I know my chances are hopeless for Cornell Ed and Chicago

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: I know my chances are hopeless for Cornell Ed and Chicago
By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

1. A US Citizen
2. Goes to one of the best high schools in Louisiana
3. Rank - 30/276
4. UW GPA- 3.5
5. W GPA - 4.0
6. psat score - 190 - (73/80M), (63/80V)
7. Sat score - 700M, 630V
8. Have not taken Sat II's, planning to get above 700 on all three

Major Hook - Have published a paper in the best computer science journal, just like Nature in Biology

Other Important stuff - Have won state and national research awards; have competed and placed very well at state science fairs, research competitions, and math competitions.

Have played the violin for 8 years and have won many awards.

For specifics and other things:

School and City Activities:

Louisiana Junior Youth Orchestra
Louisiana Federation of Music
Treble Clef Junior Music Society
Louisiana Youth Orchestra (1st Violin)
Mu – Alpha Theta Club (Math Club)
Beta Club
Beta Quiz Bowl Team
Hi –Y
Knowledge Masters Open (Gold and Green Team Member)
Louisiana Junior Science and Humanities Symposium
Quiz Bowl Club
Secretary
Baton Rouge Magnet High Science Club
President
Baton Rouge High School Quiz Bowl Club
Team Captain
Baton Rouge High School Quiz Bowl Team
President
Media and Technology Club
National Honors Society
- I have published 4 papers in various international conferences.

Here are my awards/honors:

-Louisiana Music Educators Association Superior Performance Medal(Violin)
-Member of Mock Trial Team [Alternate Member]; 1st in regional and 4th in state
-Member of Louisiana Youth Orchestra (1st Violin)
-Member of All Parish Orchestra (2nd Chair, Assistant Principal Second Violin)
-Won the US Army’s top 5 Outstanding Research Projects (from science fair)
-Won 3rd place in the State Foreign Language Festival
-American Academy of Neurology National Creative Prize Finalist
1st place in Hustle Competition at Louisiana MAè State Convention
- 6th Place in the Descartes Individual Ciphering Competition at Louisiana MAè State Convention
- Placed in the Top 25 in Regional Chemistry Olympiad Qualifying Test sponsored by the American Chemical Society

For community service, i gave volunteered at a regional medical center, a cancer center, and i perform math tutoring at the local library.

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

so what are you trying to ask us?

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

if i have any chance, i think they are hopeless, but I dont know that much about college admissions

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

what major are you looking into?

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

i was planning on going to biology, or arts and sciences thing at cornell

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

i think you have an so-so shot at cornell ED and an ok shot at chicago EA, RD would be very though with your stats.

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

also, i forgot to include that I have taken 10 AP classes and received a 3 in chem and a 4 in us history

By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Get your SAT to at least a 1450, if not a 1500, and you have an excellent chance. Your ECs are amazing, although ur GPA is not as high as one would hope.

By Pedro7487 (Pedro7487) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

If you take your composite psat score you have a 160 which equates to a 1600 on the SAT! You can definitely bump up your SAT score wayyy above 1330

By Hammertime (Hammertime) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

"If you take your composite psat score you have a 160 which equates to a 1600 on the SAT! You can definitely bump up your SAT score wayyy above 1330" - Pedro7487

Ummmm.....What are you talking about? His PSAT score equates to a 1360...

Quick math lesson:

73 + 63 = 136

Math is fun!!!

And his composite PSAT score is a 190 (73M/63V/54W)....I don't know where you got the 160 from...

Hmmm, that was pretty mean....sorry.

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

can yall tell me my chances, i would really appreciate it. thanks

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

bump

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Apply to the Agriculture arm of Cornell ED. They have a bio major, and it is easier to get into that school than Arts & Science at Cornell. Tuition is also lower for the state supported schools of Cornell.

EA at Chicago, as it is not a single choice school.

You have a good shot at the statutory colleges at Cornell University (using the Agriculture school route; admissions to the agriculture school is rolling, so if you RD there, get your application in early), a so-so chance at the private Arts & Science division at Cornell University, and a good chance at UChicago if you EA and have great essays and recommendations.

In any case, get your gpa up (which helps your class rank) and take the ACT or imporve your scores, that will help.

I hope this helps out a bit. :)

Just my 2 cents.

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Cornell ED is single choice, so you can't apply to other schools EA, regardless if the EA school is open or not, right?

