IB Students UNITE!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: IB Students UNITE!!
By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Hey,

I have noticed that a lot of students seem to be IB students. So, this is a discussion where you can discuss the IB?

But specifically, what courses are you guys taking? What is your predicted scores? And how are you guys finding TOK, CAS and the EE so far?

By Dreamsicle (Dreamsicle) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Hey, fellow IBer...

HL: English, Spanish, Calculus (I don't predict scores. How could I if I haven't even taken the course yet?)
SL: Comp Sci, Econ (7), Physics (5, ugh)

CAS Hours aren't too bad... most of them are pretty much done (excluding action hours, cuz I don't do much exercise outside of marching band).

The EE rough draft was done last week. Not too bad.

Can someone tell me what the point of SLs are? After all, you get no college credit for it.

By Calliandra (Calliandra) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

"Why are you not full diploma, Calli?" asked my teacher.
"Because she's smart," replied my friend. :)

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Calliandra.. it depends on where r u applying.. if u are applying in europe / asia... people dont know about AP and it is much much better to take IB..

HL: English, Chemistry, Psychology, Economics
SL: Indonesian, Math

dont know predicted score.. n im just starting on my Extended essay.. but already finish with my CAS

By Neobez (Neobez) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

are we supposed to start on TOK essays over the summer? I haven't. . .

HL: English, History, Math
SL: Spanish (5), Latin (4, hardest exam I've taken, period), Chemistry
not sure about my predicted scores, but I expect 7s in English and History, probably a 6 in Math, and HOPEFULLY a 6 in Chemistry. CAS is going alright. My EE is on the persian gulf war

By Conker (Conker) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:25 am: Edit

"if u are applying in europe / asia... people dont know about AP and it is much much better to take IB.."

Are you sure about that? I know people who take AP's and get accepted by the London School of Economics.

By Calliandra (Calliandra) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

Yeah, But I just want to stay in California, so IB simply isn't worth it to me. I'm still doing 5 certificates, but when when I see my stressed-out and harried friends who are full-diploma, you gotta wonder if it's worth it even for them.

By Dreamsicle (Dreamsicle) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:57 am: Edit

Is getting a full-diploma that big a deal?

I'm going with it this year, and I don't think it's that much harder than AP (at least if you're taking 4+ AP classes.) A few more exams, documenting CAS hours, a few essays... not a big deal.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

HL: World Lit, Biology, Math Methods
SL: Spanish, Chemistry (5, ugh), Psychology (6)

CAS - done but need to get the forms signed, ehhh
E.E. - rough draft done last May. my school actually puts deadlines on our E.E. process starting in January of your junior year. it's their way to prevent procrastination. It does work a little I suppose, haha

same with most people on predicted scores. No idea and our teachers don't predict anything until maybe a month before the actual test. I mean, how can you predict a score without even taking the class first?

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I'm with you, Dreamsicle...I don't think it's a big deal. I'm done with my CAS (EXCEPT for the forms, bleh) and two of my SLs, started working on EE already, and all the internal and external assessments are just the same as the big projects the AP kids get anyway. And I think ToK's gonna be fun.

HLs: Bio, History of the Americas, English
SLs: Physics, French, Math Studies

Gonna take AP Calc too, and *hopefully* physics HL (*crosses fingers*)...I'm such a dork. But my school doesn't offer it yet....

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:47 am: Edit

Comparing IB to AP is like comparing apples to oranges. You can't say one is "harder" or "better" than the other unequivocally. It depends on what you're looking for. I, personally, like IB better because it's more comprehensive. It's not just an exam date. I also think IB is better for college prep because of EE, and develops the whole student more because of CAS. /IB trolling

And Entropicgirl, ToK is the coolest! That is, if you have a good instructor. :)

My classes:
HL: English, Chemistry, Biology, Economics
SL: Math Methods(7), Spanish (6)
Am taking AP Calculus BC, too, this year.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:57 am: Edit

Hey,

I realized that I started thispost but I didnt even give my own stats.

lol.. here goes. By the way, these are all predicted grades because in my school we take all the courses together for two years.

HL: Math (7), Chemistry (7), Biology (7)
SL: English (7), French (6), Economics (7)

CAS Hours are done... I have about 300 Creativity, 600 action and about 200 service hours.

