From NJ, wanna go to out of state schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: From NJ, wanna go to out of state schools
By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Hey, I was wondering what my chances(if any) are at Rutgers, UMich-AA, any of the UCs, McGill, U of Chicago, Duke, and U of MD.

I plan on majoring in Bio(pre-med).

Here are my stats:

Asian Male
New Jersey
UW GPA 3.7
SAT I: 1270 690M, 580V(retaking in Oct)
SAT II: 700 Bio-M, 700 IIC, writing in Oct
AP scores: 4 Bio, 2 US hist

All AP/Honors classes for duration of HS
VP of Stock Market, captain of award winning robotics team(FIRST robotics), 2 years tennis, 3 years academic league, 3 years math league, 3 years science league, NHS, summer internship at Rutgers, and mini-med school at UMDNJ, volunteer at hospital, and have a job.

My grades fluctuated a lot throughout HS because some of my immediate family memberS have had severe(fatal) health problems. For example, I failed my US history 1 midterm but got A's for the year.

Does my "interesting" personal story help me at all with admissions? My dad went to U of Chicago so does that help me with them?

By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Anyone?

By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

No takers?

By Barrons (Barrons) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

Look at Wisconsin for bio.

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Sorry, Vq35dett, but you will need a major advance in the SAT to have a chance at any UC, or Michigan, Maryland, Duke or Chicago.

For majoring in bio/pre-med, (cost aside) you should think about smaller schools in the tri-state area, especially Pennsylvania, where your being an Asian may be helpful in gainng admittance and where you may have a chance at getting the good grades you will need for medical school acceptance.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Actually several UCs and UMd are matches or better.

By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

Thanks

By Harpgirl27 (Harpgirl27) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

You should be able to get into McGill, especially if you get that SAT up to a 1300 or above.

If you're interested in pre med, consider the University of Washington as a possible match/reach.

By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

What public college has the best pre-med program?

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Work on your SAT's but don't write your college essay on the deaths of your family members and that's why it impacted your grades. If you must have your guidance counselor say something about it BRIEFLY in a letter of rec or something. B/c if you jerry springerize your essay you'll be up against leukemia patient, cancer survivors, etc.

By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Gotcha.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Univeristy of Penn is very good. so is john hopkins, emory, washington unversity at st. louis. Also it depends if you're looking for an accelerated program to finish in 6 or 7 years. Brown university has one, so does the university of florida and university of miami.

By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

I'd love to get into a 6, 7, or 8 year program but my stats simply won't get me into any of the accelerated programs. Anyone know how good Rutgers biology/pre-med is?

By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Do I have a chance at any UC?

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

i think you have a really really really tough chance of getting into a uc, out of staters only make up about 3 percent of most of the school, and i think to get in your SAT has to be in the 1400+ maybe 1500+, why uc's? when they'll come out costing basically of what a private school will be like, if you want to be in cali how about just looking into u of san diego, usc, pepperdine, u of san francisco, etc?

By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

I'm not interested in going to schools in Cali just because they are in Cali. I'm just looking for the best overall schools that are within my reach.

What is the best pre-med program that you folks think I can get into?

By Zetsui (Zetsui) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

you have to be kidding guys F and these schools? I know an asian with almost the same stats and a 1330 he had an F in chem and was rejected from rutgers he endedu p going to penn state. F is a VERY serious thing I hope you take that into consdertaion

Pre-med isn't an easy major AT ALL I would TRY for the UMDNJ as I have been there myself and it is incredible but again that grade

By Vq35dett (Vq35dett) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Will one bad grade on a midterm for a class that I finished with an A in kill me?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page