What do you think my chances are....?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: What do you think my chances are....?
By Jssballet (Jssballet) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

Hey, I'm a rising senior girl from a somewhat well-known private high school. Stats are as follows:

232 PSAT
800 v; 680 m; 1480 total (retaking)
800 w; 790 USH; 770 bio; 730 math 1; 720 math 2; 660 chem
APUSH 5; French 4; Eng. Lang. 5; Euro 5
3.95 unweighted
top 10% of 80

serious ballet dancer; 20-25 hours per week; participate in lead roles in Nutcracker; spring shows; auditioned for and attended BalletMet Columbus and Boston Ballet's summer intensive programs; 15 years
tutoring at local middle school, about 2 hours a week; 3 years
recieved Smith College Book Award
Copy Editor/Copy Manager of yearbook, 4 years on staff
published in school literary magazine

My first choice is Princeton, probably applying ED there, others are Amherst, Smith, Harvard, Columbia, Barnard, Duke, Southern Methodist, Wellesley, Stanford, Berkeley, U of Chicago...

Do I have any hope????

By Mini (Mini) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

How serious is the dance? Yu have a very strange list of schools for dance. Princeton as first choice? University of Chicago?

By Jssballet (Jssballet) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

really serious right now, 3-5 hours a day, plus, I forgot to mention that I'm in my high school's Dance Performance Ensemble, and for my list, actually Princeton offers daily ballet classes and PBT in the town is one of the best ballet schools in the country and U of C has a ballet company as do harvard and Wellesley, Stanford, Duke, SMU, Columbia, Barnard, Amherst, and Smith all have dance/ballet programs and some of the best in the country, Berkeley is really the only one without a program and it's 25 minutes from my current ballet school. I don't wanna major in dance, just possibly minor in it and am currently thinking that i wanna be an english major, thus I don't wanna go to a conservatory style school like Butler, U of Utah, NCSA, or Boston Conservatory.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

I don't think you need to retake your SAT. 1480 is good enough. And why are you applying to Southern Methodist? Your list looks great. I would also look into Pomona, Michigan-Ann Arbor, Northwestern, Brown, Williams and Swarthmore.

What do you wish to major in?

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

It can't hurt to take the SATs again; this is one of the largest senior classes in years and every edge counts. Your PSAT indicates that you could get an appreciably higher score which might make a difference in scholarships as well as admissions.

Chicago has an active dance scene, much bolstered by the arrival of the Joffrey in the last decade. There are also a handful of small companies in the area. Whatever college you choose, look at the activity on the local dance scene because that's where the good teachers and choreographers will be.

By Jssballet (Jssballet) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

I'm applying to SMU for 2 reasons, 1) my mom went there and they've been sending me stuff for years so I'm pretty certain I'll get in and 2) they have a really good dance program. And I'm hoping to major in English.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:13 am: Edit

Well, given your interests, scores, grades etc,, here are your chances as I see them (for the schools you listed above):

Amherst (match)
Barnard (safety)
Cal-Berkeley (match)
Chicago (match)
Columbia (match)
Duke (match)
Harvard (reach)
Princeton (ED) (reach, but you have a good chance)
Smith (safety)
Southern Methodist (safety)
Stanford (reach)
Wellesley (match)

Good list...and good luck to you.

By Jssballet (Jssballet) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

thanks alexandre!

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

Also...

Colby, Hamilton, Macalester, Reed, Oberlin, Carleton, Hampshire, Bryn Mawr (self-designed), Haverford (self-designed), Bowdoin (in conjunction with another department), Northwestern, Case Western, Emory, Skidmore, Cornell, Goucher and Sarah Lawrence have good Dance programs.

I'm looking to major in dance, and considered the list above, in addition to those already on your list. Mt. Holyoke and Smith (along with Hampshire) also have good programs in Dance and are in the Five-college Dance Department (with UMass and Amherst):

http://www.fivecolleges.edu/sites/dance/

Hope this helps, and good luck from another dancer. :)

PS--Duke has a minor in Dance, but they are adding a major also.

By Collegehelper (Collegehelper) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:15 am: Edit

Yeah Duke would be a good place for you. Great academics, the most prestigious school of the south and awesome athletics to go along.

By Jssballet (Jssballet) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:32 am: Edit

bump...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page