I finished my EE and my advisor said it should get an A. He predicted a 31 out of 36.

TOK, How I hate thee.

By Iris115 (Iris115) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:47 am: Edit

TOK is weird. Crazy teacher.

IB is so weird in general at my school. For example, they made me take IB Math Methods in 10th grade. Yeah, good idea, especially since you have to be in 11th grade to take the exam. Ugh.

By Calliandra (Calliandra) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

Full-diploma IB is a pretty big deal at my school because we don't have enough class periods in the day. You have to take two years PE, Computer studies, and other graduation requirements in the summer, and go to a zero period that starts at 6:45 in the morning for TOK in addition to all your classes. It gets tough when you're a theater student and you stay two-three hours after-school everyday(more right before a show), (and in april and may, you go to study groups after that, not getting home until pretty late to do other homework/chores). It would be easier if we had a seven or eight period day.

By Takanawajoe (Takanawajoe) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

IB diploma is worth the effort. I just got my scores: full diploma awarded!

HL physics 5, English 5 CS 3
SL French 4, Math 6, Econ 4

I get 12 hours credit at RPI for my HL scores.

My brother got his 2 years ago and started SMU with 10 hours in French and English. He told me SMU was a breeze after the IB.

Go for it....

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Calliandra--same for us with the PE and computer during the summer (local community college, oh yeah), and with the morning ToK (ours is at 7 in the morning, though)

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

bump

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

I'm not a full IB student but I'm trying to take as many IB classes as possible:

My jr year schedule was:
IB Chem II
Senior science investigation
IB English I
AP calc AB
Pre-IB English 10 (had to double up)
and other crappy regular classes

Sr year schedule would be..
IB EnglishII
IB Biology I/II
AP government with politics
IB Math studies
IB Geography
and 2 other regular classes.

I'm not looking forward to taking them though

By Planonian (Planonian) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

From what I hear, the EE is pretty much just a checklist requirement. Meet the word limit, have a few sources, and you're good, there's not really a place where they show a 'score' on the EE. And CAS hours, well, it's part of the "philosophy of CAS" that when you do your CAS hours, you shouldn't be thinking of how they're CAS hours, or else they're not true CAS Hours. So, theoretically, you shouldn't need to change anything to get them. Pretty easy, right?

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

For the AP/IB comparison...I definitely think IB is more work.

I took the AP Bio and english lit tests and got 5s, with half of the required time needed for IB classes, and I think even with the full IB class time, I'd count myself lucky to even get 6s. For our school, we have to take two years of each IB class because of the hours requirement, so for full IB-diploma candidates, that basically eliminates all electives.

For AP tests, you can just sign up and take it...an hour of multiple choice, and maybe one or two hours of essays, but IB offers very little multiple choice and the multiple choice questions are HARD. They usually twist the general information so that you have to draw connections and use your knowledge to come to slightly newer conclusions.

I'm biased of course, but I think taking 6 IB classes and tests is harder than 4+ AP classes or tests. AP classroom standards vary, so I guess for some schools it would be harder. I still find it unfair that colleges give no credit for SL...it's insane! After all the work we have to put in (my school still makes us do two years for SL classes as well) it would still be for nothing.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:52 am: Edit

I can't speak much since I wasn't an IB student (I chose to go to the math/science school instead) but the math exams seem to test useless information for someone other than a mathematician. I think last year my friend was telling me he had to develop a general equation for the expansion of (i+2)^n or cos(2 * n) or something? No doubt IB cranks out a bunch of contributors to society, but at what cost? Most of the kids I know that went through the grind are complete burnouts, or to be more accurate zombies with good grades but not a creative brain cell left.

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Rising Junior here!

HL: English, Math, Bio, Chem, Physics(extra)
SL: French, History

By Piman3141 (Piman3141) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

uh, what is IB? Ive never even heard of it, and I live in CT. Is it like a step above AP or something? Forgive me for tainting your board with my ignorance.

