Brown Chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Brown Chances
By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I will be applying to Brown ED this fall and was wondering if I have a decent chance or not?

International Student from the Philippines, no need for financial aid.

SAT I: 1440
Verbal: 740
Math: 700

SAT II:
Will be taking them in October

GPA:
9th: 3.14
10th: 3.46
11th: 3.78

Taking the hardest courses at my school, but even that isn't all that hard. Juniors are restricted from taking any APs. My school offers 5 or 6 APs. I'm taking three of them my senior year. Because of the limited amount of teachers, most kids at my school only take 1.

Extra Curricular:
Yearbook committee (Photo editor Junior year, Editor-in-Chief Senior year)
jrsr committee (advertising and business head)
jr class social committee
talent night committee (in charge of the food)
In my free time, I build computers and sell them
Able to the piano and guitar
speak 5 languages- spanish, english, mandarin, fookien (a chinese dialiect), tagalog (the language in the philippines)
Award Winning photographer, do 1 or 2 paid shoots a month, photos have been published in fashion magazines and big company product catalogs.

Thanks!

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Obviously, your grades are the weak spot in your application, and your EC's the strongest. Does your school rank?

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:07 am: Edit

HI there Ohio Mom. No, my school does not rank.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

If you apply ED, it shows interest and all that, and is statistically better. If you apply RD, you will have your senior grades to show, so it may be a wash. If Brown is your absolute favorite, you might want to give it a shot. I think you should carefully look into what materials might be appropriate to send as a porfolio. You seem to be an interesting person, and I think that will come across in your interviews and essays. 5 languages is a lot!

Have you been able to visit Brown? If there is any way you can do so (and the surrounding schools) I think you should.

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:38 am: Edit

Thanks for the reply Ohio Mom! :) Appreciate it.

I got the chance to visit Brown and was immediately pulled in by the information session. Taking the campus tour and walking down (I think it was Thayer street).. I was hooked.

What do you mean materials to send as a portfolio?

I have to take my SAT2s, and I'm really freaked out about that. It's gotten to the point where I'm scared of prepping for it (yes, I know it sounds weird).

But I think my senior grades will be quite good. For some reason, my motivation to excel is at a high right now. I've never felt so much drive in me in my life. It's great.

Could you elaborate a little further on the materials I have to send in and portfolio? A bit confused about that.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:34 am: Edit

Many schools will consider additional materials in addition to your application, essays, and scores. These could include an artistic portfolio of your photographs (I've seen other kids submit dance or martial arts tapes!); this would provide the admissions committee with an additional dimension of you as a person. Brown likes to know what you can offer it, and artistic talent is not such a bad thing. Applying early would increase the chance that your portfolio would be looked at - the adcoms won't be quite so busy.

First you must determine if Brown will accept a porfolio if you are applying for an academic degree. If so, you must present the portfolio in a form that is easily accessible to the committee - I don't know if electronic or hard copy is preferred - call or e-mail Brown and ask them both these questions. When it is time to assemble your work, find a couple of wise and artistic people to review your selections. Trust me - its really better to have knowledgable outside opinions on this!

Of course, you will list the awards your photos won in your application, also.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:39 am: Edit

Oh, about your SAT II's - buckle down and work! You're taking 3, right? Take a practice test in each, under test-like conditions. Figure out where you need to do the most work - put at least an hour a day on that, and a half hour a day on the others until schools starts. Then, test and review as you have time. Don't freak out - its just process!

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Well, school has already started and I've got lots of work. So I don't have much time to prep for my SAT II's. I will try and follow what you said, just modified a bit.

I will try to get three practice tests done this weekend, figure out where I need help then try and squeeze an hour a day for the next 2 months.

Thanks for your suggestions Ohio_mom!

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 07:04 am: Edit

OMG. I just took two SAT II subject practice tests and scored a 580 on the writing, 620 on the math 2C.

I think over summer vacation, I got a helluva lot stupider.

Now I have to figure out how to balance studying for my SAT2s and schoolwork. crap.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Good luck, Neophyte! It's really a pain balancing it all. My son is already out camping on our family vacation - with Les Miserables and his chemistry book (for two of his AP's) and his prep books for IIC and writing, so you're not alone.

BTW, which book were your practice tests out of? I believe the scoring on Barrons is pretty harsh.

Also, for you writing SATII, talk to your english teacher and see if he or she will grade a sample essay for you at some point - that would give you really good feedback.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page