Chances for Ivy for Native American

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances for Ivy for Native American
By Anjin (Anjin) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

What are my chances for the IVY league schools.
1590 SAT ( 800 M/790V)
800 Math 2c
790 Writing
760 French
530 Physics

I take every single AP in my class, and I am very closely affiliated with the Objidwa tribe (we are obscure).

My Rank is 2/700.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

RU joking? You have an automatic ticket to every single school in the country.

By Cluelesshopeful (Cluelesshopeful) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Are you actually classified as Native American? Because if you are and with those numbers, you seem like an awesome candidate for any college you could ever dream.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

No college can reject you. Teenagers dream about you. You do not perspire - you are God.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

Well, what do you want to study? Apply to just one school!

Engineering:
MIT (Safety)

Business:
Wharton (Safety)

Everything else:
Harvard (safety)

As a Michigan alum, I am quite familiar with the Ojibwa tribe. Not many of you left in the Great Lakes region, but I have knew a couple who came from the Dakotas and studied at the University of Michigan.

By Bettina (Bettina) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

If you read the book The Gatekeepers, you will see that they beat the bushes trying to admit qualified Native Americans to Wesleyan (an excellent top school) and admitted a kid with something like 1150 SAT. You are golden. Just look closely at schools to be sure you find a good fit for yourself. Don't just choose because it's ivy league.

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

You're flawless. You can go to any school in the country, and they'd be happy to have you. They need Native Americans for diversity, and they'll be thrilled to find one as qualified as you. Congratulations...you have no reach schools.

By Dmxdawg (Dmxdawg) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I wish I were you

*cries*

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

There are also awesome summer internships for Native Americans. I echo Bettina, pick a school that fits you and makes you happy, regardless of its rank.

I don't know your financial situation, but there are schools that would most likely offer you merit in addition to the need based aid. You really should be golden to weigh your offers.

By Anjin (Anjin) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

I'd like to say that I may not put down that I am Native American on the application. Call me an idealist, but I do not believe that some should be automatically given acceptance into colleges just becuase I was lucky to be born as a Native American. It wsan't something I can control, and since it wasn't, why sohould it determine where I go to school? It's not like peopple have treated me a certain way becuse of who I am, and I am sure I have gotten an equal level of education as you lot.

By Anjin (Anjin) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Thank you everyone for your responses. You are kind people, and I hope all of you get into the colleges of your dreams. I look forward to chatting with you in the upcoming months, as our college serach process gets into high gear
:)

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Just wondering what exactly do you do as a native american, I have an idea but could you describe it in depht?

By Anjin (Anjin) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

And to those of you who wished you were me, please don't say that. Life is so much more than getting into college. We often lose our perspective, but we shouldn't forget that our lives are shaped by who we are and what kind of people we are, not by wihch colleges we go to.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Anjin I admire you, and though I'm not a URM I didn't plan on putting my ethnicity down, even if it had helped me. Good to know people like you are out there, not just looking for a free pass. With that said, you have a great chance anywhere and everywhere, Native American or not.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Pretty sure you could get a free ride at Dartmouth with the right stats.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Hadn't looked at your stats. For sure, talk to Dartmouth. Don't know if the free ride is just for NH residents, but the school has a real interest in and commitment to Native Americans.

By Pink17 (Pink17) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

you're in. you can spit in the face of your interviewer, pee on the floor, and then slap them and you'll still get in. ivys will be all OVER themselves to grab you, ha ha ha.

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:45 am: Edit

Anjin-

I know where you're coming from when you say you don't want to put your ethnicity. This isn't exactly the same, but I'm not putting my legacies. I have to say though, that if I were you, I really would put that I was Native American. Unlike being a legacy, your unique background means that you can bring something special to the school, and maybe even a whole different perspective to class discussions and the like. I think having people from all different races and ethnicities joining together to learn really is important, since often someone whose family background is a little different can offer you valuable insight into their ways and customs. Your acceptance would in no way be automatic because of your race- you're clearly a very intellegent and qualified candidate. In this case, I really don't see it as being favored for having the right parents, but as having a special quality that can bring much needed diversity to a great school. You sound like a great person as well as a talented student, and any college would be lucky to have you- Native American or not.

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:57 am: Edit

You would be a great candidate! BUT, I am wondering what EC activities you participate in. What recommendations will you receive from?

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:08 am: Edit

Anjin, I echo Elizabeth22, you would not be accepted to universities solely on your ethnicity. I appreciate and applaud that you do not want to be judged by your ethnicity, but by your accomplishments. However, your ethnicity should be viewed as a gift, not an accident of birth. I believe this for everyone. Good luck in your search.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:53 am: Edit

Besides, your credentials are well above average, even by Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford standards. Its not like you will be taking the place of someone more worthy. I would say you owe it to yourself and your family.

Furthermore, so many students will benefit from your views and experiences. Its a win-win if you ask me. Don't feel like you would be taking advantage by filling in the Race box. You earned that right...not because of your ethnic background, but as alongfortheride and a few others have so aptly point out, thanks to your amazing accomplishments.

By Sunset_Yellow (Sunset_Yellow) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

put down your ethnicity, if you don't, the admissions people may mistake you as an Asian American (based on your impeccable scores and the fact that you do not want to put your race down and your unique name), then you lose a significant portion of your chances. If you put down your race, you ARE a sure admit anywhere. Seriously, apply to Harvard for safety.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

True about Dartmouth. They have some way of giving qualified native americans scholarships, although I am not sure how they do it.

By Cangel (Cangel) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:13 am: Edit

Anjin, I'm generally a dedicated foe of AA, for some of the reasons you mentioned - it affirms a state of "victimness" without truly helping enough bright, truly underprivileged students - that's an argument for another day.
I agree in your case with ELizabeth22 - you bring unique diversity to a campus community, in the spirit of the best intentions of AA. You are a very strong candidate in your own right. If you are active in Ojib culture, and you identify as such, put it down, or use it in an essay or discuss it in an interview if you don't want to mark a box on a form. If you don't particularly self-identify with the culture of your background - I respect your mature qualms with taking advantage of an accident of birth - having said that, if I was your Mom, I'd probably say don't look a gift horse, well, you know.
Be sure you find a school that is a great fit, because you can go anywhere

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:40 am: Edit

"Hadn't looked at your stats. For sure, talk to Dartmouth. Don't know if the free ride is just for NH residents, but the school has a real interest in and commitment to Native Americans."

"True about Dartmouth. They have some way of giving qualified native americans scholarships, although I am not sure how they do it."

-We do all remeber why Dartmouth was founded right?

"Dartmouth's original purpose was to "Christianize", instruct and educate Youth of the Indian Tribes in this Land"

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page