By Piman3141 (Piman3141) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

uh, what is IB? Ive never even heard of it, and I live in CT. Is it like a step above AP or something? Forgive me for tainting your board with my ignorance.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

hahaha, Ali, you have 5 HLs?? are you crazy? hahahah, yea...good luck with that. you're only a junior, though. trust me, you'll be changing your schedule within this next year. I was originally signed up for 4 HLs: English, Math, Bio, and Chem and 2 SLs: Psych and Spanish. After taking SL chem at my school, there was no way I was going to do another year with the teacher I had. I can't stand her. She treated SL as HL and graded unfairly. It wasn't worth it for me. ;) so I SLed in psych and chem this year, leaving SL spanish and euro history (taking euro for fun, tho, not testing in it) and HL math, bio, and English for this last year. anyways, have fun with that schedule!

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

How long are your IB courses for? Each of ours, regardless of HL or SL, are two years long. It's quite dumb...but I guess the bright side is we learn HL material for classes we eventually test SL in?

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:20 pm: Edit

Ours are two years long as well. But we follow our syllabus, we just spend more class time in higher level classes and less in standard levels.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

I got a 4 on Latin Sl. . .I'm thinking of taking IB Latin HL instead of AP Latin because of that relatively low score. . .but I'm not really sure about what I want to do. They're both in the same class so I have time to decide, but what do you guys think?

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

I have no idea about Latin. My school doesn't offer it. I'd say don't HL, though. A 4 isn't too bad and all that matters is getting 24 pts for your diploma, I guess...besides, if you scored a 4 on the SL test, what makes you think you'll do better on the HL? It's only harder, you know, haha...

as far as lengths of IB classes, at my school SL are one year and HL are two. the way it's set up is if you're SLing in, say, bio, then you take SL bio junior year and then test at the end of the year. If you are HLing in bio, then you still take SL bio junior year, don't test in it, and then take one more year which is labeled HL bio and take the HL test. Make sense?

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:20 am: Edit

Hey, IB DIPLOMA graduate here!

anyway, just the scoop for u IB hopefuls, IB is definately worth it as far as academic preparation, although AP would give u more units and get rid of more requirements than IB credit would. most of the big name colleges recognize IB so no worries.

if you have any questions about IB or how it affects college admissions, ask away! =D

piman: IB isnt really a step above ap, although those doing it really consider it as above ap in terms of academic rigor. IB is basically the international version of AP; your tests are moderated and scored internationally (yes, american math pales in comparison to european and asian math). ne waize, it is good if you plan to apply to out-of-country colleges; ib is meant to standardize curriculum. what makes it harder is that it requires you to take a well-rounded courseload, while in AP, u can pick and choose which APs u want to take (obviously the ones youll do good at, while in IB, you have to take courses that youre weak at as well). your living in CT makes no difference, most people in the US have not heard of IB anyway; it is much more popular overseas. nevertheless, im sure IB schools exist in CT, and all the top universities recognize IB. for one, the UC's have a special box where u can check if you are IB Diploma.

-kevin
former IBA President, rowland h/s

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

bump

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Kfc4u what does an IBA president do?

By Patito12 (Patito12) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

yup, i have recently become an IB Diploma Graduate also.
i got the IB Bilingual Diploma actually (2 A1 languages) with 32 points total.

yeah, the IB is a lot of work and all, but I suppose in college, its worth it. i got fair amounts of credit before even stepping foot in college, and it definitely prepares you for what college study habits should be like.

anyways, i took HL A1 French, HL Physics and HL Chem, with SL Math Methods, SL History and SL A1 English.

By Chezo (Chezo) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

HL - Chem, English, History
SL - Physics (6) (pooooopooooo) Math (7)

CAS and ToK? that can wait till im done my SAT
How would a physics 6 look on my University application?
Im applying to Stanford petroleum engineering
790 on physics SAT and 93% school mark -_- only got a 90% on my diploma.

shouldi even submit my IB mark?

By Silver_Wavez (Silver_Wavez) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 08:33 am: Edit

I go to the largest IB school in the world. United world college of south east asia in singapore.
Anyway I do HL: English A1, History, Art
SL: Math methods, Frech B, STS

7,6,7 repsectively.

Hoping to get my HL scorew up though.

Applying to Columbia ED

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

The largest IB school in the world, wow/

What's the university placement at that school?

