For Early Decision 1 - Emory

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: For Early Decision 1 - Emory
By David50687 (David50687) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm a Florida senior who wants to apply Early Decision I to Emory. I'd like to know whether I have a real shot at the school or if I should save the ED and apply elsewhere. A simple yes, I should apply, or no, I shouldn't try will mean a lot. Thanks.

4.0 unweighted (5.1 weighted)
10 out of 785
740 Math, 630 Verbal (1370)
No SAT IIs yet - taking them next
President of SADD and Save What's Left - both for 2 straight years
Sports Editor 2 straight years
Staff Manager of Newspaper- Senior year
Will finish high school having taken 8 APs
Historian-NHS
Treasurer-Model UN
Member of Class student council-4 years
Winner- best sports writer in county - 2 straight years

Great Recommendations
Good to great Essay

I did one of these for Columbia, but I visited both schools and have made up my mind, how will i fare?

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

Dave...

You should fare well. If you like Emory better than Columbia, then my opinion is a 'yes'. Emory is numbers driven. ED is a big plus at Emory. Your SAT score is towards the higher end of the middle 50%, so you have a good shot.

A teacher and/or extra recommendation would be a good idea. For instance, I asked an AP teacher and one of my extra-curricular advisors to write recommendations, eventhough I'm applying RD to Emory.

Make sure the additional recommendations give Emory's ad-com further insight into your character (e.g. drive, motivation, dedication, interests) and uniqueness.

Emory also tracks your demonstrated interest in the university, so contacting a student or a department that interests you is a plus.

I would also recommend ordering a video for the Emory website, as the company that produces the DVDs lets the ad com know that you are interested in Emory.

Sorry this is a bit long, but I hope this helps.

PS--Vandy is another good southern university.

By David50687 (David50687) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

thanks blaineko, by the way, is seriously considered vandy for a long time, in fact, right now, it's the only school that has a shot to change my mind. However, I'm 95% sure I'm going to apply ED to Emory

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Dave...

Kewl. I'm applying to both Emory and Vandy too. Thought about Duke, but I liked the feel of Vandy and Emory better. I like Atlanta better than Nashville, but the universities are very close together on my list. I might add Chapel Hill to my list, though.

Anyways, good luck on your apps. I'm positive you'll do well.

By David50687 (David50687) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

Plus, Emory's a few thousand bucks cheaper than vandy... that'll save a lot of money in the long run... thanks again, good luck to you too

By David50687 (David50687) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

anyone else?

By David50687 (David50687) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

?

By David50687 (David50687) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

just give me a percentage chance... that's all i really need

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

I think you should defninely apply to Emory ED. Columbia ED doesn't really increase your chances...so Emory ED I say you have about a 65% chance...if you decided on Vanderbilt, I'd say its about the same. Northwestern is another school that accepts ALOT more ED applicans (about 50% opposed to 25% RD). It's somewhat similar to the schools you are looking at and Chicago (which is close to Evanston) is better than Nashville or Atlanta, in my opinion

By David50687 (David50687) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

i need more input guys

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

You will get into Emory 80% chance

By Clacro18 (Clacro18) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:03 am: Edit

Hey Dave... Im also a Florida student planning on applying ED1 to Emory. Rice is also up there on my list.

By Jl87d (Jl87d) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:08 am: Edit

No expert, But I think you should apply ed to Emory.
I think you'll improve your chances of exeptance a good 15%. 70% sure you'll get in.
Good luck,
:-)(-:

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Yay, the potential class of 2009!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page