Help me out man!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Help me out man!
By Mathwiz (Mathwiz) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I'm only 15, so I don't have that much stuff. But I'm still wanna know how I stand. Don't know what major (a few I might chose: math, electronics, robotics, law, astronomy).

Top choices in order (more or less): Harvard, MIT, Caltech, Yale, Standford, Yale, Tufts.

Male with both parents from Middle East
Location: Lynnfield, MA (for those of you who don't know where Lynnfield is, north of Boston)

Almost all A's since 4th grade 9 (A+'s in math since 6th except for 2 A's!)

Math Team since 6th grade, lots of top scorers at meets up through freshman year (2 perfect scores)

Took REAL IQ test in 6th grade, got 145-ish

National Geography Bee- went to state in 7th and 8th grade (only two years my school had it), finished tied in 7th for state in 8th grade

9th Grade Courses w/ final grade-
Honors Geometry A+
Honors English A-
Honors World History A
Honors French II A
Honors Biology A
Computer Apps (no honor course) A+
Web Design (same here) A+
PE A (teacher acutally said he was too lazy to hit the "+" key)

Won freshman school award in all courses above except history, Web Design, and PE

Applied and accepted to Phillips Academy @ Andover (math department head actually wants me to take calc!)

SSAT scores:
66% Verbal (My Verbal scores are always low, maybe cause I didn't speak fluent english until 1st grade since my parents were from middle east)
88% Reading
99% Math (350 perfect score! even though I got 2 ?'s wrong)
90% Overall

Took practice SAT on computer-
720 Math (Computer couldn't read some grid-ins, so I really had 790)
570 Verbal (Again the verbal blow)

EC's-
Math Team, top scorer once in freshman year
Mock Trial Team, lawyer once (cause there were 30 seniors)
Rocket/Science Club (Designed Rocket, didn't advance though)
Track Team (to be frank, I'm not the fastest kid)

That's all I can think of right now. Any ?'s I'll answer them.

Thx :)

By Idiias (Idiias) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Not to state the obvious, but study alot for your SAT's. If you're middle eastern, you still have to put "white" on your application. Are you going to have good essays? What are your letters of rec. going to be like? You need to do (more) community service and join a few more clubs, like FBLA or debate. Even if you're not 100% actively involved in them. are you persian?

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

I cant commend on your chances, since I didnt read it lol ( I have to go in about 2 seconds)
However I think you should add Cornell Univ to your list of schools.

By Meganc123 (Meganc123) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

well, nothing before freshman year counts. at all. and you seem a little pretentious (you got only an A in PE... so it must be the teacher's fault? and you actually have IQ results on your list?)

By Pink17 (Pink17) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

i have advice, enjoy your life now. NOW. stop stressing. this is so depressing, be free. be free!
one day you'll say to yourself, i wish i had enjoyed highschool,instead of wasting 9th and 10th grade on a message board full of sleep deprived college wannabe (ME) freaks.

By Mathwiz (Mathwiz) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

thanks for all the input guys

and yes, idiias, i'm persian

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

im with pink....save the stressing for the last few months of applications, not the 2 years preceding them

By Idiias (Idiias) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

It's not stressing, it's planning.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

ok....save the TIME....im fairly sure that your planning will result in some sort or form of stressing eventually, its all a matter of time...and you have TOO much of it ahead of you to plan now (in my opinion)

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Why is everyone obsessed with going to ivies. They're mad expensive and some have been giving out less A's each year. Also it doesn't really matter where you go as long as you have good grades. But as long as you work on your verbal SAT you should be fine.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Also if you go to an ivy, you will be surrounded by geniuses and you won't stand out as much. Then you will be more stressed out.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page