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Chezo--I'm like you; applying to a physics major, got a 6 on my SL Physics test and an 800 on the SAT II (along with a 7 on math studies, I know I know but calc is this year, and a 770 on IIc).
Pretty much, I figure....they know the difference between a 6 and a 7 can be small....anyway, this is my school's first year offering the class, and the teacher didn't cover ANY electromagnetism--it was crazy. So I'm just submitting them...

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

You have really good statistics, Entropicgirl. Yeah, I found the IB curriculum annoying in many ways. For biology, I ended up taking the SAT II with under half of the material covered in class. And I can't take it at the end of year two because that's the end of senior year...in physics, we go backwards so we learned measurements, electricity and magnetism, waves, optics, and some other randoms for IB1, then do mechanics, thermodynamics, astrophysics and other things for IB2. Since SAT II seems to focus a lot on mechanics, I didn't even bother taking it.

By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:26 am: Edit

Hey

I will contribute something here!!

I think I go to the smallest IB school in the world:D
In my class there are only 16 people. In my math HL class there are 5 of us:D So this is fun, isn't it:D

Anyway I take a full diploma, writing egzams next year. Subjects?
HL: Maths, Physics,Histoy
SL:PolishA1,English A2, Swedish B,
German as an extra subject(excluded from the diploma)
SAT:1200( 680m, 520v) have to work on it

Willing to go Princeton or Harvard ED as an international without any chances....

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

You're taken four different languages, that must be very difficult.

The maximum you can take at my school is three, and then you have to study one of them with a private instructor.

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

I believe that IB students tend to exaggerate how difficult the program is academically. Yes, IB does force you to be well-rounded in all disciplines, but anyone aiming for the top colleges will have at least taken AP Calc, AP Lang, one of the AP histories, and one of the AP sciences. Foreign language is the only subject where good students tend to avoid AP's, but even with IB, most people take Language B-SL, which is not very impressive.

I do not deny that IB Math HL is many times harder than AP Calc. But some of the IB classes are really a joke. IB History, where you spend two years studying Euro History from 1900 on? What about IB Physics HL, where the instructor piles on meaningless lab after lab--while never even touching calculus? There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, IB merely spreads AP class material over two years, and piles on unnecessary work.

The great part about IB is that it standardizes class work. Colleges can be sure that IB students taking Physics, Bio, Chem HL know how to do labs and write a report. In AP, for all they know, the instructor could have had fed the students the result of each lab. IB also avoids multiple choice. This is both a blessing and a curse. Although MC questions are a poor indicator of understanding, they are at least an objective standard against which students can be measured. Basing a test entirely on essays leaves the student vulnerable to the whims of each reader.

By Limon (Limon) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:32 am: Edit

What are you thinking of writing your extended essays on?
I have one friend looking into chromatology and the psychology of color quizzes, another comparing Tobias Wolff and Jeffrey Wolff, and one doing something on WWII.

Does everyone here take the SATII exams, or has anyone submitted the IB exam results?

Also, at my school you can usually be exempted from an exam if you have a 7 in the class, at least in junior year, is this the same at your school?

By Limon (Limon) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

Conker,
While I have no firsthand experience with AP classes, they seem geared towards passing the exam. They pack a lot of material, generally memorization or simple analysis (not a hell of a lot of logic or perspective), into a year, follow the curriculum to the letter, and students breathe a sigh of relief as they immediately start cramming for the next batch of AP classes they'll take.

The IB program encourages critical thinking and a dedication to learning a lot and learning it well over a period of time. People think it's a drag to have to take a course for two whole bloody years, to take courses in humanities, to write a long essay in their area of interest, to be well rounded and well practiced. Screw them. I am perfectly comfortable saying the IB isn't for everyone, isn't for grade grubbers or multiple choice wizzes. There's a trend to think of high school as just a prep for college, yeah, once you memorize all these meaningless facts, once you pass this exam, once you cram for the SAT, then, THEN you can learn - psychology, philosophy, literature, medicine, art, and so on. I think the IB is a very good program because while it has a curriculum and guidelines, it allows a surprising amount of freedom. You don't have to wait until college to get the "big picture" you get in TOK, your first real exploration into your field, your passion, won't be your senior thesis in college but your EE, and so on... My old school offered IB music, IB drama, IB psychology...

