Wait-listed last year? Should I try UMich again?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Wait-listed last year? Should I try UMich again?
By Rmehney (Rmehney) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:19 am: Edit

Well, I'm having thoughts of re-applying this fall...I have always really wanted to go to UMich (both of my siblings go there). What do you think?

I can't decide if I should apply as a freshman or as a transfer for winter term (even though I wouldn't have any credits at the time I apply). I will be attending Michigan State this fall, unfortunately.

After graduating my stats look like this...
3.75 UW GPA (3.675 UW last time I applied)
27 ACT
In-state
5 APs
White male
Both siblings attend
Pretty good ECs I'd say (I'll go in-depth if you wish)

I applied to LS&A, but I'd be willing to apply to a different program if it meant getting in (I know that sounds desperate, but I am).

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

you got waitlisted???
wow, your stats look pretty good for umich-ann arbor...ESPECIALLY since you're instate, and both of your siblings attended...

i think you should try again- you just might've been unlucky

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Actually Stuckat, the mean at Michigan, if you aren't a minority (and Rmehney is not a minority) and wish to get into the schools of Art and Sciences or the Engineering, is a 3.9 unweighed GPA with a tough course load, a 30 on the ACT and 90% graduate in the top 10% of their class. Most non URM in-stater students who apply with less than a 3.8 GPA and a score under 28 on the ACT get rejected.

Rmehney, I would try again but for heaven's sake, try to break the 29 on your ACT. As it stands, your chances aren't going to be good. Of course, if you retake the ACT and you get the same score, I would still apply, but your chances won't be good.

You mentioned applying to another school. You can always apply to the school of Natural Resource Management. Their mean ACT score is 26. But transfering to the college of LSA is not always easy.

By Rmehney (Rmehney) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

I've never heard of the school of Natural Resource Management? Do you have any more information about it?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

It is actually called the School of Natural Resources and Environment.

http://www.snre.umich.edu/

Here you go chief.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page