Chances at Ivies??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances at Ivies??
By Philliesphan54 (Philliesphan54) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

my family is really pressuring me to apply to harvard and i think my stats aren't good enough and i dont want to waste my EA/ED on an impossible school. so can you please rate my chances at the top schools? (im indian from suburb in PA, close to philly)

SAT: 1490 (710 V 780M)
GPA: 3.93/4.33
SAT IIs: I will take Math IIc, USH, and writing...i think i can easily get over 750 in math and ush, but writing might be a problem
APs: US 5, Stat 4, Lit 3 (my teacher told me to take it if i thought i could at least get a 3)
course load is the hardest at school

EC's are decent, nothing impressive

baseball 4 years (2 JV/ 2 varsity)
co-captain quiz bowl (11,12)
VP spanish NHS (11,12)
NHS (11,12)
PA math league (9-12) just a competition, nothing big
Science fair (9) excellent award at school, satisfactory at regional...i personally think it sucked
volunteer at hospital for over a year now (i dont count hours, i assume over 150, not sure)
Elementary kids' mentor program (11,12)
work at the car wash (11,12)

what else?...4 APs senior year and 2 more classes that i can take AP in (i.e. span. IV)

i posted a essay a few weeks back, but it was boring as hell and very trite, so i think the new one is fairly good and unique.
ill get good recs from two of my fav. teachers

in conclusion, my stats are quite good (good enough?) but my ec's suck and ive won nothing. (to be fair, my school doesnt give opportunity to go to competitions, all they care is about football and we end up going 3-7 each year, i hate my school)so can u guys to the best of your knowledge please look at the above info and give your opinion at the top ivies and other schools

im also thinking of applying at duke, chicago, and northwestern. PSU and Upitt are my safeties.

thank you

By Philliesphan54 (Philliesphan54) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

i forgot to mention that i have volunteered a lot for little league baseball (instructional camps, evaluations, etc) and i work as a LL umpire part time

By Neo (Neo) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

You've got a chance, and your scores are in range. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess.

By Madelinemay11 (Madelinemay11) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

You should apply to Harvard -- if you get in, you'll see how random the admissions really are.

By Marny (Marny) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Go for it. You have an interestng background. LL Umpire---Working in a car wash-- Not typical of a kid applying to Ivy League schools. Schools are looking for kids who have interests other than math club-Intel etc.etc. Try to think of an interesting experience that happened at one of your jobs and write about it for one of your essays. I'm sure there was one good fight at a LL game. Good luck.

By Philliesphan54 (Philliesphan54) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

bump

By Monoe (Monoe) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

I think you need some structure in your EC's. I don't mean in real life; I mean on paper. I'm sure what you do falls into three or four main categories of interest, but that's not jumping out at me. Without that, Harvard is out of your reach. SATs from 1450 and up merely buy you a ticket to the lottery. SAT IIs, reccomendations, essays, and extra-curriculars - all of which should stress the same interests - get you in.

Then again, don't take my advice. I'm applying early to Harvard, and maybe I'm just trying to scare you.

By Philliesphan54 (Philliesphan54) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

bump

By Philliesphan54 (Philliesphan54) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

bump...any more comments?

By Philliesphan54 (Philliesphan54) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

comeon guys, a little more insight on this thing will be a lot of help to me. should i be looking at some other schools other than the ones i mentioned? i want to major in premed and possibly minor in history (american or world)

thanks

By Sybbie719 (Sybbie719) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

You say that your parents are pressuring you, unless they are willing to show up and put in the 4 years of school for you, it is you who has to decide as to whether or not Harvard is the right place for you.

Other than the name and reputation, is it what you really want, socially and academically form a school. Do you thrive best with competition or do you like a few warm fuzzies.

While you may get in, if it is not really what you want or need, how successful will you truly be?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page