The main difference between the AP and the IB seems to be that the IB stresses method. It doesn't matter what exactly you study, you will have the resources to pursue your studies. You will know how to write a good essay, not just a list of grammatical rules. You will know how to investigate using the scientific method, not just the number of valence electrons in x element.

"The whims of each reader." Nah. It doesn't work that way. The IB's good at weeding out bs. What IB history did you take? IB 20th Century Topics at my school is both Europe and America, it's actually not recommended for Spanish students because it spends so much time on the US when Spain's exams require much more European history.

I do have a low opinion of the AP, maybe too low. There are problems with the IB also. CAS hours? Obligatory voluntary service? I know some students who shouldn't have even considered the IB bs their way through most of it. I've known teachers who rush quickly through things because there's still an IB exam to prep for. But for the most part, the IB is challenging, in a way that's more college than high school.

(Mind, this is my opinion of IB overseas, mainly Spain and Venezuela, while the idea of the program means it should be the same in the US, I have no idea)

By Neobez (Neobez) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Limon I applaud you. You articulated exactly how I felt about the program, and I'm in the U.S. I like that the program is the same in standard and learning regardless of where you are in the world.

It is NOT for everyone, but as opposed to AP exams which I often (not always) find very topical in approach, IB really stresses learning and method, as you put so well.

And conker, it is a choice for the diploma. People can stop with a language at SL, but most go to HL or AP because that's how you get college credit. In my mind, IB students generally do decide to go for the HL or AP, putting 4 years of language work and then stopping short of getting college credit seems ridiculous to me. AP and IB language classes are taught in the class usually, as they're both level V, the curriculum is similar but HL is considered to be slightly more difficult, with recorded interviews sent in and whatnot.

I don't think any IB class I've taken is a joke at all. Of course that is your opinion, but I completely disagree. I have not encountered this 1900+ 2 year History course. We have IB World History in 11th grade, which pretty much covered all history (mostly Euro-Centric) to World War I. Now we're doing World Area Studies (the 12th grade course), which is looking specifically at conflicts in the world. We started with a brief review of WWI from World History and now we're going really indepth in Fascist Italy. We've spent alot of time on evaluating sources. I dont know if AP Euro History does this, but we really, REALLY, critique sources. We don't just learn information, we learn different interperations of that information by looking at sources and critically evaluating them.

Let me compare English classes for instance. IB English HL (a required HL at our school, along with history) and AP English. From what I have read and heard about the class in our school, AP English is heavily focused on reading, not so much on writing essays and the method of writing.
IB English. . .you will KNOW how to write a damn convincing thesis-based essay by the time you're out. The IB English 11th grade teacher, who teaches AP english for 12th graders, put it simply at the end of 11th grade "If the books we read were ok for the AP exam, you guys would have no problem getting good scores on the exam."

So I think generally IB classes are just plain better than AP courses. In some cases I would advocate taking AP courses, such as AP Calc, AP Latin, and AP US History. . .for good reasons
There is no IB US History tought at our school. ..
only a Pre-IB US History in 10th grade, which obviously isn't full-fledged IB and an AP US History. I took the AP history, it was much more rigorous obviously, and i got college credit for it.
6th subjects at my school: latin, theater, music, and second science. I do latin.

for AP Latin IV, which is tought in the same class as IB Latin IV (HL), I'm going for the AP Latin curriculum because
a.) I love Vergil and the Aeneid
b.) the HL curriculum is spread across several different poets and what not, and alot of them simply aren't interesting despite their extraodinary difficulty. Livy for example. Wales determines that curriculum though. . .they seem to love Livy, he visited britain or something.

I scored O.K. on my SL exam so my diploma requirement is through with, i just like the AP curriculum better.

AP Calculus BC is a great class so far. I'm also taking Math HL, which is as difficult and rigorous as it gets, but to take that class you must also take Calculus BC, as some of the curriculum has calculus. the same teacher teaches both (also our ib coordinator), and I like math HL a little bit more, but both are great and teach great things. Taking two extremely rigorous maths isn't easy, but I think it's worth it. I have spoken to people who are in college now, who took and got colleged credit for Math HL and calculus bc, and are now taking calc 3. One said he skimmed through the textbook and supposedly the most difficult aspects were covered in Math HL.

