Chances for hispanic?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances for hispanic?
By Prima_Donna (Prima_Donna) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Just wondering what my chances are at some schools such as Washington U. in St. Louis, Vassar, Washington and Lee, Notre Dame, U of Chicago, and other comparable schools.
Stats:
soon-to-be-senior

female, hispanic (mexican), from small private catholic school in ohio
SAT: 1420 (710 V, 710 M)
ACT: haven't taken (probably above 30 accroding to PLAN)
SAT 2: haven't taken

3,8 UW GPA, 4.1 W GPA

toughest classes, mostly A's, some B's, and C's in Physics up until last semester when I got an A, also, a C on English exam,
Senior year: taking calculus at local community college, and taking one AP (only one offered by school, biology)

EC's:
Cheerleading (9,10)
Flag corp (11, 12 captain senior year (didn't have a flag corp at school until eleventh grade)
founder and secretary of art club (11,12)
science club (11,12) (not offered until eleventh grade)
school musical (11, crew:12)
bowling (10,11,12)
national honor society
30 hour famine (community service) only offered 9,10
Phone-a-thon -9,11
students-in-business

community theatre (so far involved with 5 shows in three years)
piano:5 years lessons
voice: 2 years lessons
planned majors: voice and history

question: trying to expand EC's, considering volunteering at local historical museum, since im genuinely interested in history, would it seem like im padding my app if I started volunteering at local historical society? it is my intended major, will colleges consider that? also considering volunteering at humane society, I love animals

thanx

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

yeah you're in, i wish you werent in my class because you are applying to the same schools i am and you are way more qualified and you have the minority thing goin for you. good work and im sure you will get into most of those schools on that list.

By Prima_Donna (Prima_Donna) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

Thanx for the quick response, you have no idea how much you've helped. It doesn't seem so futile applying to these schools. Good luck w/ your application as well. I am totally confused about this admission thing. I'm still trying to figure out good safeties. How do you know if a school is a safety? How many do you apply to? I have so many questions.

By Prima_Donna (Prima_Donna) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

bump

By Neo (Neo) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Your stats are in range. Shot looks good.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

I pretty much know that its a safety when they accept a good portion (usually at least 50%) of their pool, have a generally low (30-40%) yield rate, and your SAT's are in the 75% or even higher.
None of those schools that you listed are safeties for pretty much anyone.

Good chances for all of your schools. I'd recommend GWU or American for safeties, but I don't really know any good safety schools for history, but they're good for Poli sci/gov't, so history should be good. I'm not sure.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page