Am I "above average" enough for my top colleges?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Am I "above average" enough for my top colleges?
By Sweetorchid (Sweetorchid) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:57 am: Edit

Hi!
I am a rising senior girl and am trying to decide where to apply to colleges this fall, and I am wondering if I am actually qualified for my top colleges.
The schools I am looking at are:
Boston College, Duke, Boston University, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Northeastern, and Stonybrook.

Based on this basic information I was hoping to be evaluated.

Unweighted GPA: 3.72
I have taken the most challenging courseload available, including 10 honors, 9 regular, and 3 AP courses and 2 regular this coming year.

The results of my standardized tests so far are:

SAT I: Verbal: 770
Math: 690

SAT II: Writing: 700
Biology(M): 690
Math IIC: 680

AP European History: 4
AP Biology: 4

I anticipate fairly strong letters of recommendation, but I have heard different opinions on the importance of these letters.

My extracurriculars are fairly weak; I have participated in several drama productions, and I am active in chorus and other singing groups, I am also a part of the National Honor Society, and have played on the varsity tennis team the past two years (and as a freshman when it was a club sport.)
In addition, I am an active volunteer through my church.

I appreciate any input you can give.

Thank you.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

Reach (All in order of difficulty)
Dartmouth
Duke
Georgetown

Match
Boston College,
Boston University

Safety
Northeastern

If I were you I'd apply ED to Dartmouth or Duke, depending on whether a 3.72 is top 10% at your school. If its not, I'd apply Early to Georgetown or Boston College. You should get into BU without much problem. I would add some more reach/matches like UVA, UNC, etc.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

For Duke, Dartmouth or Georgetown early decision may help. I know Duke is very difficult regular decision for females- friend with 1530's. never even an A- in her life, stellar resume, All Ap's offered, top 4 in large class highly ranked HS waitlisted at Duke. She was later accepted off the waitlist.I aagree that Georgetown may be a little easier. You have an impressive resume , congrads and good luck!

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

ED at Duke or Dartmouth. At Georgetown EA does not raise your chance of admission.

By Sweetorchid (Sweetorchid) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Thanks so much!

By Mikey13 (Mikey13) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:37 am: Edit

I might move some of those matches into that safty cat. BU is probably easier to get into than BC, but both are well below your stats.

By Sweetorchid (Sweetorchid) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

I have a question then, can anyone tell me of any more "matches?" Also, would retaking my SAT IIs help my chances?

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

"Matches"

Tufts
Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
UVA

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

If you haven't visited the Boston schools, you could add Tufts and Brandeis to your list.

UNC and UVA are tricky out of state - even with excellent stats.

Do you have any objections to LAC's? Vasser might be interesting.

By Sweetorchid (Sweetorchid) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

One of the other stumbling blocks is that nursing is my top major and many of the more prestigious schools don't offer that...Pre-Med is offered at most of the other colleges I've considered, but with nursing being my passion it's been hard to come up with other schools...any advice? Also, I would love to be in a city, which makes it even more difficult!

By Sweetorchid (Sweetorchid) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

anyone else would be much appreciated!

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

University of Pennsylvania has a small but excellent nursing school. You apply directly to the nursing school. Your best bet would be ED.

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

Duke would be a good match. Other very good LAC's would be Davidson, Holy Cross-50 minutes from Boston, and Bowdoin. Tufts, Brandeis and Holy Cross are all very good match for academics and sports.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page