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

No, the 'single choice' is that you only apply to one school ED, and if accepted, attend. If you are accepted ED, you must withdraw your other applications (EA, rolling, or RD). Chicago is early action - you apply early, they tell you early, you give them their answer by May 1st.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

It is possible to EA at Chicago before you ED at Cornell. The admissions letters would come about the same time, although you would still need to attend the ED school (Cornell). But, with this paln, if your ED school does not come through, you have an idea of how you would fare at both universities.

Sometimes an ED defers you, while an EA school accepts you. Thus, you can relax about the process, having one school acceptance in your belt, until you hear from the school you applied ED after the RD round. If you get accepted RD at your first choice school, you can compare packages, and decide whether to accept the EA schools offer or the RD acceptance (from the ED school that defered you to the RD round).

Just a few thoughts. :)

PS--Be careful to check the schools. ED is binding. EA is not, although at some of the EA schools, you can only apply to one EA school. That is single choice EA, as practiced by schools like Harvard and Yale. Other universities and colleges, like UChicago let you apply ED and RD to other schools. Definately read the fine print. :)

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

bump, can yall evaluate my chances. and i just want to make sure, can i apply to chicago and cornell.

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

bump

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Your SAT's are near the lower end of the 25%/75% range at both schools and you are not in the top 10% of your class. So it's really going to ride on your publication (which I suggest you submit) and SAT II's (Cornell) and essays (UChicago). You might want to consider retaking the SAT in November.

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Ohio Mom,

25% of the people admitted to chicago had scores ranging from 1300-1390, and 89% of the class were in the top 15% of their respective classes.

For cornell arts and sciences, which I plan on applying Ed, 59% of the applicants received 700 or higher in math, and 21% recieved 630-649. For the rank, you are correct that will hurt me with 13% of the students not in the top 10% of their class.

With these statistics in mind, and if my sat ii scores are all above 700, and if get 4.0 my senior year taking 6/7 ap classes, what would be my chances.

Everyone please respond.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Why not apply to the public arm of Cornell University and major in Biology? You are more likely to get into those schools of Cornell (the degree is the same) than A&S. You do INCREASE your chances at Cornell A&S if you ED. You increase them even more at the statutory schools at Cornell by going ED there, and because they have rolling admissions, if you get your app in pronto, all the better.

UChicago EA is always a crapshoot, they are quirky. IF you craft excellent essays, UChicago may ignore your current rank (they've done so in the past). UChicago is looking for a 'spark' of intellectual curiousity, not applicants who are grinds, BTW.

You have a decent shot at Cornell A&S ED, not a great one.

Again, just my opinion. :)

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

thanks, anyone else.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Vijeth,
my son's in a similar position with Chicago - not quite top 10% as of the end of the junior year, better SAT's, but no national publication credits. I think he would do better to apply RD where his senior grades (and updated rank) would be considered. He wants to (and will) apply EA to Chicago, because he wants to and is passionate about it. That counts for a great deal - it will carry through to the quality of your application. Go for it!

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

my question is how do you know you're going to get a 4.0 senior year with 6/7 AP classes, have you taken AP classes before, im just asking this because you didnt post your AP scores. and also, why do you think youll be able to pull off As with the hardest course load of your 4 years in highschool when you werent able to do so in previous years with easier classes?

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

these ap's are not the hardest in the world, and some of the teachers are easier than the ones I have had before. So thats the main reason.

Do you guys think I would have a better chance for Cornell Ed or Rd, and chicago Ea or Rd.

Also, could you guys tell me what the following schools are (Reaches, matches, and safeties for me).

Chicago,
Cornell,
UMich-AA
MIT (i know really tough)
Carnegie Mellon
Berkeley
UT-Austin
Rice
Johns Hopkins.

Thanks

By Angeldesignpro (Angeldesignpro) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

I think you are in a bad place, let me tell you why:

You have fantastic ECs, but not as uncommon "set" of them. That is to say, there are a lot of people who will have science fair and competition Ecs applying to top schools. However, while your stats are by no stretch of the imagination "low", they're not as high as others. That means when Cornell is picking their science article writing violinists, you will likely be at the bottom of the pile.

It's not fair, it's not your fauly, but I have a feeling it will hurt you at the very selective schools.

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:26 am: Edit

bump, anyone please

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:54 am: Edit

anyone

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:08 am: Edit

bump

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:40 am: Edit

Vijeth, those are all reaches with the exception of Texas-Austin. I would say Texas is a match.

Michigan, Carnegie Mellon and Chicago are reasonable reaches.

JHU and Cornell are plain reaches.

Rice, Cal-Berkeley and MIT are far reaches.

Those are great schools so apply to many of them, but make sure you have at least one more match and also apply to a safety.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page