My chances at Rose-Hulman

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: My chances at Rose-Hulman
By Smpaladin (Smpaladin) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:37 am: Edit

Here is a brief overview of my stats:

88.2 GPA or 3.3 GPA
In 23rd percentile of class of about 250 students (I finished my Junior year strong with all A's and one B).
Honors Geometry Freshman year, Honors Algebra II Sophomore year.
All throughout high school I've been in Level 1 classes.
Senior year I am taking Physics Honors and Calculus AP.
Spanish Club 1 year
F.B.L.A. 1 year
H.O.P.E. Club 1 year
Weightlifting 2 years
Track and Field 2 years
150 hours of volunteer work for 1 credit
Took Computer Science II as a Junior rather than a Senior.
Created and maintain local library website.

Took SAT twice, SAT composite score: 1280
680 M
600 V

Also this summer 2004 I attended and completed Rose-Hulman's Operation Catapult program, and I had an interview with one of the admissions officers while I was there.

Thanks for any feedback.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

Your stats are quite low end for RH but possibly worth taking the risk of an application. Rose considers improvement in grades from freshman to junior year a plus. It has rolling admissions so apply early in fall. You will get a response within 2 weeks after all necessary things are in. Rose has a tendency to put many on the borderline on a waiting list for a decision to be made after completion of first semester senior year -- if put on that list, it actually tells you what you need to accomplish to get admitted and if you do what it says you need to do, you will be admitted off the wait-list.

By Smpaladin (Smpaladin) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Thanks for the feedback. During my Junior year I really picked up my grades resulting in all A's and 1 B in Spanish II.
Any more feedback is appreciated.

By Pladelephantman (Pladelephantman) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Well, my brother had similar stats, same rank and gpa, but he had a 1390 SAT (700M, 690V). He was denied admission. Rose is a very difficult school to get into. You'll need at least a 1320 with a 3.6 gpa to stay in it. He also took many sciences courses (AP Chem, AP Physics, AP Bio, etc.) Unless you can get your stats up, you should consider it somewhat of a reach.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Admissions

Freshmen Academic Profile
Average SAT: 1320
SAT I - Verbal Range (25-75%): 570-680
SAT I - Math Range (25-75%): 640-730
Average Verbal SAT: 630
ACT Composite Range (25-75%): 27-32
Average ACT: 29
Students in top 10% of HS class: 62%
Students in top 50% of HS class: 100%
Students from Public School: 87

Average GPA: 3.7 UW

I'd say no. You have less SAT score and WAAAAAAY less GPA. Get your SAT to a 1450 and above to make up for your GPA, then do well senior year and you might have a chance.

By Smpaladin (Smpaladin) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

>Duke3d4 wrote:
>I'd say no. You have less SAT score and WAAAAAAY >less GPA. Get your SAT to a 1450 and above to make >up for your GPA, then do well senior year and you >might have a chance.

I just received my letter of acceptance from Rose-Hulman. Just wanted to let you know. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page