Is my final list too risky? Please help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Is my final list too risky? Please help!
By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

I know many of you have read a post similar to this in the past few months, but thanks to the help of many posters here I have been introduced to many new schools and have amended my list. I think this is it! Do you think I need another safer school, or will this do?

--Small, all girls Catholic school in NJ
--1440 SAT (760v680m)
--At least National Merit Semi, I think - 224
--800 Writing, 710 Lit, taking 2c and French
--3.99 Weighted GPA....school doesn't rank
--Hardest courseload, 2 AP junior year, 3 senior

--Tae kwon do black belt, biggest EC, very involved. (6+ years)
--Brazilian Jiu-jitsu/submission wrestling - lots of competition, teaching, training (all 4 yrs)
--First trombone in school orchestra (9,11,12)
--Treasurer of major club in school for 3 years straight. (Environmental/Human Rights activism)
--Creative Writing Club, treasurer next year
--Volunteer at Special Olympics tennis (all 4 yrs)
--Work....15 hours a week during year, more in summer, teaching tae kwon do. Since freshman year. One of the head instructors at the school.
--Won Scholastic Gold Key (Regional) and Silver Award (National) in Humor for a play I wrote that is being put on at my school.
--Won New Jersey's Governor's award in the Arts, awarded to only 70 high schoolers in the state.
--Next year I have an editorial column in our school paper.
--I am senior class treasurer.

I am applying to:

Swarthmore (ED)
Pomona
Carleton
Macalester
Johns Hopkins
Reed
Occidental

Thank you so much for putting up with this rediculously long post!

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:48 am: Edit

:)

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:10 am: Edit

There are no real safeties here. I would add one true safety, bu you should get into half of the schools above. Great list otherwise.

By Dmxdawg (Dmxdawg) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:50 am: Edit

I am really sorry for "hijacking this thread, but this is addressed to Alexandre" (just ignore this everyone else)

Since my thread has been neglected and you seen really knowledgeable, is it ok if I e-mail you my stats so you could develop a list for me as well?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

Dmxdawg, I would be glad to communicate via email. Feel free to email me anytime.

But I also encourage you to use this forum. There are so many incredibly knowledgeable people here. Many are more knowledgeable than I in some respects. You would be best served bu waiting it out on the boards. Some of the input you can get here is invaluable.

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I thought Occidental would count as a "true" safety because I am well into the top 25% of SAT scorers. Do you have any suggestions for another school, Alexandre?

By Neo (Neo) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Where's your safety?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

TkdGal, Occidental is most likely in the bag, but you never know. By true safety, I mean a school that is a guaranteed. Only apply to one of them since you will most likely get into a few of the schools on your list above.

Some good safeties in my book are:
Colorado College, CO
Dickinson College, PA
Franklin and Marshall College, PA
Lawrence University, WI
Sarah Lawrence College, NY
St. Olaf College, MN
University of the South, TN

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot for the schools....I'm checking them out!

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

Would Scripps be a safety? How about Lewis & Clark College?

By Palmbeach12 (Palmbeach12) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:50 am: Edit

Tkdgal...

To be honest.. you probably have a 95 % chance of getting into at least one of the schools on your list... you even have a really good shot at Swarthmore ED!

But yes, with the nuttiness of college admissions, i would heed the above posters suggestions and apply to some or one of the schools above as a safety :)

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

Yes, Lewis & Clark would be a safety.

It has a beautiful campus, is close to Portland, has great study abroad programs, and an international feel like that of Macalester. It tends towards the liberal, but not as much as Reed does.

The Evergreen State College is a good safety, as it feels very much like Reed College, although a little more interdisciplinary in nature. It's not unusual for people to transfer between Reed and TESC and visa versa. I've had two handfuls of friends to it, and all seem to say the same thing. That is, Reed and TESC feel very similar.

Skidmore, Connecticut C, Bard, Lafayette would also be safieties for you, given your stats. Grinnell would be a match/safety and very similar to schools already on your list.

Hope this helps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page