Bio Major Looking at Ivies/Other Highly Competitive Colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Bio Major Looking at Ivies/Other Highly Competitive Colleges
By Janeeyre (Janeeyre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

I want a realistic look on my chances at the Ivies/other highly competitive schools. As of now, (for my reach schools) I am thinking of applying to some of the following: Duke, Princeton, UVA, Rice, Johns Hopkins, and possibly (big possibly) Dartmouth, Stanford, and Harvey Mudd. As for safeties, I will definately apply to UMD (Univ of MD), which is in-state for me. In terms of majors, I will definately major in a field in biology. I think I'm weak on extracirriculars...but here are some my stats:

SAT I: 1580 (800 M, 780 V)
SATII: writing: 790, math IIc: 790, chinese (took it to graduate early from chinese school): 780, and bio: 720
GPA: appx 3.9 weighted- not sure, but last time I checked it was like 4.8

Class rank: I don't think we do class rank at our school
Classes: APs: (10th grade) Gov- 4, (11th grade) Bio-5, (11th) Lang+Comp- 5, (11th grade) AP Calc BC
I am taking: AP lit, Multivariable Calc, AP physc, AP stat, AP env, and I have a 3 period internship at NIH through a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Program

ECs: my NIH internship, Peace Club (secretary, then VP), literary magazine, science academy, NHS, ambassadors (through last year), Spanish honors society, piano since I was about 5 but I only have guild certificates/pins for awards, math team (9th-10th grade), and community servie (I have about 450 hours)

In terms of sports though, I'm not really an athelete. The only "sport" I have attempted is ballet (from when I was about 6 or 7 until I was 14) and that was only for fun.

Thanks and please give honest advice

By Janeeyre (Janeeyre) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

anyone? advice? your thoughts? I'd HIGHLY appreciate it :)

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Jane...

I'd check these out also, not in any order:

Swartmore
Grinnell
Williams
Carleton
Trinity
Davidson
Bryn Mawr
Amherst
Mt. Holyoke
Smith
Bowdoin
Denison
Reed
Macalester
Whitman
Bates
Oberlin
Wesleyan

You should be pretty competative at most of the schools you're interested in. ED or EA would help your chances at the universities.

As for the NLACs above, you will probably have a greater chance to do undergraduate research, and have more personal attention. Some have amazing placement in Ph.D and other grad-school programs.
Be sure to at least take a look.

Just my 2 cents. :)

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Great list Blainko, but I would like to at 3 cents to your 2 and make a full nickle!

Janem notice how unlike Blaineko, I actually arranged them in alphabetical order to simply things for you!

Brandeis (I am surprised you forgot those guys)
Cal-Berkeley
Chicago
Cornell
Duke
Harvard
Haverford
Johns Hopkins
Michigan-Ann Arbor
Middlebury
MIT
Pomona
Princeton
Stanford
Washington U. - St Louis
Yale

Between Blaineko's list and mine, I should say you are pretty much covered.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

I agree with Alexandre.

Now you have NLACs and NUs, plus a nickel. Heh, heh.

Good luck on your search. :)

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Give us some idea about your school and where you think you would rank if they did rank you. Where do the top 10% tend to go to college?

I think you are looking pretty good as a bio major or natural sciences major. JHU is the only hesitation as so many top Marylanders apply their as that is their "favorite son" elite school. Hopkins gets so many premeds/science majors within an hour radius. That is why I was asking about your highschool. If it is on their radar screen, could make a difference. I think Dartmouth is a nice choice for you along with Harvey Mudd. Stanford is a shoot for the stars reach for anybody, but you seem to have the stats to give it a try. You are definitely covered with UMD as a safety so choose whatever else suits your fancy as reach/match schools. Just make sure you can manage the number of apps you send out. And both lists from the above posters have great prospects on them.

By Janeeyre (Janeeyre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:38 am: Edit

Thanks Alexandre and Blaineko for the lists. :) I will look into those schools. Thanks very much for saving me all that time.

And Jamimom- my school is relatively new...I think I'd be a member of the 6th or 7th senior class. Most people at our high school head off to UMD. If we were ranked, I think I'd probably be in the top 2 percet. In the last senior class we had, I know we had at least one person get into Stanford, another to MIT, two to Duke, one to Princeton, and two to UPenn. As for JHU, I don't think we are on the radar.

Just another question, of the schools posted, which would be good match/safeties?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:02 am: Edit

To save us all the time and trouble, let me start by saying that, assuming you take your applications forms seriously, hand them in on time and write good essays, only 6 universities in the country are reaches for a person with your credentials. Those 6 are the obvious ones (Caltech, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford and Yale).

From the list above, the following are safeties:
Brandeis
Bryn Mawr
Denison
Grinnell
Michigan-Ann Arbor
Mount Holyoke
Reed
Smith
Trinity
Whitman

Schools that are very safe matches (almost safeties):
Bates
Cal-Berkeley
Carleton
Chicago
Cornell
Davidson
Haverford
Johns Hopkins
Macalester
Oberlin
UVA

The following would be tougher matches:
Amherst
Bowdoin
Brown
Dartmouth
Duke
Harvey Mudd
Middlebury
Pomona
Rice
Swarthore
Washington Unibersity (St Louis)
Wesleyan
Williams

Reaches:
Caltech
Harvard
MIT
Princeton
Stanford
Yale

By Mudbutt (Mudbutt) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:15 am: Edit

Im sorry Alexandre, but I do not see how you can classify Davidson, Haverford, Hopkins, and Cornell as "almost safties" while you classify many of their peers as "matches" and "reaches." Those four preceeding schools and the matches should all fall under reaches. Unless the applicant can write, and by that I mean an essay worth classical status in literature, those schools must be considered reaches.

Many people have 3.9 UW GPAs and 1550+ SATs and they all apply to the schools mentioned above.

By Janeeyre (Janeeyre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

I do agree that some of the safeties and near safeties given were kind of not that safe. I'm not that good or in fact good at all lol, but thanks for the encouragement. I guess another question would be what would be some definate safeties and good matches(not reaches, I have plenty of those in mind lol) for me?

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Hey there...

Have to agree with Alexandre about the safeties and safe matches list. As for your reaches, ED or EA will help you at many of them. Just make sure you really want to go there.

You have great stats and grades. Some interesting EC's, that you could parlay into a tight application with some thought. Don't sell yourself short. Just concentrate on the essays and make sure your recs are excellent.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Just my thoughts. :)

By Tianshi103 (Tianshi103) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

haha our stats are almost the same. are you from montgomery county? if so, what school? I go to WJ...

By Janeeyre (Janeeyre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Yea I am actually! I go to Northwest HS (Germantown)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page