Can I get into the best engineering school in the midwest?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Can I get into the best engineering school in the midwest?
By Pladelephantman (Pladelephantman) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Ok well, I am heading into my junior year and I was hoping to find out about my Chances at the school of my dreams: Rose-Hulman. As an Indiana resident, it is widely regarded as a top notch school of engineering. What are my chances?

GPA: 4.0 (On a 4 Scale)
SAT: 1300 :( (670 M, 630 V)
Class rank: 3/100

Extracurricular Activities:
~ NHS, Mu ALpha Theta, Varsity Tennis, Varsity Track, Drama Club, Math Club, Peer Tutoring, Teaching Spanish at a local church, Building houses in Tijuana..etc...

Rec's: Excellent
I was gonna go ahead and try to apply Early Decision if that would help.

Also, what about these schools:
~ Tulane, Case Western, Bucknell?

Thanks a lot for your input.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

You certainly have a shot. You have the grades, class rank and your SAT is not bad by Rose Hulman Standards. But apply to Purdue as a backup.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I think you might just make it, slugger.

By Pladelephantman (Pladelephantman) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Well, thanks for the optimism. I just feel a little skeptical about it after my brother was rejected with a 3.3 and 1390... but again thanks for the evaluations. If anyone has any suggestions on how I could improve my chances, please give a holler.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

How about the top public schools in the midwest like Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin?

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Your grades and EC's look good for Tulane, although, your SAT is about 50 points under the average for the freshman class and certainly for the engineering school. Is there a chance you could take it again to break 700 on the math or could you take the SAT II's in math and possibly writing and physics? Apply early action to Tulane. It's non-binding, and you'll know before Christmas. Also, you may qualify for any merit and you'll know that by January. I think it may very well take a 1350 by next year to qualify for merit since the average was a 1348 this year. I say go for it! You will never know until you try. Also, what you do to get your app ready for Tulane, Case Western and Bucknell can only help Rose-Hulman.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

apply to Michigan and Northwestern too !

By Pladelephantman (Pladelephantman) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Well, I took the SAT as a sophomore, so yeah, I plan on taking it again. Thanks for the input. Isn't Northwestern very selective? O BTW I'm taking AP Psychology and AP Environmental this year and AP Chem, AP Physics, and AP Calculus next year so I think I'll do well on those.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

"Isn't Northwestern very selective?"

-You're darn right it is. LOL

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

You are well on your way to being accepted at Rose-Hulman as long as your junior year is as good as prior. SAT score is in the range and GPA/rank makes up for any deficiency there, but should retake in spring of junior year because it is likely to rise. Also consider taking the ACT. Rose has no preference and for ACT it considers only English and math score and ignores science, reading, and composite. In fact, to determine your score for admission it will actually mix and match SAT with ACT and take highest subscores from combination of both, e.g., it may use your highest math from an ACT test and combine it with the highest verbal from an SAT test to get your score for admission purposes. RH does not have Early Decision. It has rolling admissions -- meaning if you apply anytime in the fall of your senior year in high school and get all required items in, you get a decision within two weeks thereafter. Also, it requires and accepts only one recommendation -- form for it is part of app. It currently requires no essay.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page