So there's my opinion. I love IB, as difficult as it gets, because it pushes me in all areas, and I learn a great deal of information and I develop great methods in approaching that information.

my EE: on the persian gulf war

sorry for the long post, I love IB though.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

I have never taken AP, so I really have no reference point.

But what you said about B languages isn't very fair. I take french SL B and it is one of my most challenging courses. For a student, like me, who never gets to practice french outside the class-room, being forced to learn a new language is often very difficult.

I already did my EE, it was on the "Chemical Kinetics of the methylene-blue clock reaction"

By Limon (Limon) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Neobez,
Ahhh... IB history... That's my favorite part, critiquing sources. After having exactly one source in 10th grade, a single history book that was neither in-depth nor completely accurate, I'm looking forward to actually having an opinion and an objective view instead of just a regurgitated answer from God knows who.

What books have you read in IB English?

By Neobez (Neobez) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Yeah seriously, Spanish SL was hard for me davidrune. To say it isn't impressive is really not giving it the full credit it deserves.

Limon, yeah I've seriously been able to look at History in a new light already. We can finally take into account the sources we're using. For a while there's been this stigma that "if it's published it's 100% correct".

stuff we've read in english junior year:
Frankenstein, British Romantic Poetry (blake and Wordsworth), Heart of Darkness, Siddhartha, House of the Spirits, The Stranger, Madame Bovary, Richard III, and. . .that's it *I think*

this year so far:
Hamlet, Twelfth Night

what have you read?

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

In english IB SL, we studied:

Hero of our time, The Great Gatsby, Fathers and Sons, The sun also rises, Tales by Anita Desai, Short Stories by Anton Chekhov

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 02:53 am: Edit

speaking of IB, the IB coordinator at my old school is the most incompetent human being ever! its so frustrating! ok just venting... anyone else with incompetent ib coordinators?

By Limon (Limon) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 07:20 am: Edit

No, I have an amazing IB coordinator. It's just that the guidance counselor refuses to listen to anything he says. He's horrible. He absolutely refuses to make schedule changes, he tried to put me in Algebra 2 instead of Math Methods (I'd already taken Algebra 2, with the same book and all), because it was easier for him.

This is what's usually read, but it varies 'cause my English teachers like to improvise and have favorites.

Junior year: Oedipus, The Divine Comedy, Brothers Karamazov, Death of a Salesman, and poetry (Frost, Eliot, Keats, Ovid). We spend almost half the year on Divine Comedy, and almost as long on Brothers K.

Senior year: Hamlet, The Dubliners, The Iliad, Annie Dillard essays, selected Ezra Pound cantos, and other poetry. (Also might include Sun Also Rises and The Things They Carried, but I think those are summer reading and not really covered)

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:27 am: Edit

"While I have no firsthand experience with AP classes, they seem geared towards passing the exam."

That's not true for our AP classes. But you bring up an excellent point. There is no standard for AP classes. Teachers who emphasize learning and thinking are no more (and sometimes less) rewarded than teachers who teach to the test. As I mentioned earlier, IB is great because it standardizes class work. A student taking a HL class WILL have taken the equivalent of a first-year college course.

I am taking French SL B, and I do not find it particularly challenging at all. I'm not a language expert, but honestly, the only difficult part is the oral, which can be prepared in advance. Perhaps it's just my teacher.

By Limon (Limon) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

That's good to know. Without knowledge of the teacher and their intent in teaching an AP class, why do most students sign up, for credits or interest?

Is there a division in classes between HL and SL? For the most part (with the exception of math and some science classes), SL and HL students are taught in one class, same material, same workload, etc. You could go a whole year not knowing who's taking a class for SL or HL credit. (At least Junior year.)

By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:01 am: Edit

Here down in Europe, Sweden we take HL together with SL, however 1.5 hour a week we sacrifice only for the HL group. Maths HL we have separatly but the pattern of learning together holds for other subjects.

My coordinator is quite funny. He does everything that he is asked to. He will die to help you in all ways. I like him, even though he is so clumsy. He is a great physics teacher though....

Concer: I take Swedish B. To be honest I have studied this language only for a year, but when I wrote the practical paper 2 I got a 7. Well, it may be easier to study the language in the country where it is spoken, but still..... I think B languages are just for raising final grades....

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page