Does my FINAL list of uni's look realistic? Please help!:P

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Does my FINAL list of uni's look realistic? Please help!:P
By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

After weeks of contemplating, I have finally decided on my school to apply
I live abroad...but im american! But english is not my first language..so i have done TOEFL!

Here are my stats!

SAT I: 1230 hoping to break into the 1300's in october

SAT II's: Bio :670 retaking to get above 700
Math iiC: 740
Writing: 510 Ahhhh...retaking

TOEFL : 623 with 5.0 for the essay

Excellent Cirricular activites such as Amnesty International, Varsity Basketball, Volleyball, and swimming. Won many MVP's and all tournamnets trophies.
In the school band, Newspaper, do a bunch of community service. Will probably get excellent recommendations

GPA: 3.81UW, 4.12 weighted

Next years classes: IB Bio II, AP Stats
IB Chem II, German II, IB English, Physics Independent Study

1. I am a resident of Maryland!
2. My SAT scores are 590 Verbal and 640 Math...AHH I am buying the Grubers SAT book to help increase my math score, cause I knwo I can pull it up to 700+ and verbal Im trying to raise into the 600+ which hopefully will be good!
3. I plan to major in Biochemistry, with an intent on PreMed!Which s going to be extra challenging!!Also considering doin Economics as a minor

Stretch:

Columbia
Cornell
University of Pennsylvania

Match:

Boston University
UofI-Urbana Champagne

Safety:
Penn State - University Park
Uni of Indiana - Bloomington
U of Maryland College Park

So what do u think!? I need all the opinions i can get!..Just want 2 hear others opinion who dont know me!! Ny response will be appreciated! thnxx
Let me know if some of my schools should be reach, stretches or safetys!
Thanks

For more proper stats u can go to:
http://www.prstats.com/2009/display.php?user=ternity87

By Collegehelper (Collegehelper) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

Tamy unfortunately that list is looking a little unrealistic. You have a good gpa and a good strength of curriculum. You have shown that you are better at the math & sciences. Your SAT II Math and Bio scores are impressive. Unforunately the lone setback for you is the SAT. If you can get your score to at a least a 1300 it will help you tremendously as you are already well-rounded and have shown good grades.

Your reaches I think are a little unrealistic. However, by getting a 1300 I believe your chances improve greatly at what you seem to think are matches.

Actually now that I see you are instate University of Maryland is an excellent school. It will be a bit easier to get into but even though you are instate I would strongly say raise the SAT to 1300 if you can. A 1300 is the SAT score cutoff if you wish to study business at University of Maryland's Smith School of Business ranked 17th in the country.

I think your safeties currently should not be considered safetites. A trend I have noticed is these schools have good business programs. If you wish to study business at Indian or Penn State that SAT score will need to rise.

So I'm sure its clear to you the only factor that is keeping you on the edge for almost all your schools. That is the SAT. Get a 1300 and I think if you are as well-rounded as you as you should get in without any trouble to UMD, Indiana, Penn State, Boston University and Urbana-Champagne

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

not bad, again, you should raise those writing and verbal scores. but, if you have great recommendations and a killer essay, you are just the diversity many schools need! good luck.

try concentration on doing really well on the essay portion of the writing SAT 2. The second time i took the writing, i ended up getting a perfect score on the writing, and it raised my score 150 points! I actually went down on the multiple choice. so, writing those essays is important.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Wow...thnx 4 the comments! My intended major is Biochemistry, so Im not really looking into the business schools 4 undergraduate! Im looking into the arts&science schools!
I am working on the SAT's and do hope to bring up my scores into the high 1300's!
Writing is what im most worried about..but with a bit of studyin etc I hopefully will b able 2 do it!
Any more comments willb very much appreciated!

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Since you are interested in BU you may want to consider applying to Northeastern.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Yea?! what is northeastern like!?Y would BU and Northeastern be linked?!

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

BU and Northeastern are both in Boston. Both are excellent schools. BU is ranked higher but Northeastern is a school on the rise. The administration has spent some major $$$ revamping its programs and building up its campus. NEU now has one of the most attractive urban campuses in the country. It is also becoming much more selective. This year the school recieved over 24,000 applicants for 2800 seats in the frosh class. The acceptance rate was 42%. Barrons recently upgraded NEU from "Very competitive" to "Highly Competitive" which is the second highest rating. BU is rated as "Highly Competitive+"

Read this:

http://www.boston.com/globe/search/stories/reprints/ahigher080803.htm

Northeastern also has the #1 ranked internship program in the country. Premed majors can intern at various hospitals in the Longwood medical area which is a only a few blocks from Northeastern's campus (the area includes Harvard Medical School). There are also internships at top biotech companies in the area like Genzyme and Biogen. Interning at major hospitals and top biotech companies will give you an advantage over other medical school applicants. I know several Northeastern grads who got into Harvard Med School through connections made while interning (they had good grades and high MCAT scores as well).

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:40 am: Edit

Wow...thnx 4 all that info Alan5! really appreciate it!:P I will check out Northeastern now!:P

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:57 am: Edit

Tamy02...

How about considering some of these schools too:

Wheaton (MA)
Mt. Holyoke
Skidmore
Denison
Rhodes
Lafayette
Case Western
Tulane

Some are NLACs with great undergraduate research opportunities that need more women in science, while the NU's have kids with your stats and in CWRU's case is looking for more women applicants.

Just my 2 cents. :)

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

List looks good though.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Tamy02,
you will have diversity *and* women in science points going for you. Just a little more SAT and you will be a very desirable candidate; make sure you practice from the 10 Reals as well. Skidmore is a very good school, and seeking to increase its diversity. If you can break 1300, I would add Brandeis - wants diversity, very good med school admit rate.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Yea..wow thnx again 4 all that!:P I will look into those schools uve suggested..!Right now im just focusing on vocab and will star practing from 10RSAT's in about 2 weeks wen im done with the vocab!:P Math is a strong subject for me..but its so odd that i cant seem to do well on the SAT math..so Im using grubers which I heard is the ebst out there rite now!:P and hopefully raise my score into the 1300+! I knwo I can do it!
Thnx 4 all the comments..nymore would be greatly appreciated!

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

bump

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

bump

By Jkc789 (Jkc789) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

hi
As people have said, try pulling your SAT scores up

The colleges you listed could be realistic

For your essay you can write about how living abroad changed your outlook on life, etc. I know people that lived under unique circumstances, wrote about it in thier essay, and i know colleges like that

Also, people seem to overlook the fact that you play THREE varsity sports. Thats really good.

I know a girl that had a 4.0 and played 4 years of varsity tennis and got low 1400's on her SAT's and she got into
columbia.....

with your "unique" situation plus THREE varsity sports, just pull you SAT's up and those colleges are reachable

good luck

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:48 am: Edit

thnx! thats very encouraging! really appreciate it!:P hopefulyl i can pull up those scores into the high 1300's!

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

bump!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page