Chances: ED at Carleton?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances: ED at Carleton?
By Zachfax (Zachfax) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

hey, if I apply ED to carleton, what do you think my chances are of getting in?

Here are the stats:

Hi My name's Zach, I'm a white male and I was born in Santa Monica CA, and i moved to wisconsin in 4th grade. I live in a very small Wisconsin town. The average amount of people from each class here who finish college is like 4%. My school stopped offering AP's this year because of money reasons, but i took AP BIO online last year but i didn't take the AP test. But, i think my school gives a great education if you take advantage of it. My dad is an electrician, but currently unemployed and my mom paints rooms. I am a first generation college student.

Took the ACT twice and my best score was a 27 but that was on 3 hours of sleep lol, so i will be taking it again this fall

I will be taking 3 SAT II's which i think i can do good on: Writing, Math IIC, and Bio

My classes for next year are: Band, Senior English, Social Problems (very tough college prep writing/current event class),
Calculus, precalc teachers aid, advanced physics (my second physics class), college prep chem (3rd chem class), and independent health(required). I've taken 3 years of Bio including AP.

My class rank is like 6/90... About 4 of the kids above me have artificially raised their GPA with a bunch of BS classes... my GPA is somewhere around 3.8-3.9 i got a B in AP bio, and our school does the 12 point scale for rankings and i have an 11.75/12, a 12 being straight A+'s.

4 Year Band Member (I also am a 4 year volunteer jazz band member) and I've volunteered for pep band for about 1-2 hours a week/8 months every year for 4 years.

I was in choir and chamber choir for 2 years but because of scheduling conflicts I wasn't able to take it this year and last

I've been in 2 school plays during high school and have had lead parts both years, I will also be in it this year too.

Leadership- Student council 4 years- Member, treasurer, president, and maybe VP this year, (I was one of about 3 junior presidents in our school's history) and i was also regioinal SC VP Junior year.

Class president for 3 years and might be this year if i get elected.

FBLA- 4 years- Member, Reporter, and this year i'll be VP. Last year i was 2nd in my region for impromptu speaking and I placed 8th at state out of A LOT of people.

NHS member 3 years

-prom commitee creator and member

-Traveling Quiz Bowl team 2 years

Sports-
X country 3 years, lettered 1

bball one year But I think I will do it this year instead of X country Just to try it out

Track- will be 4 years, lettered 3, went to sectionals sophomore year, and i got 12th at state junior year! so this year is going to be awesome!

League bowling sophomore year

EC's-
Taught sunday school sophomore and senior year
-roadside and riverside cleanup with the DNR
-help at local blood drives
-attended and raised money for alzheimers walk every year
-helped youth group of about 25 kids raise 25000 dollars doing carwashes and all kinds of other things to go to a youth gathering in atlanta
-was chosen by my principal to attend badger boys state, which i went to.
-part time job @ grocery store for 2 years about 15 hours a week.
-Now I started milking cows and scraping manure when school ended and i work about 24 hours/week during summer and will probably work about 12-15 hours/week during school

Test a nearby lake's quality with a teacher for the DNR for 3 years

-Won state optimist speech contest in 8th grade and got 1500$

-Volunteered and did tobacco compliance checks this summer

FCA member and lead many services before school-3 years.

I'm a really nice and funny guy, I love the outdoors, I love nature. I love to flyfish. In 8th grade I dove into a river with a friend and hit a log which i think is going to be my essay topic, because my life totally changed for the better after i did that because i realized, and my surgeon told me that a couple inches higher or lower I might not be here right now. OK well those are the stats

Chances at Carleton if i apply ED?

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

the important thing is, if you go to a bad school, IS TO HAVE GREAT test scores.

This lets colleges know that your school sucked but you got potential. However if you go to a BAD school and have BAD test scores, they'll think much less of your grades.

Study like hell for your tests and good luck. Write good essays too.

By Zachfax (Zachfax) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

im just not a great test taker :) 3 of my friends in my grade got over 30...

By Felipz24 (Felipz24) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

you need a higher sat or act score. good luck

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page