students. The best applicants usually listed only 2-3 activities they totally indulged in. Seeing that long list I cant possibly EVEN IMAGINE that you had even put a minimal amount of effort into a few. I am sorry but thats going to hurt. The key is not to join 50 clubs but to do 1-3 which you devote yourself to.

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Mahras, I think if you would look at my post above starting w/ "As I previously mentioned..." that would explain a lot. Like you said, probably the best road to go is to join a few clubs and be totally committed to them. After my freshman year, I didn't do an enormous list of clubs, rather, I focused on about 4 plus my two sports. Thanks for your reply, but if could just please, please express your opinion about my chances I would be greatly appreciative. THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE!!!

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I realize my first mistake was to list everything I was ever a member of. Here is a more abbreviated version w/ the things that are most important to me along w/ my stats...

STATS
AP Stats 4
Ap Chemistry 4
Ap US history 5
SAT 1270 (680 M, 590 V, will be retaking in oct., should improve substancially, goal is a 1400)
GPA 4.0 unweighted
4.79 weighted
Class Rank: 1 of 280

CLUBS/ORGANIZATIONS/ETC.
Varsity Basketball (10,11,12) [captain]
Varsity Cross Country (9,10,11,12) [captain, all-conference]
Latin Club (9,10,11,12)[Latin Program Leadership Council]
Freedom's Answer Coordinator (11,12)
Odyssey of the Mind Official (9,10,11,12)
Alamance Consulting Engineers employee (11,12)
S.A.D.D. (9,10,11,12)

MISCELLANEOUS
Student Body Treasurer
National Honor Society Vice President
D.A.R. Good Citizen Award (11)
Character Award (10)
Burlington Writers Club Fiction Contest 2nd Place
"Best Latin Student" Award

Again, I was just wondering, if my SAT score comes up, should I apply to Yale, as a reach school, or should I simply apply elsewhere? Thanks again and sorry about the lllooonnnngggg list above. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page