Chances for Cali schools and where else should I apply

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances for Cali schools and where else should I apply
By Smazn (Smazn) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

Hi! I'm going to be a senior in California and am looking forward to applying to the UCs (UCLA, UCB, UCSD, UCI, UCD), USC, and Stanford.

SAT I: 800M 630V March 2004 (November 2003 540V 730 M)(i know, Pretty low verbal; third retake in October; hopefully a 1500)
SAT IIs: Writing 700 (retake in November; hopefully 750+)
Chem 800
IIC 800
GPA: 4.3 Weighted (top 10% at top school in LA County) All A's except for 1 B in an AP class during sophmore year.
will have about 6 APs by end of senior year
AP Bio 5
AP Chem 5
other APs to be taken: calc BC, stats, spanish language, physics B.
Extracurriculars:
Piano (11 years)
Advance level in Certificate of Merit Piano Exams
Doing last advance level for National Guild Auditions
Research Assistent at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles (affiliated with USC med school) (over 300 hours)
Math Club, CSF, other volunteer clubs...

OK essay, but stellar recs
oh ya, i'm also asian...

looking forward to go into medical field (MD)...
i really want to get into usc's combined BA/MD program...

where should I apply ED/EA?
criticism and suggestions are welcomed... what other schools should i apply to (out of state okay)?

Thanxs...

By Bettina (Bettina) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

Do you go to public school? For sure you will get into UC's, prob your top picks, too. I don't know about that particular USC prog, but otherwise you will likely get in there.

The thing about Stanford is that when they build their class, a factor they consider is geographical diversity. Even though 50% are from CA, a large number of CA residents like to stay in state and apply to Stanford so you are competing against a larger pool of applicants for 1/2 the slots there. That's what will make Stanford a little more difficult admit for instate.

By Smazn (Smazn) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:03 am: Edit

I got to a public high school that is ranked number #1 in la county.

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:54 am: Edit

UCLA, UCB and USC would be secure matches, and I'm quite certain you'd get into one of them at least, with UCD and UCI pretty much in the bag for you. As for Stanford, well, it's up in the air...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page